2012 Scion iQ

36 city / 37 hwy

Overall

Great Things Come in Small Packages

by SoyBomb from Seattle, WA | August 10, 2014

I live in Seattle and parking can be an issue, but thanks to my iQ that's not a problem any more. I love great design and I think the iQ is a marvel of engineering. It has beautiful lines inside and out. It's definitely not the car for everyone, but it should be on the top of the list for anyone considering a Smart Car. This beats that vehicle, hands down. This drives like a REAL car.

Thumbelina

by Mimi from Sacramento CA area | March 15, 2014

Toyota told me I was the first person to purchase ths car in the U.S.! Quite a distinction! I had seen it was overseas some years ago and was interested in it then but didn't think it would ever make it to the U.S. It was rolled off the truck at the dealership one night and I was waiting there the next morning. All it had to do was pass 4 tests. Easy to get in and out, good visibility out the back, merge safely on the freeway and be in my price range. It passed all with flying colors. When merging I'm doing 70-75 mph before I know it and have to let off the gas. I have had 3 adults in the car but since that is rare for me I have removed the rear headrests, put the back seat down and keep it that way. I have had a spare tire made up and there is plenty of room for it in the back along with all the other stuff I need to haul around at times. It is roomy in the front seat cabin and I really do forget how small the car is until I see it parked somewhere. I like making those tight u turns and seeing other drivers astonished faces. I enjoy everything about it and if it was totaled tomorrow I have no doubt I would replace it with another iQ. The only thing difficult about that decision would be deciding on the color!

I Love my Little Car

by Nugget from Knoxville, TN | February 4, 2014

Everybody loves this car. People ask me about it everywhere i go. People of all sizes have fit in it with me; large and small. I love cruising around in it. I never put more than $23 to fill it up. Only thing i don't like is the gas gauge bars AND IT DOESN'T HAVE CRUSE CONTROL UGHHH! I drove all the way to canada(12 hours) and it would have been nice.

Unique Fun Ride

by Mark Shark from St. Louis area | August 23, 2013

This little car feels a lot bigger inside than it looks from the outside. Comfortable seating with more than enough head and shoulder room for tall people. Fairly rough ride on bumpy roads but smooth as silk on the highway. Top fuel economy from a non-hybrid and tiny size make this car a blast to drive and own.

Best car. EVER.

by Claud from Orange County, NY | July 15, 2013

I've put 2k miles on the car already and I got it at 4k miles certified pre-owned. This car is awesome. plain and simple. Either you love or hate it based on what it looks like from looking at it for the first time. but don't be so judgmental. It's WAY bigger on the inside than it looks, so don't judge it just yet when you first see it. Secondly, this car gives me 41 MPG on average when driven using the eco. I live in a very mountainous area and the car has the power to accelerate over a huge hill/mountain. I was pleasantly surprised to see how the engine actually has power to it. Now, its no mustang, but I used to own a Hyundai Accent and it accelerates better than my old car.... and it has way better fuel economy. I commute 140 miles a day. I really think this is the BEST option for a car if you want a one that comes very close to hybrid fuel economy, without the price and expensive maintenance. Note: the car fits 3 people kind of comfortably, but its really meant for two. My dog rides in the back very comfortably :]

Much better then Smart

by KennyDallas from Dallas, TX | June 7, 2013

I test drove both Smart and IQ. The Smart was very disappointing and SLOW. The IQ is no corvette however it has more power and stability then Smart. Take both for a test ride,te buy IQ if your looking for a cute SMALL car.

