Saturn's Aura midsize sedan gained a new base engine for 2008 - a 2.4-liter four-cylinder - which replaced the 3.5-liter V-6 as the base engine. The Aura is available in three trim levels: XE (four-cylinder), XE (V-6) and XR, as well as a hybrid version that is listed separately in the Cars.com Research section. Electronic stability control is standard on all models, and the entire lineup gains standard XM Satellite Radio. The Aura's competitors include the Ford Fusion, Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.
New for 2009
3.5-liter V-6 discontinued, standard six-speed automatic transmission, 2.4-liter four-cylinder now available in XE and XR trims.
The Aura looks larger and more mature than the Pontiac G6, with which it shares a platform. Upscale touches include LED taillights and body-colored door handles as standard equipment. The XR trim's chrome body molding has been removed for a more streamlined look. The Aura measures 190 inches in length and 70 inches wide, on par with its competitors.
- Standard 17-inch wheels
- Optional 18-inch wheels
- European-inspired side fender turn signals
- Deck lid badging moves from chrome bar to painted surface
The Aura features a two-tone interior with better-quality materials. For 2009, Morocco Brown interior leather is available on the XR. Passenger volume measures 97.7 cubic feet, which is slightly smaller than its competitors.
- Optional heated front seats
- Available remote engine start
- Standard steering-wheel audio controls
- Available power-adjustable pedals
- XM Satellite Radio displays artist and song simultaneously
Under the Hood
For 2009, the 219-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 is no longer available.
- 169-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder (160 pounds-feet of torque)
- 252-hp, 3.6-liter V-6 (251 pounds-feet of torque)
- Standard six-speed automatic transmission with clutchless-manual mode and steering-wheel-mounted shift levers
The Aura comes with numerous standard safety features, including electronic stability control, which is new for 2009. Other standard safety equipment includes:
- Front-seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags for both rows of seats
- Four-wheel-antilock disc brakes
- Traction control
- Standard OnStar with one free year of the Safe and Sound plan, which alerts authorities in the event of a collision and provides crash data