2009 Pontiac Vibe

Available in 4 styles:  2009 Pontiac Vibe FWD Hatchback shown

Overall

Oil burning at 70,000 miles

by 2 Time Vibe Owner from Detroit, MI | June 18, 2015

I had a 2004 Vibe that I loved and performed well with absolutely NO major repairs when I traded it in on a 2009 model. This car had a breakdown in the ABS Brake Wheel Sensor that cost $800 to fix but the ultimate problem came at 70,000 miles when all of a sudden I was losing oil at a rate of 1 qt per 1,000 miles. My mechanic said that there is a design flaw with the pistons and they become scored and pitted and oil is lost in the engine and burns there. There will be no visual signs of oil leakage or burning. I was so sad to trade in my Vibe for an new vehicle as I was hopeful to drive this car over 100,000 miles.

Jack of all trades!

by VibeGuy from Florida | May 20, 2015

This is my second Vibe, first was a 2003. The car is truly a jack of all trades. While not particularly great at any one thing, I can't think of another car that can do all the things the Vibe can (except for the Toyota Matrix of course, but it loses a few points in the exterior styling department). This car is my cargo van, pickup truck, recreational vehicle, commuter car, reliable transportation, and tow vehicle, all rolled into one. One day, I need to make a service call for my business, I load up two ladders on the roof, fold the back seats and front passenger seat flat, fill it up with tools, tie them down with the built-in heavy duty tie downs, and go! The next day, gotta make a sales call out of town, put the seats back up, take the ladders down, and now I have a respectable looking car that I can drive 60 miles without burning too much fuel. Later that night, maybe dinner out with the wife. Next day, throw the mountain bikes in the back and head for the hills. Day after that, hitch up my 16' fiberglass boat and go fishing. And then maybe some kayaking later on, kayak on the roof. Gotta pick up a new washing machine on the way home, big screen TV, no problem! Can you think of another car that can do all of this SO WELL, and still look good doing it?? Reliability is phenomenal, parts are cheap and readily available from Toyota if the local Pontiac dealer doesn't exist anymore! Don't get me wrong, the car is not perfect. The 1.8L version is SLOW (I have the 2.4 this time around, much better for darting in and out of traffic). Fuel tank is tiny (especially on the AWD model), so lots of gas station stops, but the fillups are cheap. Fun to drive, but it's definitely not a sports car. Comfortable, but definitely not a luxury car. Fuel economy is better than a truck or van, but not up to par to similar sized 4 cylinder cars. But hey, for this kind of money, again I can't think of a vehicle that can replace so many others and still look good doing it. And it even has a 110v household AC outlet in the dash! I prefer the Vibe over the Matrix simply due to the styling. The Vibe looks like an adult could drive it, while the Matrix looks like it was designed for either a 16 year old wannabe street racer (09 and newer), or a 95 year old widow (08 and older). Interior and everything else about the car is virtually identical, so to each his own. Either way, if you need a truck, van, and a small fuel efficient family car at the same time, but can only afford one car, there aren't many choices on the market. This is one to strongly consider. Drive the 1.8 AND the 2.4 before buying, and stay away from AWD unless you REALLY need it (like you live in Alaska or up state NY or something), as the reduced size fuel tank, reduced fuel economy, and increased repair and maintenance costs aren't worth it for 1 or 2 snow days a year. (And unfortunately cars.com didn't have an option for "ALL OF THE ABOVE" under "Primary use of this car", I just picked one at random. The real answer is all of the above, which is really the best reason to buy a Vibe)

2009 Vibe AWD Reverse and Driveline Issues

by motogross from NW Arkansas | February 20, 2015

I purchased this car at the end of November, 2014 with 120,000 miles on it. I did the Carfax and AutoCheck reports and both had stellar results with no issues on the car. The selling dealer said it was a one owner and traded in on a new luxury car. I have had a few Toyota Matrix models and currently own an '09 Vibe GT and an '04 Vibe base model. All have been fantastic solid dependable cars - BUT, we received our first snowfall and it was my first chance to check out the AWD for ice and snow. Sadly, my AWD makes loud repetitive banging sounds from the rear end when the AWD is prompted to kick in (front wheel slippage). I can hardly believe it being Toyota's reliability history. I have also noticed in these slick conditions that it will occasionally pop out of reverse and BANG back in. Wondering if it is related to the AWD not functioning completely? I have only put 2300 miles on it since purchased as I bought it for the snowy days with all our steep hills here in NW Arkansas. Blows my mind. A call to the dealer tomorrow is in order! I do know that many brands have extended driveline warranties over the standard 100,000 warranty. Got my fingers crossed. This hopefully will not discourage anyone from buying a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix), as they have all been fantastic other than this AWD with serious major driveline/transmission issues.

my vibe has been a success so far!

by lynn from erie, pa | August 17, 2014

I purchased this vehicle just recently in 2014 of april! Had 103, 105 miles. Now currently up to 170,022 . Such a fantastic car but seem to have problems with the car as far as a rattling noise every time I press the gas to go full speed up to 40 & up. Also does this thing with the ignition where you turn it completely on and it makes a spasm noise real quickly and starts up. Some people have same issue .some do not. But I love this car I would buy another one! Not sure how long the engine lasts though for toyota. The car is well taken care of!

