1999 Saturn SL

29 city / 40 hwy

Overall

Best bang for your buck

by Blackstock local from Port Perry Canada | July 1, 2015

Bought the car used just over 6 years ago, 1 previous owner with 110K on it. It still runs like the day I bought it, and I have put very little money into it. With the body being all plastic you don't get much exterior damage. Great on gas and drives better then 95% of the vehicles on the road in winter. Only minor thing I have to say about it and may just be my model but it burns oil a little bit. Amazing first car for anyone or a commuter car.

Almost 300K, and No End in Sight

by sosoclever from Lee County, Illinois | February 10, 2015

GM seriously dropped the ball when they closed Saturn. I bought this car new, and it will be turning over to 300,000 miles in the next six months. I won't be surprised if in another ten years I write another review saying it will turn over to 500,000 soon. As long as parts will be available when the old ones wear out, I think this car will just keep going. Last summer I was getting 38-42 mpg, mostly highway driving. (I don't use the a/c much.) This winter it's been getting 32-35 mpg. It has wintered outdoors in Northern Illinois since 2001, and starts right up. Older Saturns tend to burn oil, but as long as you get regular oil changes, that isn't a problem. It is a little low to the ground, which made it uncomfortable for my mom to get in and out of after having both hips replaced. I know that someday I will have to replace my car, and I doubt I will find another little workhorse like this one.

Unbelievable Find!

by PutPut77 from Rhinelander, WI | December 15, 2014

So I was in need of a very cheap yet reliable commuter car and I found a 1999 Saturn. It was still in very good condition with no rust and ran great. I checked the car fax and the report was clean. The car was a 1 owner with a good service history. It won't win a beauty contest or throw your head back against the seat when you punch the accelerator but I now have 193K miles on it and it doesn't miss a beat. It even drives through the snow like a champ. I still can't believe I found such a great cheap little car!

My Go-Kart

by TBone from Orange County New York | March 13, 2014

Bought my 99SL used from a car lot about 6 years ago. I now have 250,000 miles. The only repair was shift cables and a temperature sensor, which I did myself. If you have any talent at all, regular maintenance like tuneups, brakes, and other wear and tear items are easy work so it's fun for a driveway mechanic. With its light weight, peppy little motor, manual steering and the 5 speed manual transmission, it can be a lot of fun to drive on windy country roads. At the same time, it is comfortable on the highway easily cruising at 75 or 80 mph. Average gas mileage is 35 mixed. More than enough head room, leg room, and pretty generous trunk room. It's a great little commuter car.

The poor man's BMW (of the '90s)

by BMW Owner from Paducah, KY | October 20, 2013

I still have (and regularly drive) my 1999 SL1. It has 267,000+ miles on it and it still runs like the day I bought it new. Regular oil changes, not ragging it out, not modifying it, and not letting things go when they needed replacing or repairing was the ticket to this car's longevity. I think most people would be hard pressed to find a more reliable car requiring as little as this car needs to stay on the road. Still running on the original engine, transmission, timing chain, etc. Many Saturns were used as tow vehicles for RVs so if you can find one that has been towed a lot, it should have few miles and have many, many years of life left. Buying a used Saturn is actually a "greener" choice than buying a new hybrid.!

Reliable car, great on gas and easy to park.

by RandomShots174 from Bronx, NY | September 6, 2013

Great little car, big on reliability with few problems. Great on gas, spare parts are cheap, goes long on gas.

safe economical car

by practical female driver from | May 2, 2013

My husband and I walked away from a head on crash that totaled my car last week. No broken bones. It was a very dependable car. Drove mountain pass safely in winter storms for over a decade. Much better mileage than most new cars on the market now. Also amazing amount of fold through space when seats are down. Very sorry to lose it . Only cars marketed overseas seem to rival it. Not sure why we don't get the fuel efficient models here in the states.

Reliable-- 140,000 miles and runs great!

by notreallyacarperson from California | January 2, 2013

Bought this car more than 5 years ago. I'm the second owner. Didn't really know much about Saturns when I bought it, and so glad i did. Got 40 mpg driving from washington to california. still gets great mpg, though maybe not that much. Totally a basic model, but runs great. i'm starting to use it as a commuter car, and on the long drives i know it is not so great to handle. that and no power steering are its drawbacks. still it has been really reliable.

Saturn SL2

by paperbogie from | April 1, 2011

I purchased this model used 8 years ago and it has been great. It's comfortable, tolerable if you're over 6 foot. It's a little low on power, but faster and smoother at freeway speeds than a subcompact. Great mileage and still fairly reliable after 130K. Would recommend full synthetic oil and replacing the transmission fluid every 30-40k miles.

Highly recommended

by Eddie D. from Dallas | September 26, 2010

Its a shame saturn is no more. Dependeble car, great gas mileage. Great Eco-tech engine. GM is gonna wish they had keep this car company.

Featured Services for this Saturn SL