2000 Saturn SL

29 city / 40 hwy

Overall

A great little car

by streborkb from Dayton, OH | February 3, 2014

I currently own my third and fourth Saturn vehicle. Of the four I've owned, three of them are/were SL2 models. I am looking for another S-series for my daughter. What few complaints I've read in reviews could be said of virtually any vehicle, but especially small ones. These little cars were SUPERBLY designed with a specific purpose in mind. The two biggest issues of these cars are burning oil and transmission issues - both of which can be PERMANENTLY remedied. I have had friends drive them over 400,000 miles by simply taking care of them. The engines have fuel economy comparable to small cars of it's day, the polymer side panels never rust, the interior is elegant in it's simplicity and functionality. Is it a 'perfect' car? By all means 'no', but you don't pay the PRICE for one either. Aside from the occasional statistical malfunction (inherent in EVERY make/model) or previously abused car, I would say these little cars have better than average reliability and would recommend them to anyone looking for this class of car. I only wish Saturn still made cars.

Best car ever!

by beachBaby from Pennsylvania | September 19, 2012

Of course you need to maintain any car. And if you don't it can be junk. My 00' SL2 has 250,000 miles on the original engine and automatic tranny. Only problems so far is the auto down feature for the window doesn't work and the a/c has a leak.

Bang for your Buck

by PK418 from Columbus, OH | October 21, 2011

I bought my 2000 Saturn SL2 from an individual with 137,000 miles already on it. It runs great and the seats are very comfortable. I prefer small cars, so it is perfect for me. Not to mention the 31-34mpg I get in the CITY is awesome!! I got this car for an amazing deal and have had no problems with it. The only thing it lacks is cruise control. I would highly reccommend this car for people looking for an affordable, dependable economy car.

Decent Economical Car

by Cheapskate in a big body from Chicago, IL | January 14, 2010

Most economy cars don't fit someone my size (6'5" and 260 lbs). I fit ok in this one. I bought it brand new in 2000 and it has been ok. It had some weird quirks in the beginning but it has great gas mileage. Even now, with 150,000 miles, it still gets between the low 30s and 40 mpg. It's starting to leak oil quite a bit now but I can't complain too much. I did need to replace all of the fuel injectors at least once and had some other weird problems. Overall, it's ok for what I call a street-legal go kart. If you don't mind driving a plastic car with no pick-up and you want great gas mileage then go for it. I gave it a 2 for comfort because, even though I fit in it ok for shorter distances, it is extremely uncomfortable when I need to drive it for more than a couple hours.

Terrible reliability

by Saturn Owner from Fort Wayne, IN | October 4, 2009

Terrible reliability! Consistent problems with the electrical system, burning oil, gasket leaks, and brake issues. Battery terminals corrode every couple of months and most be scrubbed. Alternator also tends to have failures. Car burns approx 2-3 quarts of oil every 2000-3000 miles. Multiple gasket leaks and sensor failures. This car destroys brake pads and rotors at an alarming rate! Difficult to perform self maintenance on due the inaccessability of everything, and everything requires a custom size. Avoid at all costs!

excellent gas mileage

by Bill from Janesville | May 9, 2009

This car has excellent gas mileage and is VERY reliable. Also a 2000 saturn is relitivly cheap too buy.

Awesome car.

by JeepGuyinaSaturn from Chicago Burbs | June 28, 2008

I fell into an SL2 when my brother moved back home and didnt have a job so i took over payments. I love my car! Yes it is very basic (roll up windows, and a tape player) but gas mileage is amazing, I love the way it looks when its all cleaned up. The only thing i can think of that i dont like is because its a smaller car i feel a lot of bumps on the road. I dont like giving it an oil change because you have to be really small to get the oil filter off! overall its an amazing car for your money. I got the car at 94,000 miles and now its at 108 but its still quick!

Best car I have owned

by Ken from Paragould, Ar | February 1, 2008

I own the exact same car that is in the pic. Color and all. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I love the vehicle and wouldn't trade it for the world. Gas Milage is awesome.

Most reliable car i've owned

by big red from phoenix, az | April 20, 2007

it's great.... reliable, easy to work on, and kinda fast too. Especially the sl2, I really love it! it's an amazing car.

My Saturn (Dory)

by Saturn SL lover from Houston, TX | June 12, 2006

I got my saturn sl after my friend totaled my ford escort zx2...but it was best that i got this car anyway!!! My car is very reliable...i've had few major & minor problems but other than that (considering i got it used) i love it. I wan't to get a new saturn ion but i love my sl so much that i'm very hesitant. I get, what seems to me, GREAT gas mileage. While in high school all of my friends stuffed inside the car(total of 6 people in the car) it is just a fun, gas effecient, reliable car!!!

Featured Services for this Saturn SL