2005 Scion xB

31 city / 34 hwy

Overall

Our Heart of Texas Scion XB

by Scion XB of Texas from Manor Texas | July 30, 2015

We bought our used 2005 Scion XB in September of 2010 w/ 48k mile and here it is July 2015 w/109k miles. We almost traded this car in for a Honda Odyssey but decided against it when the dealership only wanted to give us $2k for it so we decided to keep it since its been sooooooo good to us…We have maintained it as scheduled, added new tires and rims, new Bluetooth stereo and new speakers and it sounds great . We had to replace the radiator twice but that was because of rocks hitting the radiator, I am thinking of by a car bra for it. We noticed the Bosch wipers are best for this car and cheaper if you buy them online..We had to replace the window motors but purchased those online too for dirt cheap and if you look on Youtube you can find a lot of stuff on how to do it yourself easily…The only drawback about this car is how flimsy it is, so be careful on the road and try to avoid hitting anything because the front and rear bumpers are very flimsy and the parts break off easily. The other thing about his car it doesn’t have a lot of power when your are taking off but once you’re going , you’re going good, other than that this car is a great car and I am glad we didn’t trade it in….We take this car all over Texas, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Laredo and South Padre Island and we take our three small pets with us…All we do is put our duffel bags and backpacks on the floor and fold down the rear seats and stick a ice chest in the back and we are good to go and the pets have plenty of room to lay around. I thought about getting a roof rack but I refuse to spend $1000 for a roof rack and cargo basket. So if you’re looking to buy a 2005 Scion XB, I highly recommend it.

It's Served Me Well in Urban Driving

by Black Cherry Pearl from Dallas, TX | February 26, 2015

My ten year old 2005 Black Cherry Pearl with 100,000+ miles has been reliable. Although I've replaced the battery, changed all 4 tires, had the belts replaced, and responded to the recall, I've gotten my money's worth. At first people don't get what a Scion really is...I call mine the little sister to a Forerunner. I've suggested they fix the roof with deeper grooves where water doesn't pour in when it's raining or simply add a kind of shield. It's a bumpy, noisy ride and probably meant for high school kids but, for the $, it has served me well.

Love my car!!

by Sue from Long Island , NY | February 16, 2015

If I had earned a commission every time I recommended this vehicle, I'd be rich by now! I've only had amazing things to say about my 2005 xb when approached by strangers who are curious about my unusual looking car. I've let them see the interior, which seats 5 very comfortably due to the boxy shape. We specifically searched for a roomy car that was still economical, and I never once regretted this purchase. Great mpg, just such a fun car. Bumpy ride true, but I barely notice any more. Do wish it was not so low to the ground, which makes it not a great car for the snow...but all in all, love this car and would buy another xb in a heartbeat ( though why has fuel economy gotten worse in new models????)

I have owned much better.

by James from Minnesota | February 1, 2015

The car did get very good MPG despite the box design. 33mpg hwy with a manual. The problems I had were like others have stated. 1. The plastic hatch release broke off (look around and you will notice other XBs driving around with these broken) 2. Two bottom grill pieces fell out. (once again look around and you will see other XBs driving around with these missing) People on XB forums have posted ideas how they drill holes trough them with zip ties attaching them to the car so they don't loose these when they fall out. 3. There is not tensioner pully for tension when changing a belt to apply and take away tension. You basically have to loosen the alternator to take off a belt. To put a belt back on you have to guess how much tension is on because there is no tensioner. 4. Mine leaked inside and would fog up with condensation. 5. It sits very low to the ground and driving down the road in a snow storm I hit a chunk of snow that fell off another vehicle cracking the front valance. 6. It handled very poorly in snow. We had a snow storm and I got stuck in my driveway and could not make it to work. Many times I had great difficulty making it up even slight inclines in the winter.

scion xb 2005

by vlad from | October 29, 2014

I never write revives, but about scion xb 2005 I need to say few words. Have this car from 2005 and now on it 175000 ml. Never have any problem with it. Travel many different states without any worry car going to fail me.

2005 XB

by pazuzuking from N.M. | July 16, 2014

I've had my 2005 Scion xb since the end of 2004. Love it! It's never let me down and is fun to drive. I love driving it today as much as the first time I drove it.

Nine Year review

by polarbear from Champaign IL | March 15, 2014

After nine year owning my Black Cherry 2005 Scion I feel comfortable giving It a review. I have a 6 foot Alpine body long torso and average size legs which are small in proportion. I mention this because it is relevant to my review and may explain why my attitudes about the car are different. First off it is a polarizing car design people either love it or hate it. If you are sensitive to people come up to you and asking about or ragging on the looks of your car it is not for you even used. While headroom was a main criteria access, price, .economy , reliability, storage and durability were significant . I also favor an upright position while driving from year of driving vans. The only serious alternative to this vehicle was a Honda Element and I sat in dozens of candidates. The Element cost more but had an Accord engine which made it hard to chose against but the XB had a more usable back seat an a very peppy engine for its size giving it more economy. I commute about 23 miles on an interstate the XB has been a reliable road warrior. Went through a couple sets of tires but not much else in 120K miles. It has sports tunning so you do feel the road but other than windy icy conditions it is a up to any situation with precision steering . I have never felt in danger because I could not accelerate but I don't choose anyone to race with. It's best use is as and urban car. The paint has held up well with a minimum of wash and a maximum of student car lots but its high windshield is a favorite of mosquitos in the summer. I could complain about the controls on the standard Pioneer radio but the sound makes up for it.. It has maintained its value and it is the only car I have ever owned that was never up side down. As late as three years ago dealers were making unsolicited offers for it? It has been an great commuter car too bad the present XB is unrelated to it in economy or styling.

a really great car

by hankster from atlanta, ga | February 26, 2014

No matter where or how I drive this car, I get at least 30 mpg. A great car. It does ride a little bumpy at higher speeds. Great reliability.

Toaster

by ffer from Denver, Colorado | December 22, 2011

My wife and I both have a 2005 xB and I can't imagine a better urban vehicle. An occasional long road trip is fine too. We both have hobbies which require the ability to haul lots of large items. For carrying passingers, the back seat is like a Lincoln Town Car. The above review applies ONLY to the 2004 & 2005 xB's. NOT the later models.

<3 my Toaster

by Square Car from Lawrenceville NJ | February 9, 2011

My little Scion is fun to drive and great to own. It has a lot more room than you might expect, and gets fabulous gas mileage, way better than what they say. I get 30 around town, better on the highway. I have 68,000 miles and just replaced the battery. I still have the original brakes, etc. I have done nothing more than regular maintenance and replaced tires. It is a little hard on tires. I like the minimalist dash, a better sound system would be nice, because it is a tad noisy. You really won't find a better car for the money, and it is adorable!

Featured Services for this Scion xB