2004 Pontiac Sunfire

2004 Pontiac Sunfire
Available in 2 styles:  2004 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe shown

26 city / 37 hwy

Overall

The best econobox I have owned

by Relentless from Kelowna B.C Canada | October 16, 2012

I bought mine brand new, and have 85,000 kms on it. These cars do have bad factory brake rotors which don't last much longer than 2 years before getting a pulsating brake pedal, but new rotors are dirt cheap. The good: I get 45 miles per gallon on the highway(between 110-115 km/hr) and 32 in the city with my 5 speed. Heat is excellent in the cold winter, the car warms up super fast. I have a trailer hitch and pull my quad on a quad trailer(total weight is 1000lbs) without any problem, and still get excellent mileage. The trunk opening is too small for my liking, but I still can haul 40 2x4 studs home from the hardware store in it! This has been one of the best econoboxes I have ever owned, and basically change oil every 5-6K Kilometers with synthetic oil. I am going to try to get 500,000 kms out of it before thinking about buying something else. Hill climbing power on the highway is pretty decent if you downshift and get the revvs up. If this car wasn't governed at 172 kms/hr, I am sure it would easily do 240 kms/hr based on engine rpm and everything. I would recommend one of these vehicles to anyone looking for a good reliable fuel efficient econobox thats easy to drive, but get a 2003 or newer as the older ones are no good!

What a great girl!!

by Ponti-yakker from Mountains of PA | May 21, 2012

I bought this car new in 04' here it is 12' and I haven't done a thing but routine maintenance. I believe it's how you treat your ride is what you will get out of it.. I live in the mountains and she has taken me up and down them in every storm no problem passing 4x4 SUV's!!I'm sad they stopped makin them, so I'm gonna hold her for as long as she will go.She's quick and love the soft interior.I would definately recommend this to anyone if you can find anymore :)

Great Car

by Mechanic from NJ | January 18, 2012

The pontiac sunfire deserves praise. Is it good on gas. Very comfortable and stylish inside and out. It is still a car of high value. This is my one of many cars i've owned and it is one of the best. My Pontiac has over 150,000 miles and it still feels like new. I bought it when it had 75,000 miles. I've had it for over 2 years and had no problems.

Overview of Pontiac Sunfire

by EcotecLover from | November 4, 2008

This car is great on gas, really reliable, new 2.2L ecotec engine that has 140 HP. Only thing that disappoints me is no side airbags.

Affordable.

by Drivyman from Pittsburgh, PA | May 10, 2007

I've had this car 3 years now and I've been very happy with it. I bought it new for under $11,000.00 US and for a car of that price it's served very well. It handled as well as could be expected in all sorts of weather, the manual transmission gave me lots of flexibility for driving up steep hills. On the down side, the back seat was a pain to get in and out of, the seat release button is not intuitively located, and even though the seats fold down, the trunk and door apertures are rather small. You could haul a lot of small boxes, but you will have a hard time moving any single medium to large item like a large office chair or new air conditioner in the box.

It's Junk

by Brandon from PA | March 27, 2007

In August of 2006 I got the 2004 Sunfire (SE) Edition off a good dealer in town. I paid a good price and thought it was a good price, BUT then it went down hill from there. The car smelled 2 weeks after I got it and it was cleaned. Up until January 2007 the car was cleaned 6-7 times professional. I know its not the car fault (Well the material is cheap so it can't be cleaned so yeah it sort of is), but the previous owners covered it up from the dealer OR the dealer themselves covered it up. Anyways I got it at 19,100 and put 8,000 (95% from the highway) miles on it. Overall the car is stylish, but its not great at all. The Eagle Sport tires that come with it are junk also. I had to replace those 2 weeks ago with some nice BridgeStone Fuzion's. The suspension is horrible on this car and you feel every bump. The sunroof will evently break on you like it did to me also. I mean if you need a car to get around the city then this is great, but if you need to travel 100-200 miles a week then pay the extra thousands and get a better car. Now I know why Pontiac discontinued the car in 2005/2006. It's plain junk! The dealer is allowing me to trade the car in because of the smell and all the problems this car has caused me. So I am looking to go with another Pontiac model or Mazda, but like I said before....pay the extra thousands and get a good car like a....Mazda 6 s.

Very decent el cheapo

by Previous big car owner from Phoenix | March 19, 2007

The car has pretty good pick up, corners fairly well and is reliable. After 9 months sitting in a garage my Sunfire required only a cable jump and a little bit of air in the tires.

Not what I expect from GM

by None from Chicago suburbs | March 13, 2007

At 20,000 miles had to have head gasket replaced, I'm lucky it was covered by warranty. At 21, 000 miles front brakes had to be replced. This car is 5 spead manual transmission, I don't brake a lot, I usually down shift. I feel I should have got at least 35, 000 miles before new brakes. Most of my driving is highway miles, very little traffice miles. There were other items that I had to have repaired, but they were small and I expect that with a new vehicle.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Sunfire