2002 Porsche Boxster

Kelley Blue Book Retail

Est. MPG

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Fun to drive but expensive to repair

by Gary from San Diego, CA | May 31, 2013

I bought by 2002 back in 2005 and it has been great fun to drive but it's just ok when it comes to repair issues. I started off replacing the brakes and rotors which cost $2k but I figured that was the price of buying the car used. Then in the first year I had a couple small problems: the ignition key refused to work and then the window would not work. Both of these costs $500 each to fix. Then I was good for a couple years and now I just spent $3k in repairs. The main issue is the Intermediate shaft bearing. Google it and you will find out that this part fails after 10 years and when it does it can kill the whole engine. I was sort of lucky in that my AOS broke and my mechanic convinced me to replace the ISB while it was in the shop. It was a tough decision since it cost $1,000 more but I'm glad I did because the ISB showed signs of wearing out and there were small metal pieces in the oil trap. In any case now that I've spent the money I'm going to keep the car a few more years as it is fun to drive and looks great.

Great sports car

by Sports car enthusiast from Mandeville, louisiana | March 23, 2013

I bought a 2002 boxster with 33,000 miles and in excellent condition. It is fast and fun to drive. Most people believe I spent a fortune but got it for less than 16k. My wife and I love this gem of a car.

Drive a Boxster and You Will Be Smiling

by Porsche Owner Now from Austin, TX | February 7, 2013

I bought a 2002 Porsche Boxster with 48k miles on it. The car was clean and priced well so I had to look at it. I was not in the market for a Boxster but after driving it I had to have it. The car was a certified used car and I was able to get a factory warranty from Porsche for around $1k a year for 3 years. I was interested in a newer corvette or a new Camaro but then I found this gem. I have a classic 1978 Corvette and was thinking of adding another. The car was at a local dealer that was on my way home and I couldn't believe that a 2002 still looked better than a 2011 Camaro SS sitting right next to it. I am 6'3 and can fit so the car is roomy enough for a sport car. I took it out for the night from the dealer since they were about to close and had it all Day Sunday before gonig back. The car just feels good when you drive it. It handles like it is on rails, yes I have heard this before but never said it about a vehicle, and the take off is great. What really impressed me is that I took it up to 103 and it didn't take any effort at all. Having the top down and enjoying a nice day made this car even better. I drove a newer one about two years ago and have always thought of getting one, but the price was always more then I want to spend. The only reason I could see negative reviews on the car is that people didn't do their homework. Check the caps for a mayo covering if so walk away. Try to find one without high mileage and make sure it is certified. Get the warranty incase anything goes wrong from your local Porsche dealership. A new engine is over $10k and a tranmission is $3k. Good -Comfortable for the type of car. -Outstanding performance. -Still is as sharp as the day it came out. - Convertible. Bad -Can be expensive if you don't know cars and it breaks down. -Accessories are expensive. Overall buy this car!!!!!

986

by NVR L8T from Phila | October 2, 2012

the best! a ton of fun at a great price. If you want a sporty car and have some fun the Porsche Boxster can't be beat for the money.

Best sports car

by Fishncarpet from Boise, ID | September 6, 2012

The Boxster S is one of the finest driving cars made. Well balanced, responsive, and feels wonderful to drive through the twisty roads.

No compromise!

by Lucky Porschephile from Northeast Texas | August 26, 2012

I got in the market to buy a car and started looking at my dream car, the 911. Soon realized that the cost to run one would probably push me out of my price range. I started looking at Boxsters, per recommendation from my father, with some skepticism. I didn't think it would be anywhere near as sporty as the 911. Couldn't have been more wrong! I bought a 2002 base model Boxster, with that small 2.7L engine, and it'll run from 0-60 in just under 6 seconds, ridiculous performance and still gets around 25 mpg. And if you'd think that you'd have to give up practicality for sportiness, think again. The Boxster easily has the largest trunk space in it's class, mostly because it has 2 trunks. You can put about 4 good sized suitcases between the two trunks, and I also take it grocery shopping. Have had it for about 3 years, and put 40k miles on it without a single mechanical problem. Only thing to change on it was the tires, ran on factory standards for 73k miles, and brakes. I traded out of a 2004 infiniti g35 coupe. So far the Boxster is faster, more reliable, more fuel efficient, cooler, amazingly less expensive(cost much less in fuel, priced $8000 less than the G). Nothing beats that rush of outrunning the rednecks in their supe'd up mustangs and camaros. It'll also get 20mpg at 100 mph all day without any fuss at all. If you want the best valued sports car around, look no further!!!

Porsche Performer

by Blueboy from Woodside,CA | June 11, 2012

Just picked up a 2002 Porsche Boxster S with 62K miles. It drives like new...I know, I drove a new Boxster shortly before buying this car. It is tight, it sticks to the road through curves, it goes exactly where you point it. Without exception, every used Boxster I have test-driven has been refreshingly tight, crisp and solid, the "S" has the 911 (bigger) engine, and it is a big difference from the Base Boxster. I have been told by many mechanics that the Boxster (986) is one of the most reliable models ever produced by Porsche. Full control and bliss as it carves up the zig-zaggy roads of Coastal California without a whimper or squeal.

nice

by fefe from south carolina , sc | March 23, 2012

I'm in foster care looking for a car and this one is really the one i want and it a pretty good car. and i wish i can buy it but i can't i have no money all i'v have is a foster mom.

The perfect Porsche

by Porsche Enthusiast from Texas | February 21, 2012

The Boxster is the perfect Porsche. It has styling very similiar to the iconic Carrera but is better built / more dependable and at half the price of the Carrera. Sporty, fast, and fun to drive.

More for your money

by Lazarito111 from Tucson az | July 13, 2011

Fun to drive great stability low maintenance 82k and no problems at all love it. Wanted the cayman but no moonroof no fun to much

Featured Services for this Porsche Boxster