1997 Saturn Saturn

See Photos & Videos

Overall

great starter car

by luvmysaturn from san diego, CA | May 16, 2014

I bought this car for my daughter as her first car. it is super small on the inside, you can't be a big person or fit 5 large people, but it fits her perfectly! Great gas mileage and cheap to get tires and oil changes. we have had it 3 years, bought it from the original owner. we have had no problems at all with the car. wish it had more cup holders, but that was the way it was back in 1997.

Wish They still made the saturn cars

by Kate from Spring, Texas | September 23, 2012

Great car, cold ac. Love it. Bought the Car for commuting. Very dependable. Had to replace a 1999 Ford Contour that would not start, or would die on the road. The saturn Sl is great. We used to own a 1993 Saturn Sl and it had over 289,000 miles on it and was still working when we sold it. Hope to have the same reliability.

Pretty Darn Good

by Johnny Hurryup from Tafton Pa. | January 30, 2012

Bought this car for my daughter over 6 years ago, with 98,000 miles...It now has over 178,000 miles. Other than minor problems like battery, water pump. belt tensioner brakes and tires it's like a Timex watch....takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Most reliable car for me so far.

by Max from LI, NY | March 19, 2010

I bought this car already with 100,000 miles. Now it has 170,000 and I don’t have any major repairs, but had the clutch replaced when I got it. My son has been learning to drive stick and it still last. The only the major problem with Saturn is the cooling system. The cooling fan runs late. I had the sensor replaced, but still no luck. My mechanic told me that it is a common problem with this year cars. Over all is really reliable car. Never left me on the road and never been towed.

Great car!

by Little mama from Portage, IN | February 6, 2010

My dad bought me a 1997 SL2 for my first car in 2000. I absolutely loved it. I found the driver seat to be very comfortable. My car had a "boost button" that supposedly made it go faster. I truly believed that it made it go much faster, although I really am not sure if it did. I always won races, even with Mustangs, although I am not sure if I just thought they were racing me in my head. After getting into a bad accident, my dad kept the car from me for about half of a year (the insurance fixed it) and when I got it back it was leaking coolant due to the water pump. I kept filling the coolant and when I was running late to work one day I skipped filling it and it started on fire on the expressway. I stood next to my burning car bawling because I loved that car. Note: getting liability after your car is paid off really does not save you money if your car burns down! Since then, my cars have degraded. I am about to sell my old '94 Duster and purchase a used (probably 2002) Saturn SL2. I am very excited!

Good Car for the Price

by Satisfied Driver from Dallas, TX | January 15, 2010

I've had my Saturn SL2 for 8 years, purchased with 64,000 miles and now has 190,000 miles. I have had no major problems and very minimal repairs needed. It has never broken down on the road. I've driven it on several long distance trips. It's good on gas mileage and very dependable. My only complaint would be the road noise. It is not a quiet car inside. After 190,000 miles the power locks and windows no longer work right and the ceiling upholstery is falling apart. Otherwise, a good car.

Great Car

by College Student from Dallas, Tx | December 29, 2009

I bought a salvaged 97 Saturn over a year ago with 117k miles. I have added 20K miles to it and it still runs. I drove this car in MN in the coldest of weather. I even drove this junk from MN to Dallas, TX and it is still running. I have had a few problems with the car though. The oil seems to be leaking and I have to press the accelerator sometimes to start the car. But again I have a salvaged car and I am grateful that this car is still running. Is is a very good point A to B car especially for a college student. Great value for the money.

Best New car I've owned

by Saturn fan from Lower Alabama on the bay | September 6, 2009

I have owned this for 12 years (bought new). It fits my needs perfectly. I kept the oil clean and full and it doesn't burn any. Simply reliable. Has needed no major repairs in 12 years and 125,000 miles. The polymer body panels are a plus. Too bad Saturn doesn't make these any more! I plan to keep it forever. Oh yeah, it's easy to repair too.

My First Car

by Justneedacar from New Castle, De | July 3, 2009

I bought a 97 SL1 with 87K miles about 4 years ago as my first car and it runs great. I've only needed a few repairs which where not costly. Runs better then my friends brand new Kia Optima. Only downside - the upholstry on the ceiling shredded and the covers fell off the seatbelt clicker. Otherwise Icouldn't ask for a better deal.

Owned for 12 years

by AVS from | March 12, 2009

Owned this car since buying it new. Very reliable, easy to drive, low maintenance. Roomy for a compact car with good trunk space and handy foward folding back seats. Easy to read, basic instruments. Excellent gas mileage in the city and highway (avg mid 30's for highway driving). Smallish fuel tank with 300 mile range on average per tank of gas. Small rattles that change with the season, moderate road noise, otherwise great car. Sold my first Saturn to my sister who finally sold it with over 200k miles. Love the plastic panels that don't dent!

Featured Services for this Saturn Saturn