2001 Saab 9-5

2001 Saab 9-5

Available in 6 styles:  9-5 4dr Station Wagon shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

One of the nicest vehicles I've owned

by Pastor new toy from Farmington Hills, MI | June 29, 2012

I have owned quite a few cars over the years but I must say my 95 v6t is one of the most versatile vehicles I've owned. I have had Mercedes, Fords, Chryslers, GM's, Toyota & Honda's. We currently own a focus zx3, Honda accord coupe and the 95. I know my wife and children are going to take this car from me as soon as they get to take it on the hwy. I flip cars to suppliment income and the first day I drove it to work someone offered me twice what I bought it for and I turned them down. I look forward to driving my 2001 for many years as she replaced my Impala. I also enjoyed the look on the faces of the rear view when the turbo kicks in and off I go smooth, safe and pleased. This is a great family car and any church member could be proud and humble at the same time.

Glad I bought

by Happy from Memphis | June 5, 2012

I looked and researched for several month before buying my SAAB. I've had the car about three months now and i'm more impressed than ever. I was lucky and found one that was locally owned and serviced. It was also driven less than 10 thousand miles a year. The car looks good and has exceptional power. Also, the SAAB dealership here has been outstanding.

2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon

by LoveMySaab2001 from | May 4, 2012

Hey Readers, I purchased 2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon, 4-cyl turbo, exactly 2 years ago. About 75,000 miles on it, with ONE accident history; vehicle was repaired at a Saab dealership. I was amazed to see A/C ventilation front seats. Didn't know cars this old had such options available. Front seats have 'heated-seats' as well. JD Power gave it a 5-star, and I couldn't agree more w/ them on the subject. Reliability is simply awesome. I have 116,000 miles on it now, and I have no doubt I'll hit 200,000 w/ this car. I send about $500/yr on maintenance, which includes tune-ups and synthetic oil change. Tires are separate. This car's been superb on cost, thanks to its dependablity. Car's main purpose is to be a family-car, and it does everything I ask. Gas MPG is great; I get about 25mpg, combined c/h. Back seats get powerful and satisfying A/C. Very comfortable ride for all passengers. Roomy cargo space. Best car I've ever drove in snow! I really appreciate the outer look, especially the front. Doesn't look like a 2001 model. Interior can be much better. Overall, for a family-car, I was very lucky to have purchased this vehicle. If you are in the market, and worried about Saab's current situation and unavailable recall repairs, do not worry too much. 2001 9-5 is a very well-built car. It won't hurt your pocket. Just make sure to check its history before buying one.

9 5 Saab Aero wagon

by archeromaha from Omaha | February 20, 2012

Performance it very good. Has all the bells and whistles. The car is very responsive and all the records of Maint. were included. runs great and very happy

Interesting car with good and bad quirks

by Me from michigan | February 11, 2012

My second Saab and an interesting car. I have the wagon form. PROS: Lots of room and comfortable interior. Engine, even in the base model, has lots of pep thanks to the turbo. I find the controls to be well laid out. The leather seats are comfortable and seem to hold up well. Traction control and ABS. Fancy climate control with auto settings and separate controls for driver/passenger. Harmon Kardon stereo system (if installed.) Computerized display (though a little retro, being 2001.) Roof rack (on the wagon.) CONS: Many squeaks and wiggles on interior parts. Mediocre gas millage. Not as easy to get parts locally without ordering them. Engine sludging issues. Proprietary stereo system is nearly impossible to replace with aftermarket (if you have the Pioneer/HK system it's a major chore.) RECOMMENDATION: If you get one of these, have the oil pan removed and cleaned of any sludge (along with the oil screen.) Replace the PCV system with Saab's upgrade. The computer display and the climate control display are notorious for failing so check to see if all the pixels seem to be working. Make sure you get more than one key with it because they are special and can't be copied except by the Saab dealer (and then he needs a code that came with the car, which you probably won't get buying used. Make sure you only change the engine with synthetic oil to cut down on sludge, and don't wait 10,000 miles like the manuel says. Make sure the stereo works because the head unit is "married" to the car and if you get a used replacement you'll need someone with a Tech II tool to "divorce" it. Lastly, because of the turbo I would use at least Mid-grade gas and probably premium. The engine adjusts to regular but I've heard it cuts down on performance.

