2005 Scion xB

31 city / 34 hwy

Overall

2005 XB

by pazuzuking from N.M. | July 16, 2014

I've had my 2005 Scion xb since the end of 2004. Love it! It's never let me down and is fun to drive. I love driving it today as much as the first time I drove it.

Nine Year review

by polarbear from Champaign IL | March 15, 2014

After nine year owning my Black Cherry 2005 Scion I feel comfortable giving It a review. I have a 6 foot Alpine body long torso and average size legs which are small in proportion. I mention this because it is relevant to my review and may explain why my attitudes about the car are different. First off it is a polarizing car design people either love it or hate it. If you are sensitive to people come up to you and asking about or ragging on the looks of your car it is not for you even used. While headroom was a main criteria access, price, .economy , reliability, storage and durability were significant . I also favor an upright position while driving from year of driving vans. The only serious alternative to this vehicle was a Honda Element and I sat in dozens of candidates. The Element cost more but had an Accord engine which made it hard to chose against but the XB had a more usable back seat an a very peppy engine for its size giving it more economy. I commute about 23 miles on an interstate the XB has been a reliable road warrior. Went through a couple sets of tires but not much else in 120K miles. It has sports tunning so you do feel the road but other than windy icy conditions it is a up to any situation with precision steering . I have never felt in danger because I could not accelerate but I don't choose anyone to race with. It's best use is as and urban car. The paint has held up well with a minimum of wash and a maximum of student car lots but its high windshield is a favorite of mosquitos in the summer. I could complain about the controls on the standard Pioneer radio but the sound makes up for it.. It has maintained its value and it is the only car I have ever owned that was never up side down. As late as three years ago dealers were making unsolicited offers for it? It has been an great commuter car too bad the present XB is unrelated to it in economy or styling.

a really great car

by hankster from atlanta, ga | February 26, 2014

No matter where or how I drive this car, I get at least 30 mpg. A great car. It does ride a little bumpy at higher speeds. Great reliability.

Toaster

by ffer from Denver, Colorado | December 22, 2011

My wife and I both have a 2005 xB and I can't imagine a better urban vehicle. An occasional long road trip is fine too. We both have hobbies which require the ability to haul lots of large items. For carrying passingers, the back seat is like a Lincoln Town Car. The above review applies ONLY to the 2004 & 2005 xB's. NOT the later models.

<3 my Toaster

by Square Car from Lawrenceville NJ | February 9, 2011

My little Scion is fun to drive and great to own. It has a lot more room than you might expect, and gets fabulous gas mileage, way better than what they say. I get 30 around town, better on the highway. I have 68,000 miles and just replaced the battery. I still have the original brakes, etc. I have done nothing more than regular maintenance and replaced tires. It is a little hard on tires. I like the minimalist dash, a better sound system would be nice, because it is a tad noisy. You really won't find a better car for the money, and it is adorable!

Inside the Box

by Travis from Columbia, MO | October 28, 2010

I have had my XB for 3 months now and still love it. It gets 30 mpg in town and 33 on the highway. It is a great car for in town driving and daily commutes. I have not had it through winter months so can't say how it will handle the midwest weather. I really like the stereo system and interior. It has enough space for groceries and if you buy something bulky you can lay the seats down for transport. It does have a small engine, but the it has enough to jump out into traffic when needed. I own a manual transmission and it is fun car to drive. You aren't buying a race car though, don't expect too much performance. I would probably not enjoy long highway trips in this car, but have not taken it on one yet, so I can't say. It is my only car and I am pleased with my purchase. I would buy again with no regrets.

stylish economical customizable and awesome

by graphixprime from florida | October 15, 2010

I love this car. It has amazing fuel economy - Since I've bought this car, I've cut my fuel costs in half! I have to haul boxes and band equipment for my job, and this is perfect for those tasks, as this car, while looking small from the outside has been designed to optimize cargo room. I can fit 2 full size guitar speaker cabinets, two amplifier heads, 3 guitars, a keyboard, and the stands, and there's still room for more. I love this car, I can't praise the vehicle enough. Also, I think the older xb body style is more pleasing than the newer models. You also can find very affordable items to customize your xb, making the look of your car completely up to the owner, which for some is great.

Best car I've owned

by Limited Yellow Scion Mom from Daytona Beach, FL | August 26, 2010

I didn't think 2005 XB came in black. First I've heard of it. I love my Limited Edition yellow scion xb. I've had it called the toaster, school bus, taxi. It is cute to me - although some people think it is ugly - until they sit in it and see all the room! Great car!!!!

toyota disappointment

by Michael from Vermont from New Haven, VT | March 29, 2010

I do a lot of highway driving carrying a small load. The xb has just the right capacity for my needs, the mileage is good (about 26 mpg when fully loaded and driving at 70-75), and it's a fun car to drive. Unfortunately it's the worst car I've ever owned mechanically speaking. At 38,000 miles the clutch went. I've driven standard shifts all my life and clutches always lasted me at least 150k. Then at 42,000 the transmission went. I was really surprised by that, but at least the extended warranty covered it, which was not true for the clutch because it's a "wear and tear" item. At 100,000 I had to replace the front wheel bearings. The tailgate handle broke off in my hand, and a month after having it fixed it broke off again so I resorted to epoxy to hold it together. At 140,000 a part in the emission control system went, another $450. Total cost of these repairs about $3900. After reading all the reviews on this site I think I got a lemon.

great car

by rich from northern new jersey | February 3, 2009

i have own this car since new and now have 56,000 miles never have had any problems with this car great car

Featured Services for this Scion xB