2008 Saab 9-5

17 city / 26 hwy

Overall

Born A Saab Enthusiast Will Always Own 1 or 3

by SaabJockey55 from Northern East Coast | April 16, 2013

Saabs have been in our family for as long as I can recall. My 1st favorite model was our 1979 900 Turbo 3-dr hatch. that replaced a 1977 99 Turbo that was hit by a truck in the middle of the night. Its was parked out front due to new driveway installation. The '79 900 T was retired, and a '88 900 T SPG 3-dr took over. Also a 1989 900 T 4-dr was added to the 900 inventory, and a 1988 9000 CSE. I was fortunate to purchase the SPG when it was no longer driven by my father as he became a 9000 fan once he drove mom's '88 9000 CSE to Fl for 2-wks one year. They ended up buying a home in Fl, and dad bought a 1992 9000 T for Fl. I always thought he bought the house for mom and the 9000 T for himself, but mom drove it too. The 2008 9-5 has been a favorite of mine and I love it as much as the '79 900T & '88 900 T SPG. When I purchased the SPG from M & D, I bought a service loaner 1987 9000 T as my winter vehicle as it had 107k miles, it was just getting broken in, and at $5500 it was a steal, wish I never sold it but I did drive it 5-winters and had it repainted. Added newer 9000 T OEM alloys and put summer tires on them. Sold it with 188k mi for $2500 to a college bond young boy. He was as excited as I remembered being when I bought the SPG. Saab's will always have a place in our family history, and my siblings and I each have at least 1 Saab in our garages. Still cannot believe what has happened with one of the biggest European automotive secrets. I have yet to meet a Saab owner who regrets their purchase of a pre-GM owned Saab AG. Prior to GM control, Saabs where vehicles one either loved or disliked. No other vehicle was as unique as Saab's. Plus, FWD and front center console ignition and power window controls were/are Saab signature components. Now we reach out to '08/09 low mileage 9-5 sedans and 9-3x AWD Combi's.

Wish I had bought Saab's all along

by Saabusiness from Raleigh, NC | January 26, 2013

My son and i were in the car buying mode and he bought a 7 Series BMW and strong armed me into buying his 2007 Saab 93 for getting around the city. The price was right and it was the first time I had driven a Saab. I love it!! I just purchased another, a 2008 95 SportCombi wagon and love it more. I have owned BMW's and Toyotas and now wish I had looked at the Saabs. Marketing for the Saab was weak in the US and I am sad that the company was sold and now a memory. I will eventually buy a 2011 Saab 95 and then sadly have to revert to Toyota again.

Great value, great car

by Crash from San Francisco, CA | April 15, 2012

Bought a 2008 lease return in 2011 with 18k miles for a ridiculous value...in 6 months now going in for its 40K service...so, I drive it a little harder than the previous owner. My second Saab, the first one was in 1986 and I drove it over 330K miles in less than 5 years. Donated to a HS auto shop still in good running condition with original engine. I love the brand...and the 9-5 is sporty, powerful and roomy. I am 6-3, 250 and am comfortable on long-distance drives. Consider me a satisfied owner...and only hope all the financial stuff sorts itself out.

Best value out there

by Colorado driver from Denver, CO | September 25, 2011

Third Saab I've owned and the best so far. Great power, even at altitude, yet great mileage under the circumstances; 23mpg in city, 31 or better highway. Great car to drive, not too soft, not too stiff. Press the sport mode button and the acceleration is great. There is some turbo lag and torque steer that true enthusiasts might quibble with, but for most of us, no problem. Great stereo, huge trunk, has lots of bells and whistles like shiftable automatic transmission, xenon headlamps, back-up sensor, self-dimming mirrors, Homelink-type device, heated AND ventilated seats, iPod connection, steering wheel audio controls. Really a great car for the money.

Good Car

by NYCDad from Queens, NY | July 27, 2011

When my lease was up on my CTS, I wanted something sporty and fun but not expensive. Saab has done a good job with the 9-5. Roomy, a lot of included features (i.e. Xenon lights, front & rear heated seats) park assist, etc. Biggest qualm is the rough ride and noisy engine. Otherwise, great car.

Fine Unique Car

by ChillsboroughSaabMan from Hillsborough, NC | February 22, 2011

I love the handling and power! This car (2008 9-5) is a blast to drive. I wish the awesome stereo had more bass though. Also, lacking is storage space and usable cup holders in front. It is truely unique and I like having something different!

A rare gem

by Saab convert from Oakland, CA | January 1, 2011

Sold my '00 Saab wagon to get the '08 SportCombi (aka wagon). The value of this car is spectacular and compares with others costing much more. The large interior space is important since I'm 6' 3" and have two small kids. A powerful fuel efficient engine, nimble handling, luxury features, very comfortable heated front and rear leather seats with three driver memory settings, snazzy styling, versatility of a wagon, very good safety ratings, and low re-sale value combine to make the car my first choice. Reliability has reportedly been better than all other European brands, which is important because Saabs can be expensive to repair and knowledgeable mechanics can be difficult to find. The downside is a lack of good storage space for the driver and front passenger - no good place to store sunglasses, iPod, coins, or drinks. The center console could be designed to be more convenient for the above items and the glove box is cramped. And excuse the appeal to vanity, but the rarity of the car is part of its appeal to me.

satisfied with Saab

by Rod from BOston MA> | August 26, 2010

every thing I expected from my 11th Saab. Sweeden has done it again. The heritage comes through looking forward to the next generation

Best car on the road

by Kate the Skate from Worcester, MA | November 17, 2008

Have driven Saabs since 1980, drove stick for 25 years, now drive automtc.I have never had a lemon or been disapointed.Grew up in snowy hills of Worcester MA and never got stuck (Michelins!). Saabs have it all and for half the dough of the fancy cars. Looks, perf.,comfort, safety, dependability, really comfortable leather heated seats, good mileage. My first wagon, u can't believe what u can fit into trunk space, just like the old hatchbk. Do yourself a favor, drive what Kurt Vonnegut & Jerry Seinfeld drove. p.s. All cabs s/b Saabs!!!

An Underappreciated European Sedan

by An Eye For Value from Bay Shore, New York | June 10, 2008

This is a great, underappreciated & overlooked European sedan. With a Saab 9-5, I believe you get a distinctively styled, fun-to-drive, relatively fuel-efficient, roomy, comfortable, safe, European-engineered luxury sports sedan at a great value. Although not quite as distinctive as the Saabs of the 1970's through early 90's, this is still not a cookie-cutter car. This car is best appreciated as a driver behind the wheel. Nice performance (zoom zoom from 40 mph to 60 mph!), delivered responsibly through a turbo-charged 4 cylinder engine. Very smart. Nice handling and steering. Roomy all around, particularly the back seat. Trunk is enormous. I may be in the minority, but I really like this car's styling both in & out. Sporty, assertive, distinctive with some classiness and even elegance too. It will grow on you. Inside, the cockpit feel of the dash puts all the controls exactly where they should be. This is my fourth Saab and it has not disappointed. I believe this is a smart choice, a value in the $35,000 luxury sport sedan universe. Worthy of consideration.

Featured Services for this Saab 9-5