1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

Available in 3 styles:  Grand Prix 2dr Coupe GT shown
$382–$5,494

Overall

Great car, lots of problems

by grandprixowner from St. Paul, MN | January 8, 2013

I have owned this car for just over a year and a half and I love the car, just not how many repairs it needs. I have about 150,000 miles on it (got it with 136,000) and I have put $7,000 into this car and it still is having problems. It is not just me having these problems, I have 2 friends who have the 3.8 liter non supercharged engine and both have had problems with them. On the other hand, I know another person who has one and has had extremely good luck with his. Other than reliability problems, I love this car. It is pleasant to drive as well as to ride in. I have a loaded GT model with all the options and it feels luxurious. It also will get fairly good fuel economy on the highway (I have gotten 27.8 mpg as my personal best) and city fuel consumption is about average for its time (between 16 and 19 mpg). I would recommend this car if you had it looked over by a good mechanic and he thinks that it is in good shape (but if he thinks there are a few problems, look for another one because there are more than just a few problems). If you find a good one (not just looks good, I made that mistake) you will love this car.

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT sedan

by superquest from | May 19, 2012

If your in the market to buy a used car and want a good looking very reliable sedan than the Grand Prix GT is the one for you. Anybody who has had any of GM's cars with the 3800 V6 in it will tell you it's a great engine for power, gas milege, long life, and most important reliability. I'll always have at least 1 car at my house with the 3800 in it for those reasons. This is a great 2nd car or for the 16 year old newbie on the road. It's front wheel drive so it's great in rain and snow. Plus with it's sleek aerodynamic appearance and spoiler makes it very stylish for young drivers who are bias against sedans and say "4 doors are so uncool" . Your worried about safety and they're worried about looks so you get the best of both worlds. You won't be disappointed. This body style goes from 1997-2003.

Drives better than most new cars!

by Evora7 from StLouis, Mo/Alton, IL | February 8, 2011

This was my first vehicle, I had the 3.1L V6 Auto. This car is solid; tough frame, hard body, great gas mileage, smooth ride. Non-comparable to any new vehicle. Gets about 20/27 mpg. The car has been in 2 accidents and still runs amazing. High speed crash, but no damage to the engine components, just the exterior. I have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. But if you're looking into purchasing one of these make sure you get the DexCool issue resolved (radiator fluid).

cHEVROLETS10

by BrianG from Souyh Hadley Mass | November 10, 2010

I hae owned 2 s10 s one had 245000 and the other had 270000 and still run fine but the cab mounts are rotted because of snow salt

230,000 miles and still going...

by TXOutlw from Garland, TX | July 8, 2010

I have had this car for about 7 years and am looking at taking to 300,000. The engine is a very reliable engine. I did have to replace the supercharger after 180,000 miles. But they say they only last about 120,000..;-)) I even have a trailer hitch on it and tow my motorcycle on occassions and make trips to the home improvement store and trailer back big items. I can nurse about 28-29 mpg on the highway if I behave myself as well and get a solid 20 mpg around town regardless. Car drives and handles well and very little maintenance.

The best car I have ever owned

by Rissa from Roseau | September 3, 2009

I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix with the one with the V-8 engine in it, and I love it! I have never had a car as reliable as this one is, and I know that my best friend would buy on if she could find one. It is an awesome Pontiac, and I think that I will fix this one forever. Thank you Pontiac!

Love this car

by Smiles from Kingston ont | November 23, 2008

We bought this 98 grand prix new in 98 if I could give it more stars as far as reliability goes I would, my wife drives it most of the time to work so we only have 70klm on it the only problems we have had has been the power window switch on the drivers side (I think someone left the window open and it rained on it electronics and rain dont mix)and they are $200 to replace and a rear coil spring, and of course the normal things like brakes, tires, in fact it still has the original battery in it, and being a mechanic 5years is about the max for a battery, as the four stars for comfort, I'm 6ft and a big guy I find that getting in and out is a workout with the small doors as this is the 4door model, but I would not get rid of this car for anything, and I'm supprised that one of us has not gotten a ticket for speeding in it, that 3800 mtr really hauls butt, NICE CAR GM I hope that you keep making great cars like this and I will keep buying GMs I have learned my lesson from Nissan, I'm coming back to the family.

Hard to touch

by One Great 98 from East Norwich N.Y. | September 10, 2008

Even after 10+ years and 93,000 + miles of trouble free driving, still have not performed tune up and still get overall 21mpg and still take all comers off the line and beyond. Would by the 98 again!

Best vehicle i've ever owned

by Car guy from Boston MA | October 14, 2007

The Gtp supercharged version is one of the fastest V6 cars i have ever had the priverlage of driving.

I love this car!

by Iluvcars2 from florida usa | September 27, 2007

I bought this car used. It has so much power and great pickup never left me in the middle of the road. I havent really had any problems with it just the basic regular maintenance..Its surely the best car Ive ever owned!:)

Featured Services for this Pontiac Grand Prix