2006 Saab 9-5

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best I've owned

by Saab aficionado from Tucson, AZ | February 7, 2014

Began owning Saabs in the 80's. Never bought new. Owned my last Saab -- a 1996 900S -- for 12 years and drove it for over 120,000 trouble-free miles. It is still looks and acts young. Moved to a 9-5 wagon with a view to it being my last car purchase. I love it! It has all the features I hoped to get -- luxury and great sound system. I bought this particular model for the added interior space. Through Cars.com, I chose my car without the advantage of a test drive because I live a few states from where it was being sold. The price was right, the miles were very low, and the photos showed me all the rest. When it arrived close to my location, it was all it appeared to be. I fell in love driving it the remaining 130 miles home. It is a Saab -- which for me says it all. I felt in familiar surroundings. This is my first Turbo engine and it is impressive. Took my first road trip and enjoyed every mile. Can hardly wait to go see the grandkids.

Absolutely Love this SUV

by SAAB Lover from Fargo ND | October 25, 2011

I purchased this Saab 9-7x and love it. It drives like a Saab & I've owned many. I work at a dealership and drive numerous vehicles & I love when I get into my Saab 9-7x at the end of the day and drive home. Many people compliment the vehicle and ask what it is. I would recommend to anyone!!! Best vehicle for the $$

Great Used Car Value!

by RJ from Buffalo, NY | May 6, 2010

I bought a 2006 Saab 9-5 earlier this year. I was drawn to this car because of its performance, comfort and the amount of options for the money. At $40,000 brand new I am not sure that the 9-5 is the better choice over a 3 series or A4, but at used prices it is a good choice for someone who is looking for a European ride for an affordable price. While a good looking car, it is not as stylish as a BMW or Audi, and the interior, while very comfortable and user friendly has some lesser materials and fit and finish than a BMW or Audi, but again, the power and torque more than make up for it. There is a limited amount of turbo lag, but once the boost starts, the acceleration is prodigious and ongoing. The stereo is great, the seats are all day long comfortable and so far, the Saab has been reliable (though I know that they can be hit or miss, so I will keep my fingers crossed). I would recommend this car to someone looking for a European sports sedan on a budget or someone who wants to be a little different than all the BMWs or Lexus that are out there.

Good value, fun to drive, good mpg

by Happy Saaber from Florida | November 19, 2009

The 260 HP will punch you back into the seat. Have to get use to the location of the PW, Locks, and Ignition switches. Great confort seats, the AC front seats are a bleasing in the summer, and the heated seats are great for the winter. Fuel economy is in the 26 to 28 mpg. Would like to see more storage pockets in the trunk and cabin.

Aero Fanatic

by Saab 9-5 Aero from Fort Wayne, IN | April 14, 2007

I recently purchased my new Saab 9-5 Aero after trading in my 2006 BMW 5 series. The 9-5 Aero doesn't even compare with the BMW. It is in the same class, but the quality and performance was far more advanced than what I had in my BMW and the Saab was around $5,000 less . I have added a few modifications to the already powerful engine and am extremely happy with the results

Great Car for the Money

by Value Buyer from Minneapolis, MN | February 16, 2007

Other than the somewhat cheap looking plastic and the rather loud "clunk" of the door locks, I really like this car. It was -10 F last week and the car still warmed up before I was 5 miles down the road, and you could fry an egg on the heated seats (quick warm up as well). This is the best handling car I have ever owned. The performance of the engine is decent, given it is only 2.3L. A great balance between horsepower and gas mileage.

Still Cannot Believe I Own This Exotic Car

by Misha_from_Mpls from Minneapolis | February 6, 2007

I was frustrated that I couldn't find the right one while test driving ordinary cars. Prius, Civic, Accord, Camry, Avalon, Pacifica, Outback, Mazda 6.. were either noisy, unrefined, tortured, poorly engineered, had punishable seats, difficult entry/exit, lack of charisma, style and imagination, rip off by adding essentual features. I'm a former automotive engineer, (now an IT consultant) very demanding and value oriented. I began shopping the premiums. MB, BMW, Volvo, Jag, Lexus-- nothing was 100% match against my objectives, untill I stopped at Saab Dealership. First I was looking on pleasant 9-3 then I got into 9-5. That was it--the end of my journey. Everything immediately felt right and several test drives confirmed that this is the best balanced, best engineered car on earth (At least on "this" side of Italian exotic cars. At only 3,400 lbs it dirves and feels like a vault, it's got the world most sophisticated engine, which works more as normaly aspirated, until I press this turbine. Then it ready for a take off, I mean a jet take off. And it never drops below 25 mpg on a regular fuel, even during this brutal January. Try to beat that! I got a royal level of luxury and comfort with fantastic heated/cooled seats. SUV type of ingress/engress and spiritual driving. There is no over car on the market below $100K (except Quattroporte) which offers the most exotic blend of sensual aggressivess and athletic curves. I'm stunned the way my chili Red Metallic looks and can watch for hours looking on it. What a beauty!

