2000 Pontiac Sunfire

$354–$5,650

Overall

Hit or miss

by 3rd sunfire from St. John's NL | October 7, 2014

I've owner 3 sunfires so far. First was a 1996 coupe with the 2.2L. It was a pretty decent car. Had a few issues with the headlight wiring harness. Had the transmission redone at 260,000 kms. Car rolled over 300,000 before the rad blocked causing it to overheat and blow the head gasket. 2nd was a 2001 GT. Loved this car. Great power with the 2.4L and extremely reliable. Exterior styling was excellebt too. Undercoated it and to this day it is rust free. Lost the clutch and computer started to fail at 287,000kms. Now I am driving a 2000 sunfire coupe. Its got 196,000kms. Engine runs excellent. It wasn't undercoated by its former owners so have major rust issues. 3 gas leaks to date, brake lines rusting out, and needed multiple front end repairs. My advice is if your buying a sunfire stay away from rusty ones and get one that has been well maintained and undercoated. The engines will never let you down but transmissions begin to fail around 280,000 I'm my experience.

A great car for what I spent

by Cindy from Newton,Iowa | March 5, 2013

I got more than I was expecting, with a little cosmetic work when I have it painted all will be good as new. The salesmen were extremely helpful, polite & knowledgeable throughout the entire transaction. I'm very happy with my car!

Excellent Car!!!

by JD from Manitowoc, WI | March 27, 2012

I have the GT versoin that i got in 2011 with 161,000 miles on it and it still runs great! Very smooth riding car with an excellent sounding engine! Very little maintence required. Very nice car! If you keep excellent care of it, it will take excellent care of you!

most reliable car i know of

by pontiacs all the way from binghamton ny | March 21, 2011

i had one as well as my sons teenage friend my car rolled 300,000 miles and was running strong when i sold it and my sons friend put his to the limits with taking it off road, speeding, jumping, and playing with the e brake it was running when he sold his to get a pick up

2000 Sunfire Coupe

by Philly from Philadelphia, PA | December 18, 2010

I got the car used in 2002 with about 38,000 miles and have since gotten it up to 143k. I drove until a month ago when I got a knock in the engine. Car was very reliable, it never broke down on me. Over the years I used it equally as a (major) city car (DC/NYC/PHL) as well as a highway commuter. Was relatively low maintenance over the years, and I took pretty good care of it mechanically and ran it on synthetic. I had hoped it would last a bit longer than it has mileage-wise, but I abused it a lot and also drove with a roof rack/bikes for a large portion of the miles. Not a bad vehicle for the money though.

good beater

by 50 cal from Pittsfield, MA | August 4, 2010

This car is a good beater car but thats it. I find the Overall design unattractive and just has poor performance all around if GM ever bring this model car back on the market they need to scrap every design form the old models. A sport car, even a cheap one should have good power, torque, and balance this has none of those aspects.

Great

by College Gal from Indy | July 10, 2009

Although I have replaced things such as the battery and brakes there has not been any super expensive work that has been needed. There are about 110,000 miles and its still going strong!!

Decent car for the money

by JRGofLO from Attica Indiana | February 12, 2009

I bought my 2000 Sunfire se 2.2 bran new in April of 2000. I now have 235,000 miles on it and she's still going strong on many original parts. I've only replaced the Trans (due to misuse, not faulty trans), fuel pump & headlight harness electrical issues and of course the usual wear n tear items (brakes, tires ect..) still has original engine, exhaust, suspension components, altenator, starter. Not bad for a car originally retailing for $14,000

LOVE MY SUNFIRE!!!!!

by Lovemysunfire! from Rhode Island | July 10, 2008

I've been driving my Sunfire for a little over two years. I have had a few minor problems with it since I purchased it, but nothing life threatening; my windshield wiper fluid wasn't spraying, the dash lightbulb blew (I replaced it with an LED light). It's the most comfortable two door that I have been in and all of my friends want me to sell it to them. It's a great car.

Very Good Car

by Smokin Joe from Pittsburgh, PA | October 30, 2007

This car has been great for me. It handles well and drives well in the snow. It is a good car for it's value.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Sunfire