Wish the Pontiac Vibe was still made

by johnj from Northern Vermont | February 5, 2014

One of the best cars we have ever purchased. Since new this car has been dependable and a pleasure to drive. Very low maintenance, 95,000 miles before we needed the breaks replaced. Other than that no maintenance other than oil changes. For a small engine was very peppy even with a/c running. Averaged 30.8 mpg. Even in -30 degree weather started right up. Car was crushed in an ice storm in Vermont. Don't think we will find a car as dependable as it was.

Great car for both Mom and Son!

by Mom of a teenager from Rochester, NY | January 13, 2014

GM needs to somehow bring this car back. I was first introduced to Vibes a couple of years ago when renting them on business trips. They were comfortable, and easy to manuver. I was searching for a car that I felt was safe for my teenage son, that he and I were both willing to drive -- and the Vibe was the car. He needed a car that he could haul guitars and amps in, and I needed a car that I could easily haul 50 -pound bags of animal feed. He wanted a Subaru until he drove the Vibe -- then he understood how comfortable it was -- much more comfortable than a Subaru. The hatchback is perfect. This car is heavier than most small cars, and therefore has less road noise than other cars its size. There is ample room in the backseat to comfortably seat two passengers, and not have your legs rammed up against the front seat. It has better excelaration than other cars its size, but it also has a larger engine. It has stability/traction control, and seven airbags. We purchased the model with low-profile tires, and I would not recommend that style of rim -- at least where were are located in upstate, NY. The car has handled well in the snow, but we did not purchase an AWD model. The car also came with PRETREATED undercoat -- which is necessary given all of our road salt and harsh winters. I have absolutely no complaints, except the low-profile tires/rims. I would recommend this car to any parent looking for a safe car to share with their kids. Great heat! Good luck finding a used Vibe with low miles. A friend of mine has over 200,000 on his, and many of the Vibes listed were 150,000+ miles.

Great car, safety issues.....

by Loved it, but disappointed... from Ankeny, IA | December 3, 2013

I loved my Vibe! LOVED. It! I bought her used with 140,000 miles on her and put 65000 on her in the last 2 1/2 years. Had a couple issues with battery and connections, but overall I was completely satisfied with her and the convenience that she provided while I nannied and was in College This past weekend I was in a car accident and hit by a Chevy Truck who was going 65 MPH and never applied the breaks. I was hit on the right front section of my car completely totaling my vehicle. My airbags did not deploy. That is very frustrating to me, and for this reason alone, despite how much I loved my vibe, I will never purchase one again.

i love my vibeGT

by cara from new jersey | October 6, 2013

i saw the car went to look at it fell in love with it drive it i got it i love my vibe 5 speed all the gears are amazing

Just bought this car

by Just bought this from olympia, WA | January 2, 2013

after a lot of research and driving cars. This was the car we bought. I do think it is a bit bumpy as far as the ride goes and the heat takes a little while to warm up. The gas mileage is definitely not the 31/38 I've read on the internet. I would say it is in the low 20's. But did well in the snow and is a compact all around great car.

Great Car, Better Price

by Vibe Fan from Ankeny, IA | March 4, 2012

My 2009 Vibe has 42,000 miles. Bought it used a year ago -- most advertised seem to be rentals but this was a local individual's car. The GT model has good but somewhat noisy accelleration, but it has helped me steer out of a couple of tight spots on interstates, getting around semis with ease. The interior is very comfortable with controls in easy reach. I've never cared about sunroofs but the Vibe's is very smooth. MPG is about the same as with my old Chevy Prizm for a vehicle that has many more features. The Toyota Matrix is a twin and still being built. Vibes were redesigned in 2009-10 with a lot of standard safety features like stability and traction control. I would certainly seek these out first. Since it has a Pontiac badge, the resale price doesn't seem great. I got my mine for less than the minimum blue book price. It remains a solid vehicle and a pleasure for me to drive. Its cargo space is huge and very useful. The only caution is be very aware that it has thick pillars that eat up a lot of the rear-view mirror's view. Get used to using your side mirrors and you will be OK. Reliability is reported as top notch and I have had no issues.

Featured Services for this Pontiac Vibe