2009 Scion xB

22 city / 28 hwy

Overall

Love our 2009 Scion XB!

by NewScionLover from Simi Valley, CA | July 8, 2013

Our Scion XB is fabulous. It gets double the gas mileage of our van (a 2001 Nissan Quest), has more passenger room than our van (it seats five passengers very comfortably), has larger cargo space in the back than our van (no kidding), and is a smoother ride. It's fun to drive and easy to park in small places. Great air-conditioning. We love it so much that we will take it on our next 800-mile vacation instead of the van, a choice we have now that we're down to two kids at home. The only down side so far is it takes synthetic oil instead of regular oil which is more expensive. Some people don't like the funky looks, but I think the newer Scion XB's look cool and different. I LOVE OUR NEW SCION!

I hate this car I want to get rid of it

by Go MINI from Fairwater, WI | October 4, 2012

I thought I would like this car because when they first came out I thought they were awesome and I wanted it but now that I own one it....I just hate it if anyone likes them I don't know how but kudos to you would anyone like mine? I only owe 14500 which I feel is way more then what it's worth

I love Toast

by Toaster Lover from Rayville, LA | December 12, 2011

I love my Scion Xb. There are many accessories that can be purchased to make this vehicle more custom and luxurious. The leather seat option was not available in the scion that I purchased but Katskin makes a custom leather seat cover that looks factory. There is alot of room compared to a car. The gas mileage could be better I think, but the get up and go is nice. I thought that this vehicle being a 4 cylinder wouldn't be spunky but it is powerful for it's size motor. The only complaint that I have is the fact that the air condiitioner settings are manual, where I was spoiled to my digital setting in my Ford Edge. For the price.. this vehicle is great.

Grandma's Ghetto Bus

by Grandmawithgame from Valley Forge, PA | October 14, 2011

Oh the nonsense I got when I brought my Scion home. My kids call it Grandma's Ghetto Bus. I love it. I have issues getting in and out of cars, and it's perfect for these old bones. I like its zippy acceleration for my highway commute, but the ride is hard. Spoiled by my old Avalon! Huge inside. Seat is big, doesn't cut off in wrong spot. Backseat is easy to get into, as well. Easier than my daughters expensive SUV. When I replaced the factory tires with high end tires, I got a softer ride and plowed through all the bad PA winter weather. My 6'2" son loves to drive it. Corners well.

Reliable and functional for carrying

by Hotrod from Macon GA | October 11, 2011

Reliable, 25 mpg combined, seats are uncomfortable, hard ride, but it has no problems, so it is worth keeping for that reason. Rear seat folds down flat so it carries a lot of stuff easily.

Scion xB

by CSR from Richfield, WI | June 29, 2011

Absolutely a great vehicle. Sat inside one for the 1st time at the Spring 2011 auto show. We were surprised at the amount of interior space the vehicle had since it does not look that big from the outside. Gas mileage is good - about 29-30mpg in combined city/highway driving. It could use a lower final gear ratio since 70mph is about 2,800rpm on the tach. Great acceleration and it has a tight turning radius. It could also use a bigger fuel tank since the range is about 300 miles between fill-ups. Very quiet inside but it could use some insulation under the hood. We have had the car for 3 months and put about 4,000 miles on it without any problems. Yes, we would buy another one.

Fantastic Cars

by Riccardo from Rochester NY | February 25, 2011

Worry free driving. Two years owning this car and not one problem. Gas mileage is better than what EPA estimates when you don't rev up too much. Great engine with good power.

Dependable, Comfortable, and Looks is depending on

by Victor M. from Augusta, GA. | November 7, 2010

Purchase the Scion xB in July of 2009 for going back and forth from home to work. Have driven 13, 200 miles to - date and enjoyed the xB on a 490 round trip to Atlanta, GA. from Augusta, GA. The xB did will in and around both cities. Found the xB was RPM-ing high on the high was at 60 mph the engine was doing 2900 to 3200 rpm's. This killed the Mile per Gallons, at 50 to 55 the Gas mileage was as advertized... Suggestion to Toyota manufacture, put a 5 speed auto-matic...

Great weird car

by carfool from Pensylvania | August 5, 2010

I have a 16 year old who was getting his permit. I was driving a 2003 Camry with a stick shift, and no ABS or traction control. I was also ready for an automatic after 30+ years of driving stick. The Camry was reliable, but treacherous in the snow or heavy rain. i wanted something safer for my son. I also haul kids with snowboards a lot. The Scion Xb is like a Tardis (Dr. Who fans understand), small on the outside, and cavernous on the inside. I'm 6 foot as are my sons; we can all sit comfortably. ABS, traction control and curtain airbags are standard, so I'm very confident that it is safe for my son. The driving dynamics are pretty good, for something that sits as high as it does, it is fun to fly around in. It has enough power to allow for decent acceleration, and a relatively smooth ride for a small car. Although it is only a 4 speed automatic, shifting is very smooth, and it has a rudimentary "tap" shift function which was really nice in the snow. My only complaint with the ride is that it isn't great in strong cross winds, but then it is shaped like a billboard. Performance in the snow is good. I keep constant track of my mileage and I'm getting between 27 and 29 MPG in mixed driving, which includes a lot of 70+ MPH cruising. The standard stereo has an ipod interface, which is ok, but the buttons that control the ipod are fiddly to the point of distraction. the sound is good, though. i have read complaints about the upright driving position, but I really don't have a problem with it. I've driven much less comfortable cars. I have two complaints; the sunroof, or rather the lack of one. My last couple of cars had sunroofs, and I didn't realize how much I appreciated them until I didn't have one. XBs do not come with sunroofs. My other complaint is the gas gauge. It will be on empty, the low fuel light will be on, and the range indicator is at zero. I've yet to put more than 12 gallons in to fill it up. So the gauge is quite pessimistic. Bottom line, if you want a reliable, funky car, that is safe, fun and cheap, this may be the one.

Great car.

by Sheepish from Kalamazoo, MI | August 5, 2010

Not as good with gas mileage as our 2005 scion xB, and the clutch releases way too high (manual transmission) but it's a fun fun car with a great stereo.