The four-seat Porsche Panamera is a large, four-door hatchback that's intended to compete with full-size luxury sedans like the BMW 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class. For 2012, Porsche adds Turbo S and S Hybrid versions to the Panamera lineup. The S Hybrid is covered separately in the Cars.com Research section.
New for 2012
The new Panamera Turbo S makes 550 horsepower and 553 pounds-feet of torque. With a claimed top speed of 190 mph and a zero-to-60-mph time of less than 4 seconds, the Turbo S is the fastest and most powerful model in the Panamera lineup.
A blind spot warning system is newly available for 2012, as are Porsche Exclusive features, including black headlight surrounds, sports tailpipes and unique leather trim.
The Panamera's profile and rear view are a lightning rod for criticism, though the style plays a part in the car's large backseat and versatile cargo hatch. The main visible distinction between the V-6 version and the higher trim levels is a matte-black trim surrounding the side windows in place of chrome. Exterior features include:
- Standard 18-inch alloy wheels
- Available 19- or 20-inch wheels
- Standard four-position power rear spoiler
- Standard bi-xenon high-intensity-discharge headlamps
All of the Panamera's trim levels seat four. The backseat comprises two roomy bucket seats with a flow-through console between them. All Panamera models feature a 7-inch touch-screen and a 4.8-inch color display in the instrument cluster.
The cargo area measures 15.7 cubic feet, but when you fold the backseat there's 44.6 cubic feet of space. Interior features include:
- Standard eight-way-adjustable power front seats; 14- or 18-way power seats optional
- Standard leather upholstery
- Standard dual-zone air conditioning; four-zone climate control optional
- Optional Sport Chrono Package includes a stopwatch/lap timer in the center of the dashboard
- Optional 16-speaker Burmester surround sound system
Under the Hood
All Panameras use a seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual transmission. A Sport Chrono Package Plus adds a setting for sportier drivetrain and suspension settings, as well as a launch-control feature for faster sprints from a standing start. A standard auto stop/start feature turns off the engine when the Panamera comes to a complete stop. It starts again, seamlessly, when the driver lifts off the brake pedal. Mechanical features include:
- Standard 300-hp, 3.6-liter V-6
- Optional 400-hp, 4.8-liter V-8
- Optional 500-hp, twin-turbo 4.8-liter V-8
- Optional 550-hp, twin-turbo 4.8-liter V-8
- Rear- or all-wheel drive
- Optional active suspension
The Panamera's front occupants get frontal, knee and seat-mounted side-impact airbags. There are also side-impact airbags for the rear seats, as well as side curtain airbags to cover the side windows for both rows of seats. Additional safety features include:
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system and traction control
- Available adaptive headlamps
- Available adaptive cruise control
- Available blind spot warning system