2009 Saab 9-5

17 city / 27 hwy

Overall

Timeless Design that Continues to Attract Loyalty

by 30+ Yrs of Saab Ownership from New England | April 4, 2015

As with the 2008 MY sedan, the 2009 continues to be GM's pure luxury brand attracting buyers that don't buy Cadillac's, but rather are import sports sedan consumers. The 2009 Saab 9-5 sedan has a very loyal following, and its hard to find a low milage used Saab due to they remaining in the family of the vehicles original buyer. This I can atest to as my parents drove Saabs, and then passed them down to us kids to have, and then we would give them to mom & dad to use as trade-in, so we could accommodate the newer hand me down. Like in 2002, my mom gave 1 of my brothers her 1987 900S sdn, & she purchased a new 1997 900S sedan. Our father started driving Saabs in 1979 with the purchase of his 1st 900T 3-door hatchback that I feel in love with day one. I took my road test in it in 1982, and prayed I would get it while in college as a late High School grad gift or early college grad gift in my junior year of undergrad study. Well I did get it, but not when expected. Dad did the purchase abroad program as my parents celebrated their 30th anniversary with a trip to Europe, and dad ordered his 1988 900T SPG before he & mom left the USA and headed to the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, & Paris. During my final semester of undergrad study while home for Spring Break & having committed to do another 2-week internship I was handed the keys on my final day prior to flying back to school. I kept the 1979 900T, worked at restoring & using as a seasonal weekend vehicle due to living in New England. I bought a used 1987 9000T 5-door that our Saab dealer was using as a service loaner. That 9000T convinced me that Saab offered 2-different superior lines of car's. The 900 (Later becoming the 9-3 series) & 9000 (Later becoming the 9-5 series). Both provided superior quality & sport sedan attributes, but my only issue I ever have had is that the cars were always a bit under powered. Today I own several Saab's, and my wife & I have a couple 2008 & 2009 9-5 sedans, 2 of which we drive year around and 2 we drive in summer months only. As it has been said for decades, Saabs are unique vehicles & you either love them or hate them, have not yet met a person who was in the middle of those attributes. I will always love & drive our Saabs & the 2009 9-5 is the final year of the 9000 model inspired designed. Get yourself a 2008/09 9-5 & see what you have been missing. If you enjoy skiing, kayaking, etc & prefer all wheel drive & want extra enclosed storage, seek out a 9-3x as it will provide you with all you need in storage, get you through the worst that mother nature throws at you on your way to the slopes, or down to the lake, through the mud so you can unload & spend the afternoon kayaking. Saabs are by far the best examples of sportiness/safety/durability/function/storage/rugged-ness plus luxury in multiple forms. If you want sportiness lean towards the 900/9-3 line-up by Saab, or if sport & luxury is your focus/desire, then you'll be at home with the 9000/9-5 line-up by Saab. In the final years of Saab production their were a few Saab models that existed for a short period of time. The 9-2x a joint venture (thanks to GM) where Saab & Fuji Industries(Subaru) built a awd 5-door that was based on the Subaru Impreza hatchback. The Saab 9-7x, a joint venture with GMC/Chevy where GM/Saab applied a bunch of luxury features to a Trailblazer, and finally the Saab 9-4x, the only non-joint venture Saab product that would have been a huge success had GM of not terminated Saab.(sorry for the bitterness, have loved GM since birth, but very unhappY with what GM did to a great auto Manufacturer)

9-5 SportCombi Aero

by sportcombi from NYC | July 10, 2014

This is my second 9-5 wagon. We had an 04 Arc wagon which kept us safe in a three car pileup on 93 outside of Boston. The 09 is an Aero model which doesn't have as plush a ride as the Arc. Still nice but firmer. You feel the bumps more. Less body sway, tighter turns, more connected road feel. Rides lower than the Arc as well as having 17" rims vs. 16". Interior is very nice although not as nice as the previous generation. Super comfortable seats. Warmer than the Arc's pancake style seat as they hug your body more. Simpler radio controls as well as AC than previous generation. Gets 29mpg on curvy country roads. Should be able to see low thirties on highway. Car is significantly quicker than my 04 was. Extra 40hp might factor into that a bit.

Saab 9-5 aero

by Euro sports saloon from Providence, RI | September 12, 2011

This is my 3rd Saab. I have a 9-5 wagon, and I had a 9-3 sports sedan. This one is a 2009 9-5 Aero sedan. It is fast (especially in the passing range) and has great torque from the high output turbo. The ride comfort is superlative. Amazing heated and vented seats. Great visibility with self leveling xenons. Stereo is by Harmon Kardon. Cavernous trunk, great interior space. Materials are decent, but not quite as nice as my 2005 wagon. Price on a pre-owned model with factory warranty is amazing. It is a great sport touring car. Seats five in all day comfort. The 9-3 was sportier, even in base trim, but the 9-3 felt like a toy by comparison. The 9-5 is fast and stable at higher speeds. This car loves tight sweepers and shines in the 80-110 mph range. This is a great car. When looking to buy I shopped against MB C300, Audi A6 and Cadillac CTS.

Great car for the money Somebody needs to buy Saab

by Sports sedan driver from Brooklyn, NY | January 16, 2010

I bought a 2009 Jet Black Saab 9-5 Sedan 2.3 Turbo & traded in a 2006 Cadillac CTS. There is a lot to like about the 9-5. I did get a great deal with a large rebate. Irregardless, the 9-5 is a very good and safe car. It would be a real shame if Saab went out of business because GM did not do a good job marketing Saabs. My 9-5 is the best new car I have owned after new CTS, Grand Cherokee, Outback, Camry, 2 Accords, & 320i. It is very responsive with a tight turning radius; burns Regular gas, not premium like most competitors; has Xenon headlamps, electronically folding mirrors, heated front and back plush leather seats; the largest trunk in its class, very nice Harman Kardon CD system with 9 speakers. The 260 hp direct-injected turbo 4 cylinder is the engine that is now the rage. The ride is very good & it is very stately even though it has not changed since 2006. Somebody needs to wake up and buy Saab.It truely competes with and beats BMW 3s & 5s, Acura TL, MBs, Audi 6s, Lincolns, and CTSs. My only complaint is only one cupholder upfront.

Great performance wagon

by Pot Pie from Portland, Maine | February 8, 2009

Have Combi Aero. Overall good, despite jittery ride, steep depreciation and turbo lag. Good car to buy under a certified program. Good storage (73 C.F. w/seats folded)roof racks that take Thule system, 7 sec. 0-60 and great brakes. Aero package good value. Scored reliabiliy 3 due to 2 battery failure in year 1, dealer blames GM battery. That is only problem. Love it!

Featured Services for this Saab 9-5