Massive virtue for minimal investment

by SF from San Francisco | December 20, 2006

This is my second Saab 9-5 wagon. I had the first for 5 years, and was a replacement for a consistantly troublesome series of Volvo wagons. My new 2006 Saab is an unexpected thrill for a wagon. The combining of turbo with 4 cyl is nothing new, but it produces knockout power with class leading mpg. Usually around 29-31 on fast highways, and in hilly San Francisco, city mileage hoovers around 18. Not bad for a big, comfortable, capacious wagon. The equipment standard with this car is stellar. I opted to add only OnStar (I'm addicted to the driving directions) and the sport package, now called Aero. The only thing I wish it had was full on head protection airbags, though Saab's thorax/side airbags are tested and high ranking. The car has every treat available from heated/cooled seats, navigation, killer XM stereo, iPod connectivity, telematics, double-dual visors (a subtle but brilliant feature), amazing seats, great ergonomics. The rear seats fold down simply and offer huge cargo space. The old car and new have always been rattle free. Dealer service has always been outstanding. Ride is great, handling is fine and as good as can be expected with a front wheel drive vehicle. I always love a RWD car, but only Mercedes Benz offers a wagon with RWD (duh, BMW) and the MB quality is known to be atrocious as well as $20k more expensive. The only things that mar the 9-5 from a 5 star grand slam are the slightly less-than-current interior materials, lack of one-touch window-up, sunroof-close, tiptronic shifing (the steering wheel controls are effective but fussy) and the lack of head protection airbags. Other than that it has outstanding safety, low theft rates, knockout warranty, usually available with 0% financing, big discounts.. making it a smart, stylish, fast, stealth, thrifty choice over BMW, Mercedes, Audi. I love mine. Only the Passat and Volvo wagons mettle in the same territory, yet like MB, the quality and service is too risky to be dabbled with. Saab may even introduce the BioFuel model that Europe gets, which would make it super green and super fast. My fingers are crossed for that or a hybrid-turbodiesel.

Buy Low - Fix High - Drive In Style

by Timbo from Bangor, ME | October 19, 2006

Pre-owned Saabs fit well into a game plan where one wishes for heated seats, European handling and safety, for the price of a spanking new.....Nissan Sentra; yet be prepared for the maintenance tab. The 60K service is critical on these machines and it isn't cheap. That said, the cars will last a long time if cared for. I opted for a 2000 9'5 SE v6t with 54K miles and I don't regret the purchase. I also drive in New England winters and the handling is surprisingly solid with a set of studded snow tires and the very efficient winter traction control. If you want a quality vehicle and like maintaining them, this car is for you. Otherwise, get the Sentra and live with your choice.

Designed for DRIVERS!!!

by Patrick from Virginia | August 21, 2006

Purchased a loaded 9-5 sport sedan in Jet Black. Beautiful car with Perfect blend of power and efficiency. This car MOVES when you want it to. Just returned from our first road trip which took us through the mountains of PA. On Highway sections had the cruise set at 85 and couldn't believe how comfortable and smooth the suspension and ride is. But even more enjoyable were the winding 2 lane mountain roads. Love the wheel mounted shifters, and the car flew up all climbs and past all bystanders and begged me to take it around the curves and bends faster than my wife and I could stomach. The new stereo and xm are a nice upgrade from our previous 9-5. New Climate controls are easier to use and more stylish. New gauges are clean and sporty looking. The ventillated seats have changed our lives forever and even with my aggresive driving, we still averaged over 28 MPG. Also noticed that the seats are more comfortable than our 00' 9-5 which seems unbelievable. GINORMOUS trunk with cargo net hooks, cooled glove box and the night panel control. Looked at TL, G35, 530 and this car clearly stood out for its UNIQUE styling, comfort, and features. 530 was only real competition but 9-5 had more options at a much lower price. Negative side... dont like door pulls on inside, whould rather have leather wrapped or metal. Miss the metal 9-5 plate in door sill(gone before 06 anyway). Navigation is nice touch screen but not as refined as some others. Would like an option for an intelligent cruise that maintains distance between vehicles. In conclusion, I like this car more each day and feel that for the price it's unbeatable.

Featured Services for this Saab 9-5