The Phantom Drophead Coupe is a convertible version of Rolls-Royce's Phantom sedan. It competes in a small segment of ultraluxurious, highly customizable convertibles that includes the 2010 Bentley Azure T convertible.
New for 2010
There are no significant changes for 2010.
The automaker says the sedan and convertible share no major exterior panels, though they look similar enough that Rolls-Royce aficionados will easily identify the tree this Drophead fell from. Rolls-Royce says the rear-hinged coach doors give easy access for rear passengers and add to the overall strength of the body by allowing an uninterrupted A-pillar.
- Rear trunk gate flips down for what Rolls-Royce calls "picnic" seating for two
- 20-inch wheels with run-flat tires
- Optional 21-inch wheels
- Available brushed stainless steel hood, teakwood deck
The four-seat interior comes drenched in wood, leather and chrome. Rolls-Royce says it avoided bleaches, stains and lacquers in favor of natural surfaces. The seats boast flat leather surfaces designed to be wiped free of moisture — though you'll want to put the top up at the first sign of rain, no doubt. The interior design isn't limited to the automotive realm, as inspiration is said to be taken from 1930s yachts.
- Hand-stitched leather interior
- 15-speaker stereo
- Available mahogany, elm, oak and rosewood interior veneers
- Available iPod integration
- Available front and rear cameras
- Available embroidered headrests with Rolls-Royce logo or customer's design
Under the Hood
The Drophead's 6.8-liter V-12 makes 453 horsepower and 531 pounds-feet of torque. The engine, transmission and driveshaft are positioned as low as possible to give a lower center of gravity for a sportier ride.
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Self-leveling air suspension
- Zero to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds
- 150 mph top speed (governed)
Safety features include:
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
- Rollover protection system automatically deploys reinforced bars from behind the backseat head restraints
- Seat-mounted and side-impact airbags
- Active front head restraints