1995 Saturn SL

28 city / 40 hwy

Overall

1995 Saturn Sl1

by ishman from | June 12, 2014

My first car was this one. I've had it for 2 years and have put it through h e l l, what teenager wouldn't. It is a very reliable car for being 18 years old and a great gas saver. I love this car to death and plan on keeling it running for another 200,000 miles. There are some fixes to deal with here and there but that is expected, which I don't mind because the parts for this car are very cheap and not hard to find. Only 1 big fix was made to this car since I've had it. The clutch went out at 180,000 miles which isn't uncommon, and still it was only around 200 to fix.

Don't do it

by FiregurlKay from | December 1, 2010

I test drove this car and it stalled. When it stalled I couldn't get it to start for about 20 minutes. Compression starting it wouldn't even work. There are scratches all around the car. Passenger side door is very stuck and the mirror is missing. I was actually still willing to possibly buy but the dealer was rude and wouldn't even try to talk down the price. Coolant as oil in it as well

BEST CHEAP CAR ON MARKET

by big D from TEXAS | April 24, 2009

I bought this car brand new in 95, its not cool or sexy but it is Bulletproof.very easy and cheap to repair, i have changed oil every 3000 miles since new and now have 302,000 miles on it on original engine and transmission and still get 35mpg, try that on a $11,000 japanese car. I still drive it everyday on my 70 mile round trip commute..great everyday transportation.

tough little car

by sl driver from Seattle, WA | February 11, 2009

I recieved my 1995 SL as a gift from my sister. when i first got this car, I was hesitant about it. my real intent was to get it into good condition and sell it to buy a civic or some other cheap import. After a couple weeks of owning it, I grew to love it. It's reliable. I have only done one repair (leaky valve cover gasket) since i've owned it, otherwise, the only money I've put in have been maintenance and upgrades (alarm system and audio system) This little car is fun to drive. It's far from fast, but has great handling, and actually matches the rated gas mileage (which I've noticed is rare from cars of this age) The s-series cars are easy and even pleasant to work on, and a nice balance of simple and useful. The only real thing to be careful on is the oil level. These cars were actually designed to burn oil, i've read this has to do with the quality of 5w30 oil at the time they were designed. Other than that, they are pretty foolproof. The design was a bit ahead of it's time, pretty well-styled. the interior is functional and relatively comfortable. The back seats of the sedan are a bit on the small side, but the driver and front passenger seats are pretty spacious. I'm abotu 6'5" and have no troubles in this car, even taking it on long drives I stay comfortable.

served it's purpose

by likes cars from boston, ma | July 31, 2008

this is a great car to get you from point a to b. reliable, fuel efficient, and if you have a manual tranny, not entirely boring. had been through 2 other owners before me, and 3 people learning to drive stick, passed it down to my sister, she still drives it.

College Student First car

by Smart Student from Towson, Maryland | June 29, 2008

I brought this car from a local saturn dealer in aug 07 and it had 17k mi on it because the original owner was an elderly woman who used it for basic, short trips until she lost her ability to drive. This is my first car and I LOVE it. It's reliable, handles great and gets great gas mileage. It's also gold too...I call it Retriever because it's gold and dependable like a Golden Retriever lol. I drove almost 50 mi yesterday and barely used 1/4 tank of gas! Since i'm currently in college, i was thinking about getting a new car after i graduate but I'm probably going to keep it for many years to come!

Saved us in an accident!

by Miss Goldie from Tampa Bay, Florida | April 19, 2008

We were hit hard on the expressway. Our car took the impact and saved us all from injuries. It could have been the end of any other kind of car, but the Saturn was rebuilt and now we have over 198,000 miles and my daughter is driving. Safe and economical for a teen driver. My family has purchased over 16 Saturns. Sports car, but safe. Now the convertible is here, hope to get one.

Great first car

by A grateful grandson from NJ | March 28, 2008

My grandmother recently passed on, but she left me to drive her 95 SL2 as my first car starting this year. It has only 45K miles, so I got lucky there. But for a car that is absolutely great on gas it has some pep to it. Plus an american car like this normally does not have that many repairs. I look forward to driving this car for the rest of my H.S. life.

Best car I've owned so far.

by catbus from Yuba City, CA | December 6, 2007

Let's face it, Saturn isn't exactly a glamorous car. Also, an old Saturn really doesn't hold its value well.... But if you want to get from point A to point B cheaply, reliably, and with just a little flare this car is for you! I bought this car in 2003 in South Carolina, and it's been across the country and back with no serious trouble. Right now I have 160,000 miles on my car and it still runs almost like new. , What really impresses me about this car is it's excellent handling and good acceleration. Also at 34 miles per gallon (city mostly) it beats out most new cars for fuel economy. I'm 6'4" tall, so this car isn't exactly roomy to drive in. I do have to lean just a tad bit to the right to keep my head from touching the roof, and my legs are a little close to the steering wheel. Maintenance is fairly low as well, outside normal maintenance I have only had to replace the Clutch Cylinder, C-V Joint, Oil Gasket, O2 Sensor, and the Catalytic Converter. (Note this is over the past 5 years I've owned this car). Bottom line; if you want a cheap, reliable vehicle, with a sprinkling of sports car. This is the vehicle for you.

Great Vehicle

by Tamara from Denver, CO | November 9, 2007

I owned this vehicle for over 7 years and I loved it. I didn't incurr any expensive repairs. It was extremely reliable and dependable. I loved my Saturn. I traded this vehicle in for another Saturn, I will be a Saturn customer for a long time!

Featured Services for this Saturn SL