Don't buy junky car

by Husobadao from Connecticut | December 30, 2010

This 9-5 had a major problem with breaking system since I owned it in 2001. Watch out! It has very long breaking distance, although the sporting mode was very impressive. I visited several SAAB dealers to fix the breaking system, but no one has the solution. I should have brought other compatible sedan!

I love it! Never wanna let it go!

by Saabulance from Portland, OR | October 27, 2010

It's almost 10 years old now, and it's STILL sexier than all the other cars on the block. I love the exterior style so much, I can't get enough. I have 110,000 on it right now, and my mechanic and I are fully expected over 300,000 of life, hopefully half a million. The most important part of this car is the great partnership that I have with my mechanic at Atomic Auto here in Portland, Oregon. He cannot be beat. Eminently fair and efficient. Most work I have done has been maintenance related. The 4 cylinder turbo is a perfect combo, and the car can really get up and go. It's so fun to drive. Like any older car, the fuel efficiency is ok, and pretty good when you drive it like a good citizen. Cons: Compared to newer cars, the interior is a bit loud, partially due to my leather interior. The sunroof sometimes leaks, about a tablespoon of water on serious monsoon days. But for a 24 year old with limited employment, this is something I can handle happily. I plan on keeping this car as long as it lives, and I think it's going to be around a while. I rated 4 stars on comfort because sometimes my lower spine hurts in the driver seat over prolonged driving. I've added a little pad for those times. We paid $15000 for this car in 2004, and it's been the best car my family has bought so far in terms of reliability (they've had a Lexus, Cadillacs, Mercedes, Pontiacs, Dodges, Jeeps...big family). But always have a backup key because if you lose that main one, you're in about $1000+ worth of trouble. Spare keys are around $50. Please note: It is more environmentally responsible to keep and maintain the car you have (if it is safe and working), even if it doesn't get a fancy 30+ mpg all the time, than to go buy a new hybrid or other car. My mechanic stresses this greatly. The other best part of the car is how solid and safe it is.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

How swede it is!

by ybbogus from Woodbridge, VA | September 30, 2009

Great car, but not for everyone. Awesome ride. Mine is a wagon with a 2.3 light pressure turbo. Be nice to the motor - only synthetic and please change often - every 5,000 miles. You will avoid expensive issues! If you want a carefree car, get a Honda. They are the best! If you want a cool, Eurowagon with great pep, safety and comfort - try a SAAB.

After 8 years and still great!

by old saab 9 from MECHANICSBURG PA | August 1, 2009

I have had every model since 66. The 95 is outstanding and still in most ways still contemporary. Safe, fast,great mileage and great handling in a unique and comfortable package. Some recalls and a few other repairs have been needed. The car is easy to work on. Many parts are available on line. I have driven it past 100K and expect at least 200k. My 91 9000 made it to 299.7K before a wreck!

a great car for a ridiculously depreciated price

by Smoop from Seattle | October 5, 2008

These cars come well equipped and in terms of all around passenger comfort are very tough to beat. Interior space, especially in the back is plain exceptional. I don't care for the Wood grain dash accent but its a small gripe. I am pulling 28mpg average with a v6 model with some 80% of my driving done on the highway. Acceleration is good throughout the range but is unmatched from 40mph to 90mph. Not many cars can keep pace. The show Top Gear has said this car will out run a porsche 911 through the range of 40-75mph and I believe it. I have dusted too many bmws and benzs to have doubts. Maintenance costs are doubled on the v6 compared to the 4 cylinders in a lot of cases so keep that in mind if you are in the market.

Featured Services for this Saab 9-5