Love my Pacific Blue Scion iQ

by Craftsman from NE Pennsylvania | September 21, 2012

I want to address the bad reviews I have read - Not enough power (It's 1.3 L with CVT ... a Ferrari it ain't; but what it has works fine for me); No glove box (Has a tray under the passenger seat, and I bought a lockable box at the Dollar Store for between the front seats); No center arm rest (if your hands are at 10 & 2, unless you're build like an orangutan, there is no need); Doesn't seat 4 (no duh. What do you expect in a 10 ft long car? - it's a 2 seater on steriods to keep insurance costs low); No trunk room (fold down the rear seats and there's ample room - it's a 2-seater on steroids); Stopping distance is too long (Don't tailgate, fool). Seat headrest is not adjustable (you did not notice this when you bought it? Many cars have this feature, as it is stronger and safer than the adjustable headrests). Bumpy ride (it's a 78 in. wheelbase, only 18 in. longer than my 650cc Suzuki Burgman. What do you expect?) Now for MY complaints - I'm tall, need to sit back - visor is not long enough on the driver's door (I bought a plastic extender - issue fixed). Terrible blind spot on the driver's side (had to tweak my left and center mirrors, but I've got it covered ... look over your left shoulder before changing lanes). There is no cigarette lighter (power port yes, but it doesn't work with a lighter) 8-( Now for my Pro comments. Very comfortable (seating and ride - I have no issues with the acceration, but have not yet taken it out to an area where I can safely test the handling responsiveness), love the default Pioneer sound system (old guy, dropped 3.5 GB music on a $10 USB stick, and I have DAYS of tunes that I can put in my pocket, no need for Satillite radio, CD's etc.), amazing gas milage (with no hybrid battteries to replace, regular gas, unlike the Smart4Two which runs on Premium) combined highway and local getting 37 MPG. A head turning quotient of 9.5 on a 10 scale. I can park 2 of these in my garage, front to back! LOL I can do a 360 in my driveway! It is fun to drive, economical, and looks good.

Hi IQ.

by Scion IQ Fan from Illinois | September 5, 2012

Have owned my Hot Lava IQ for a month now. For a car that is only ten feet long, this thing amazes me. Rides and handles just as well as any other small car and looks better than most of them. Am regularly getting 40 mpgs. Looked at Mazda 2 but couldn't get past that smiley face. Looks and reliability were the reasons I bought my car. If you like small cars, you'll love the IQ.

Seat Four

by Lessismore from | September 5, 2012

This car will seat four but it is a compromise. I am six two and can sit behind myself on the passenger side but not the drivers side, In that area a child would fit. When there are only two in the car and the seats are back there is more room than any car I can mention. A big plus is the width which is wider than any other small car and this provides plenty of elbo room. if you regularly carry four this is not the car to buy unless all are small. Its a short very maneuverable fun to drive, practical and economical highly individual car for nipping about but still capable of making long journey's. Those new owners complaining about passenger space or an uncomfortable seat show a lack of judgement when choosing the car.If I were to change anything it would be the highly reflective glossy center section of the dash that blinds the driver when the sun hits at a certain angle. Inexcusable from the interior designer.

Big inside but not a 4 seater

by KYIQguy from Greenup, KY | August 14, 2012

After owning my 2012 IQ for 3 months, I have had a few situations where I needed to seat 4. This is my only complaint with it. It does not seat 4. I am 6'0 but keep the seat forward a bit and even when straining to get 4 into the vehile it was just not possible. The people in the back have to sit with their legs sideways and crushed by the seats. The claim that this vehicle seats 4 can almost be argued as false advertisement even a child cannot sit back there without discomfort. Something tells me the next model or 2 will be about 12 inches longer because this thing is bordering a reason for consumers to return it. The sound system is great for the pricetag, I paid 16,400 for mine with spoiler and Pioneer sound system. I put some custom rims on it to style it up a bit and i love the way it drives and handles. I average 34 miles per gallon so Im sure the gas claims are legit. I did talk to my dealer about trading it back in for something a bit bigger inside that could seat 4 without false claims. They offered me 12,500 to trade it back in. This is 3 months old with 1700 miles on it. Mint condition. Needless to say I think Ill be going back to a chevy after the trade in I was offered was insulting. I was expecting 14,000 becuase condition and milage were prestine.