2006 Pontiac Torrent

$9,250

Est. MPG

See Photos & Videos

Overall

problems

by Aunti from New York, New York | January 21, 2013

This car is really good on gas and performance is excellent. I just had to go back and forth for the same problem over and over knocking in engine. lose transmission mount, and no heat.

comfortable, useful, and very safe!

by miss bad luck from charleston, sc | October 1, 2012

I purchased a Torrent because i have two dogs and needed something to transport them wihout having them on the back seat and making it all dirty and hair. Worked perfect for that! My great dane and german shepard (shes a mutt, so shes smaller) shared the back comfortably. The rest of the car was for me, heated leather seats, sun roof, very pretty and comfy. It had a roof rack and towing capability so i took me, my mom, my dogs, a trailer and the roof full of stuff comfortably and safe moving from south dakota to south carolina. The biggest compliment i have for this car was it saved my life. I was driving in the rain and hit a bad pothole, it jerked me into on coming traffic and when i swerved away the rain made me slide off the road. This was not the cars fault, just rain and bad road. I went in the ditch and hit a tree, the front end got wrapped around the tree. When i hit, airbags came out of EVERYWHERE. I was wearing my seatbelt, and the only injury ii had was a bruse on my shin and a bruise from the seatbelt. When people started ariving and saw how bad my accident was they were all amazed i wasnt hurt and kept talking about how impressed they were about how safe my car kept me. I loved my torrent, its a great car and i would suggest it to anyone!

5 Months with Torrent

by Cid95 from Tennessee | March 7, 2012

For the money this has been a great vehicle. Our model is equipped with the steering wheel audio, sunroof, heated cloth seats. For a small crossover, it is very roomy, especially in the back seat. Seats are comfortable. Road noise is what you would expect in the price range. The moveable rear bench is a very nice feature. I think it looks great. The downsides to the vehicle - the cupholders are in a poor location, and conflict with the parking brake – there are no reading lamps for the rear seat (just the dome) – very large turning radius. Have had a check engine light issue, due to fuel pressure variations. They have a service bulletin to repair it from GM (not a recall) so it would cost $150, not worth it since no performance issues. Overall very happy with the car, and for the price ($13k with less than 40k miles) it would be hard to find a better value.

Be aware..

by Just bought my '06 from Salina, KS | February 13, 2012

Owned for 2 days now. Drove 5 hours to get it, drove home just fine. Somewhat high highway noise. Don't like how the heat/air controls don't light up at night. Also don't like how you can't change the brightness of the gauges at night it is a little hard to see especially if your eyes aren't that great. Tinted windows look great and keep the sun out but really make it hard to see at night. Blind spots..always test drive a vehicle first. Cheap plastic easily scratched off interior. Comfort not bad for the 5 hour ride. Heats car great in cold weather but does not fog up windows like my Pontiac Grand Prix did. WARNING .. some of these cars do NOT come with cruise control. Mine did not. I did not know until I already purchased the vehicle. Also the stupid doors don't lock or unlock in passenger or driver even with a remote--its a feature they created so you dont lock yourself out of your car...HATE IT. whats the point of the keyless entry if its not full keyless entry. I don't know I've only had it for 2 days. Not sure what the gas mileage is yet but without cruise control on the way home it ate up the gas. Got a quote to install it and it was $300 here in kansas. Overall I like the style. Havent had to park in close tight spaces yet so we'll see how that works. Car is iffy on startup like it doesn't want to start but I was told thats just a GM for ya. My Grand Prix did the same thing. Also the back cargo space is kinda nice with the platform thing and the cubbies but seems like a waste of space to me. Not a whole lot of room to move stuff which is why I wanted an SUV but I guess it does the job if the cars empty and back seats are folded. Overall I'd suggest the vehicle but always check out your other options....and make sure that vehicle has everything you are looking for.

