2004 Pontiac Grand Am

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Dependable GM Basic Transportation with a V6

by GMLTZJockey from NorthEastern USA | September 2, 2013

Purchased as a CPO with 18Kmi for high schooler, and returned to step-dad & mom after completed M.B.S. Degree and New 2013 Honda Civic EXL Coupe as her 1st new vehicle purchase/lease as she begins teaching middle school math. The 1st yrs pmts were paid as well as 1st yr of insurance as grad gift. Will live at home as mom & step-dad have retired and spend winters in Fl & summers in North Eastern Coastal USA. -This Grand Am SE1 has been a great vehicle for the needs it filled. It has 113,200 miles and has had all regular servicing done at GM dealer. Only problems ever were in the very 1st yr of ownership when it needed new front pads & rotors ever 3-4 months. Ended up receiving 2-yrs 30Kmi free service contract from GM for the inconvenience of so many repairs of the same parts & time required. GM did end up allowing servicing dealership to drill 2 small holes in rotors allowing them to cool better thus no more problems with the front brakes having premature wearing due to inadequate venting a design flaw found common on Grand Am, Malibu & Oldsmobile Alero. Other than this, there have been ZERO problems and I must remind you, we did all servicing as per owners manual except oil changes which were done every 3-months or 5K mi and NOT as the cars oil life monitor dictated, for that would have been closer to every 10K miles or about every 6-mo. All of our vehicles get there oil changed every 3-months regardless of miles unless they exceed 5K ! But with 2-NY vehicles & 2-Fl vehicles we seldom hit the 5K mi mark. Its every 3-months for both SUV's & sdn's. Gm has some great products and we will always have a GM vehicle in our garage's.

Very nice car

by Bob or Bobby from Nelsonville Ohio | April 21, 2013

This is where a brother and sister work together to make your car buying as easy as it gets. Very helpful on the phone and in person, even sent me a carfax before I came up for a test drive. Believe me , It was my pleasure doing business with you.

2002 Grand Am GT

by Flash from Pittsburgh, PA | September 5, 2012

I bought my car in 2004 with 38,000 miles on it. I now have 176,000 miles on it. I have kept up on the maintaince on the car for the last eight years. I have the 3.4 engine in it. It has been very reliable car. The only major items I had to replace were a fuel pump around 110,00 miles and an ignition switch around 160,000 mi. The engine still runs great but the transmission is starting to make a noise, but what vehicals wouldn't with 176,000 miles. I would reccomend this car to anyone.

Too bad they stopped making them!

by Vinnie from Youngstown, OH | September 1, 2012

My 2004 Grand Am has close to 200,000 miles and starts, runs, stops, and turns, the same today as it did when i bought it '05. I wish they still made them, I'd buy another one. I've had only minor problems with it.

Reliable

by beast from Monticello,NY. | May 7, 2012

My Pontiac is very reliable, good on gas, it has 124,000 miles, 2.2 4 cyl. a/c cruise 5 spd. manual, handles great in all traffic conditions. Grand Am is comfortable sleek looking machine. I will always like Pontiac this is my third one. Buy one and see how good they are.

This was my Grand Am 1G2NF52E34M540245

by Previous owner of this car from Kansas City, MO | May 6, 2012

I bought this Grand Am in Dec 2004. It had approx 25000 miles on it at the time. Other than oil changes, the only repairs I did to it where front brake pads and rotors, new battery, and new tires. I drove the vehicle for 7+ years and it never left me on the side of the road or gave me any problems at all. I even drove it from KC to Georgia and back one year on vacation. My only reason for selling it was to move up to a SUV for more versatility and after 7 yrs it was time for a change. The mileage is accurate. I sold it with just under 73000 on it. This is a great car and to my knowledge has no major problems with it. I decided to write this review because I hate buying a used car and not knowing what your getting. If you buy this car you should be able to drive with no worries. I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy the car as much as I did.

GREAT FIRST CAR!!!

by Chris from Inver Grove Heights, MN | November 28, 2011

I bought this car about a month and a half ago, and have already put 300 miles on it, not because I had to, but because I love driving it!!! It is an amazing car, its quick, speedy, flashy, it can really turn heads. I absolutely love this car! It has a great interior, I love the red glow of the gauges, the standard, that's right, the standard sound system is STELLAR! No need to even think about getting aftermarket speakers :) I love the sturdiness and the thickness of the steering wheel, too. Now when I drive my dad's Chevy Malibu, it feels weak. And I love Chevy's too, so that's saying something. The 3.4 V6 is outstanding. It's amazingly reliable (same engine as in my dad's Malibu, its still going strong at 175,000 miles). It has great get up and go, my girlfriend freaks out every time I punch the gas (awesome!) haha. I absolutely love this car, and in twenty years when I might finally decide to sell it, I'll probably cry. :D

Nice Car

by Grad Student from Akron, OH | December 6, 2010

I have the 2.2 liter SE, automatic. What I like best: Fuel Economy! I get 35+ mpg highway. I have a two hour highway commute four times a week, and I only need to fill up the 12 gal. tank once a week. (I also once took a weekend trip with three other people in the car, and the initial fill-up lasted the entire trip. Friends were amazed.) What I like least: Performance. Acceleration isn't great, and usually takes a while to shift. As with most smaller cars, you need to be extra careful when driving in snow, and this car is no exception.

2004 Grand Am/Alero

by Consumer Report from Texas | June 25, 2010

For 2004 the Grand Am and Alero had many 'neat' features. The leather interior is soft, the ride is fairly quiet, and the height adjustment is great. However, the rear seat is awkward. The legroom is minimal, and the windows are high. The trunk is descent, and mainly suited for groceries and brief cases, not luggage. A major plus is how quickly both models cool down in the heat, and heat up in the winter, due to its design. The Grand Am and Alero are best suited for young families, or commuting.

Very Happy Owner

by OKTony from Oklahoma | May 26, 2010

My first car I bought was the 2004 Grand Am..an uneducated purchaser at the time I bought it for the MPG and the looks. I totaled the first one in a wreck but I purchased another simply because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of researching a new car to find. Only issues I had were the water pump going out on both as well as the signal switch...the relay under the dash would always click when the signals were turned off....very annoying but an easy fix. Overall I recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a good quality, sporty looking car that won't go out on you every few weeks. My second was just totalled after the recent hail here in Oklahoma....and now I 'am' being bothered to research and get a different type. Thank you GM for the 5 years....let's see what else is out there.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Grand Am