2000 Pontiac Montana

See Photos & Videos

Overall

blah

by JC from phx | October 20, 2012

Same as the other dicouraged people. Intake,Slideing Doors stoped working ugh. Wiring issues. Allways need freeon and if that isnt enough now a transmission sensor is going out. Mechanic says to get to it you may as well replace tranny while your in. My niece had one same issues. Must be good ones and bad ones. Havve babied this one way to long!!!

I have That one

by atla-cars from texas | September 29, 2010

I was Owner miniva, it's was great perform and comfort to all family, also to travel it is very safety, on the road and economic fuel

Still loving the Montana

by Montana Momma from New Jersey | April 27, 2010

Great vehicle for the last 8 years. Bought it new in 2002 and had a problem with air conditioning 2 years ago. Cost 150 bucks and it is still working strong. I have 131,000 miles on it now and not looking to give it up except for the fact that I no longer need an 8 passenger van...kids are all grown and no more car pools...yea! I would defninitely buy it again. Very comfortable for handling a number of people with luggage. Gas mileage averaged 24 miles HW. Still in great condition. No problems with electrical.

Versatile Performer

by Minivan Man from Kansas City | June 15, 2009

This van does it all. From hauling big broods long distances to swallowing the largest load of cargo, our Pontiac Montana never encountered a challenge it could not meet. Comfortable seating for 7. The Captain's Chairs and leather are a must have for trips. The Pontiac performs better on the road than its GM counterparts because of the special sport suspension package available only on the Montana. It turns tighter and handles the corners better than other minivans we drove. The cabin is laid out well, with separate controls and air conditioning for rear passengers. And when you're not hauling people, popping out the seats for cargo is a breeze! Perhaps the one feature that turns heads the most is the built-in air compressor. When my brother-in-law had a flat, I simply pulled up next to him, hooked up the air hose to my car and his tire was inflated in no time. That blew him away. It's handy for things like that, but primarily is used with air shocks to provide a more comfortable ride. You can get a Honda Odyssey for $5,000 more and probably have a more reliable vehicle. In the end we had to ask ourselves, is this van going to cost us more than $5,000 in repairs? In 9 years, the answer is still no. We've done some repairs that we probably would not have had on a Honda, but not $5,000 worth to justify the difference in upfront costs. It's been a great perfomer for us. And if you take care of it, the Montana will take care of you.

Grade E

by Sucker from Michigan | May 20, 2009

Well we purchase the Montana brand new loaded. The problems started with tire wear the original tires started vibrating with 10,000 mi. the dealer told us there was nothing they could do and charged us for a 4 wheel alignment this did not help. We have replaced tires on average every 25,000mi the best tire will last about 40,000 that is an 80,000 mi. tire. During warranty the van was in many time’s for video player, power door never has work right, rear windshield wiper motor, excessive tire wear, power locks, fuel gauge. At 64000 mi. the transmission went out then again at 150,000. Intake gaskets at 75,000, head gasket at 95,000 and again at 195,000. The engine transmissions have no reliability. The Montana repairs cost more than all of the vehicles we have owned in the past 35 years. Some advise get a Caravan.

Reliable as any friend

by Montana Owner from Cookeville, TN | April 26, 2009

I can't understand those who rate the Montana less than fantastic! We love our Montana! We are selling due to lack of space for the larger vehicle. I noticed one person mentioned the death of some electrical componants, but the side door also has a switch on the main pannel to turn it off for safety options. It may be that you let water into your electrical units, but that is not the manufacturers fault! No vehicle is going to be immune to misuse ! As I said, WE LOVE OUR MONTANA AND WOULD HOLD ITS VALUE TO ANY OTHER IN THE SAME CLASS!

Sadly saying goodbye to my Montana.

by shay from Kansas City MO | May 7, 2008

We bought this van 6 months ago and loved it. It drove like a car, takes good turns, great acceleration, good gas mileage, wonderful visual, comfortable seats, nice amount of space, and fun to drive. The only thing I really didn't like about it was it was fully loaded, and kind of ugly. I know i'm weird. With that being said here is the bad about this van. It has electrical problems. The electronic sliding door went out so now if we open it we have to do it manually. The gas gauge always reads full so we have to keep track of our mileage. The tale light sensor fried due to rain getting in through the back door. It was easilly fixed though, $6 at a junk yard. and the latest was the breaking of the drivers side windsheild wiper arm. Although my husband and I have loved our Montana, it now has 156K and it is time to trade it in. It has served us well and has never failed to start nor has it had any engine problems. All the other stuff to us (minus the windsheld wipers) is small potatoes. Our van was also missing 2 out of the 8 seats. We bought this van for $2,700 Not bad considering the only thing wrong w/ it when we bought it was the missing seats and the tale light. We bought this from an individual. We have never regreated buying this van even with all it's problems. It is both sad and hard to say goodbye to it. I have found that in all the other vans I've test drove I am losing visability! One of the things I loved most about my Montana. Tomorrow I'm test driving 2 Chevy Ventures (an 04' and 05'), let us hope they carry some of the things I loved most about my Montana.

Pay Attention!

by Crystal from Providence, RI | March 14, 2008

I own a 2000 Pontiac Montana its the extended version. It was a rental car before I bought it in 2002. It now has 135,000 miles in 2008. And I pay attention at all times while driving listening for any noises, lights, bells etc. No time to talk on the phone or listen to music because something could be wrong! In the first year I had it, the Head Gasket blew and it was a confirmed defect which I did get reimbersed. I think I replaced the battery once. OH yeah that reminds me...battery life is not good! You can not sit in your car with the engine off and listen to the radio for more than 5 minutes without the car going dead! Could be another defect but I always have to make sure everything is unplugged, off etc or I won't be going anywhere! I have had to replace the tires a few times, power steering fluid hose, hub assemblies, and now there is a wierd vibrating noise that could be the cause of any of the following (according to family with some mechanic knowledge): Engine Mount loose or missing, Tire out of balance, CV Joint, Alignment, a bad tire, no one knows! The mechanic I brought it to either, did not hear the noise that I am talking about, or simply has no idea what it is or could be. I just had to replace the water pump and if I am not constantly going 70mph and I'm at a red light for more than 3 minutes...or if i'm in traffic my car starts to over heat, until I put on the air conditioning...one guy (from a place where I changed my oil) said that I have 2 fans and one is not working? I don't know its like I can't keep up! After all that I have been able to keep it on the road until 2008, but you really have to baby this one along! It cries for your attention more than your kids! I enjoy the spaciousness and I also have a built in car seat that I used a lot when taking out my nieces and nephew. The look of the car is nice too. Definately would have to judge a book by its cover to like this one.

Will need lots of expensive repairs

by BigTom from Elkhorn NE | March 26, 2007

Very comfortable, many convenient features, but don't take it on any long trips. In less than 70,000 miles blew a head gasket, fuel guage broke, needed major brake repair every 20,000 to 25,000 miles, transmission problems.... you get the picture

Comfortable but not reliable

by soccer mom from michigan | February 28, 2007

I had a problem with the head gasket and the whole engine was messed up!!! and heard of many other Montana owners with same problem!!!

Featured Services for this Pontiac Montana