don't do it

by pontiacboo from Bloomington IN | December 18, 2011

I loved this car when I looked at it. Very nice looking inside & out & the ratings look good on this site. Within days of driving it home the check engine light came on & I've had nothing but problems since. Spent over a thousand dollars to fix problem & light is on again. Also shakes when stopping after putting new brakes and rotors on it. My grandma also just bought this same year Torrent without realizing it was the same as mine and within a week her engine light is on & the car is shaking so bad she has to have it towed to dealership. Worst car I've ever had and when I look on other review sites I see that many others have had the same problems. Every place I've taken it to to be fixed has told me about all the random problems people have with this car. They tell me that is why they no longer make them. I only wish I had seen a review like this one before buying mine.

It's a mixed bag

by 40ButFeel25 from Detroit area | October 16, 2011

Bought the vehicle used, I got tired of leasing vehicles. Have had the vehicle about 15 months at this point. Overall it's a good vehicle, it has it's quirks like many other vehicles. I would recommend this as long as you know both the good and bad. I'm not going to complain about the MPG. This isn't an economy car so I wasn't expecting 35MPG anyway. The Bad: There are NO vents for people in the back seat?? I don't know who thought this was a good idea. Basically you have to aim the vents located in the center of the dash so that the back seats get some kind of ventilation. Just an awful turning radius. Parking the thing really does take practice. It's not that it's big, it's just not that nimble in a confined space. Sometimes it has a hard time starting. You turn the key and it will crank like it's not getting any fuel. Sometimes you have to try starting it as many as 3 times before it fires. This doesn't happen often, maybe once a month, but it's not normal. Lastly are the brakes. For some reason it seems like the front rotors get warped easily. We had them turned when we first got it, now we have to take it back again. Just a very hard pulsating sensation when braking. The Good: Good bang for the buck cost. The one we have is the AWD model. It worked very well last winter, I've got no complaints. The back seat has a ton of room. The back seat can move forward and backward as much as 5 inches I believe. They can also recline (not much) but they can recline just a tad. It has surprisingly good torque for a vehicle with only 185HP. Really good pickup, it's very surprising. It has a 5 speed automatical transmission which does help the MPG's when on the freeway. Personal opinion here, but I think it looks great especially compared to its Chevy twin the Equinox.

Love this car!

by Pixie from West Michigan | June 1, 2011

I was looking for a Chev Equinox or Saturn Vue but wanted a black cloth interior. I read reviews of this model car and am pleased with the purchase overall. Front end does shimmy at times when braking as other reviewers mentioned. Roomy interior but cup holders are not in the best locations. Nowhere to store cell phone while driving except on the floor or in a cupholder but this is a minor detail! I would highly recommend a Torrent to anyone.

Great value for the money

by jakeNbake from MN | March 5, 2011

I took advantage of the rapid depreciation of this model and purchased a used 2006 Torrent AWD with only 14,000 miles on it for $16,000. I've put over 40,000 miles on it since then and have never had a problem. It handles great, especially in the snow and ice. The gas mileage is just OK. Plenty of room for hauling the kids around.

2006 Pontiac Torrent

by INXORTE from Houston, TX | December 22, 2010

Spacious interior, lots of room for the rear passengers. inconveniences: The starter, sone times is difficult to start the vehicle. The automatic tail date opener is extremely dificult to access. If the relay fails, there is no other way to open back gate but to disassemble the gate.

Great looking and verstaile

by PK from MN | March 26, 2010

We LOVE our torrent. It is the only vehicle in this style we found that can accomidate a rear facing infant seat with moving the driver seat forward or folding the handle down before you install the seat. If you aren't ready for a minivan, this is a great vehicle. I sometimes pull a small trailer with ease. The 5 speed auto trans handles and shifts well. The only drawback is the large turning radius. Sometimes I call it "the bus" when maneuvering in parking lots. We have owned the car for 2.5 years and had zero maintinence or breakdown issues.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Torrent