2005 Pontiac GTO

See Photos & Videos

Overall

JVP

by Owner of classic cars for 40 years. from | August 14, 2013

Have had other GM classic cars and now also have a current GTO. This vintage GTO would be the tops for performance and style.

A unique blend of performance & comfort.

by Ultraworld from Orlando FL | August 12, 2013

Purchased new in '05, it now has 36k miles. In 8yrs it has never needed a repair. The interior is amazing. The most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. The quality of all the materials is outstanding. The ride on the highway is soft & smooth, it idles at highway speeds. The cockpit is very quiet, the car feels expensive. For better handling, there are now reasonably priced kits to firm things up. Think of it as an executive's car with a 400/400 hp/tq engine & 6 speed manual, The brakes are strong and fade free on the street. I never tire of it, I love opening the garage & seeing those big tailpipes. I added a high quality sound system. The only performance mods are a Lingenfelter CAI, JBA headers & high flow cats, a 3" Magnaflow exhaust that is quieter than the stock exhaust below 3k rpm. A dyno tune for sea level makes 365hp to the rear wheels. It's perfect for me & I am keeping this one.

Bought the car as a retirement gift to myself

by DAHILLA from LAPORTE TX | March 20, 2013

After a year of research I purchased a 2005 gto with 35k miles on the vehicle. The car is very clean and a pure joy to drive. The suspension issues are well documented on the internet forums. I have had the vehicle for about three months and have been approached a number of times by persons wanting to buy the vehicle. IT is not for sale! It is the phantom black, auto, 18 inch wheels AWESOME CAR

Great Car

by B from Boston | February 3, 2013

I have owned my '05 with a 6 speed manual for 2.5 years. The engine is fantastic. Very smooth and very strong. Car does not handle/corner very well, but it is very comfortable and has a big back seat that even people over 6 feet tall are comfortable in. (ie. great for kids, even with the 2 doors) The GTO is much more of a muscle car than sports car, but always fun to run thru the gears and you can throw it around a turn if you want to, but don't expect it to hold a turn like a true sports car or even the modern Camaro or Mustang. That said, the engine is so great that I can't say enough about it. It is smooth from 1,000 rpm to 6,000 rpm and you can keep it in 1st gear up to 45 mph and cruise in 1st at 35 and the car seems very happy to do it. I'm very attached this car and plan to keep it for a very long time...

Love it.

by Nickname from Missouri | January 11, 2012

very happy with it. If your not a car enthusiast steer clear. Its sort of a specialty car. Needs some suspension work and it only has 39k. But I love it so much I don't care. Paid 16k for it so it was a steal. I would not recommend this car for a daily driver due to the city milage and suspension issues. It eats tires like crazy. But that's also caused by a heavy right foot.

Rare Care, Always Fun

by Ryan F from Your Mom's House | January 9, 2012

First off, the negatives: 1. Suspension Bushings are junk and probably destroyed when the car was imported from Australia (yes, it's Australian - A Holden). Replacing with OEM is not advisable - use aftermarket, ie. Pedders. This can cost over a grand when your all said and done. 2. Parts are rare and come from Australia - think BMW cost maintenance, only you have to wait longer to get them...like, reeeeeealy long. 3. 6-speed manual is rubbery. 4. (see item 1) GM has somehow dodged a investigation about unsafe and rapid tire wear caused by suspension problems. Why I love it: 1. The suspension upgrades are something I'd do anyway and makes the car an M3 killer 2. 400 HP 3. Did I mention that it has 400 HP? 4. Owning a "new" GTO means that you own a car that is increasingly rare. I can drive for days without seeing one. 5. I feel like I p***-off every Prius owner I drive by as my V8 roars. It's the simple things in life that bring me pleasure. 6. The styling continues to grow on me and will prove to be timeless. 7. The interior is incredibly nice. I love this car enough to be on my second one. I'd recommend a GTO to anyone who is responsible enough to handle it.

Fastest car Ive owed

by Supreme Racer from Fridley, MN | December 19, 2011

The GTO is an amazing car. I would reccommend this car to anyone. The performance is wonderful. Its also pretty cheap for the performance u get. If u want a fast car I say get one NOW.

GTO Fanatic

by Mikemoney178 from | August 21, 2010

I had the opportunity to test-drive the 2005 GTO at the end of '04 at one of GM's last Autoshow in Motion events in Houston, Texas. I've been hooked ever since. Impressed!

Fast, room for 4 adults and great handling car

by Lighting from Sheboygan WI | August 6, 2010

I always wanted a Corvette, but not any more. this is a great/fun car and I have room for grandchildren and golf clubs!

Biggest bang for the buck

by JOHN [ DIZZY ] from CT | February 26, 2010

My 05 GTO has been completely trouble free since purchased new in January 2005. True muscle car performance with Caddy comfort. It is a Corvette with a back seat. Low production numbers makes the chance of seeing one on the road very rare. If you can find one, get it. It's closest competition in price is the Mustang but the GTO is twice as nice as the out dated styling and cheap looking interior offered by the Mustang .

Featured Services for this Pontiac GTO