2001 Saturn SL

29 city / 40 hwy

Overall

Keeps On Going

by JemezMan from New Mexico | May 14, 2014

Bought it in 2001. Drove it cross-country loaded-down in 2008. Drive it 60 miles roundtrip to work everyday. Very comfortable for long distance trips. Really is the most comfortable car I have owned. Now has about 190,000 miles on it. Burns a lot of oil, but still gets great gas mileage. No major mechanical problems. Still a very smooth and quiet ride. Not a glamor car. Sort of basic and no frills compared to today's models, but dependable.

The Little Engine That Could

by 2001 SL 5 Speed from Levittown, PA | March 28, 2014

My 2001 manual has 190,000+ miles and the engine is still going strong. I bought it new 13 years ago and it's been very reliable and cheap to run. It is NOT a show car or sports car, but does the job of getting you from A to B for less than $13k brand new out the door in 2001. I get ~35 mpg average still and the little thing has towed multiple 2,000lb plus loads with my 4x8 trailer without fail. I've beat the heck out of it over the years and it still runs. Looking to finally get rid of it for a nicer car, but it's served me well.

Most disappointing car I've owned

by ProCommuter from Grantsville, Utah | January 3, 2014

as a young boy, i was always bent on getting a "sporty car", although this car looks like it could hold it's own, the 100HP is extremely disappointing. Not to mention that the looks of this car are utterly atrocious. The only thing that some would argue for the car is the "safety", i can assure you that the size of the car plus the poor building materials mean you'd be lucky to survive a wreck. Let alone your car. overall, i think that the price is unbeatable for a peace of junk. If you really hate your child, and want to see them suffer and struggle to find a new car as soon as possible, I would defiantly suggest this car!

great safe teliable car!

by great , safe reliable car! from sc | March 31, 2013

This car was my daughtet's first and second cars. They both run great and are made to really protect yoy in a crash. The first saturn was involved in an accudent where another vehicle ran right up onto the windsheild and my daghter walked away without a sratch. The second accident she was involved in a four carpile up on the interstate. The passenger 'cage' design protected her and again, she walked away without a scratch. This time the car was totaled. So she biught another saturn just like it. That car was rear ended at a stop light, and onky bumper damage. She still drives it to work, shopping, vacation trips, everywhere. It is an exceptional, reliable car to own. I like how it keepf her so safe. We also own a saturn vue and love it. Plus saturns are great to tow behind RVs, they tow on all 4 wheels easily. It was a sad day when we heard saturn woul close their doors.it's a good thing these saturns last so long and are easy keepers. .

best car in it's class

by Saturn lover from south suburbs | December 31, 2012

love this car - too bad Saturn discontinued we wish Saturn was still making their cars - we certainly wd buy again!

good car for the money

by gman from | December 22, 2012

Great car for the money, It had just a few cosmetic problems nothing severe, and really love the car. Have had a few problems starting but very infrequently. Overall, great car.

wont buy another saturn

by not impressed from iowa | July 22, 2012

in december we drove quite a ways to buy a 01 grand am but the dealer told us it had problems so they pointed us in the direction of the 01 saturn sl1 from the outside the car looked nice the inside was dirty the dealer told us they just got it in and didnt have time to clean it yet but they checked it over mechanical wise and it had no problems it was backed into the parking spot already warmed up for the test drive when we got there so we hopped in and took it for a short test drive (my first car from a dealer so not sure what to look for in a test drive) it seemed to drive fine for the 5 min if that drive it so we went ahead and got it by the time we got it home it was slamming through gears and slammed every time we put it in reverse sure was nice of the dealer to have it backed in so we wouldnt notice that since then ive learned to drive in nice so it only slams when accelerating too fast and going up big hills

Sad dilemma

by Saturn Vet from NW Arkansas | June 14, 2012

What a love/hate relationship!!! It's really so very sad that the 2001 SL2, the most beautiful small sedan design ever (in my humble opinion) had such raw, primitive, low-quality engineering. I had and loved a 1995 Saturn SW2 that was unfortunately destroyed by a natural disaster (or I'd still be driving it). This '95 was smooth, quiet, rugged, and dependable - I had no plans to EVER let go of it. But its getting smashed by a fallen tree changed my plans. Naturally, I thought a silver, exquisitely beautiful little 2001 Saturn SL sedan would be a wonderful replacement, but I soon found that I was grossly mistaken - the 2001 SL vibrated horribly at a red light (a problem I believed I could get fixed but never ever could), it squeaked and rattled at various speeds, with all windows closed it tranferred insufferable road noise into the cabin on the highway (like an open jeep!), both the CD and the cassette player broke (completely), the sunroof broke and repair cost was beyond belief, one of the interior reading light buttons fell out, and it started burning oil like a diesel. I had the most beautiful body ever designed by Saturn with the worst engineering of this era. When the A/C compressor (proprietary Saturn) died and the repair was more than the car was worth, I had no choice but to get rid of it. Frankly, I was in despair. I kept it only because it was beautiful - but oven-like temperatures on the black leather upholstery made me trade it in for a fleet-owned Taurus...another hardy sedan, but quite a gas hog compared to Saturns. If Saturn could have continued the quality it had in the 1990's, it might have survived. But the last of its truly home-grown models, the 3rd generation S series, like my 2001 SL2, were the beginning of its demise. So extremely sad, because the artists, the designers, were reaching their peak of beauty in the early 2000's, while the engineering and quality were making NO progress, but actually crashing badly.

Good Car!

by Saturn driver from Farwell, TX | August 24, 2011

I purchased a 2001 Saturn SL a couple months back with 50K miles. It looks, runs and drives great. Only disappointment is that I'm only getting about 32 MPG. The '99 I had previously got about 42mpg. Still, it is a good car!

Solid car

by Roger from Berkeley, CA | April 26, 2011

I am the original owner of my 2001 Saturn. I bought it fresh out of college and I still have it. I only have about 52,000 miles on it and have only done preventive maintenance such as oil changes, new tires, coolant flush etc. The transmission is clunky since about 7,000 miles into owning this car. I was told it might be the motor mounts. Other than the transmission, this car is pretty solid. I'm glad to see that other folks have 120,000+ miles on their Saturn. Comfort is not that great, however I am 6'3" so not my ideal sized car.

Featured Services for this Saturn SL