2008 Scion xD

27 city / 33 hwy

Overall

Fuel-efficient vehicle

by Tall driver with a lead foot from Rochester, NY | June 24, 2013

Pros: Driver's position in the cabin has enough head and leg room for a person 6' 6 " tall. Nice little vehicle with hatchback and fold-down rear seats for hauling cargo. Fuel efficient -- between 30 and 35 MPG -- and I'm not exactly a slowpoke. Handles well and manual shift helps with added acceleration boost when needed. Inside compartment and overall fit and trim are nicely done. My wife has a SCION XD also (same year ), so I knew what I was getting before I purchased this as a used vehicle for my own personal use. Cons: Seat comfort is adequate for getting around town or for short trips, but seat angle does not support thigh for a very tall driver, so long trips (2 hours or more) can be very uncomfortable after a while. Acceleration is not great when you need to pass in a hurry, but that is to be expected performance for a small fuel-efficient engine. As mentioned above in "Pros", a manual transmission helps to compensate for some of that "shortcoming". Other Comments: Roomy enough for 5 normal adults for trips about town, or for short-range trips, but for long trips requiring luggage, this could be challenging for 4 people. Overall, I'm very happy with my SCION XD, as is my wife, who's had hers for a couple years now.

Great Car Nice Buy!

by Natasha M from Columbus, IN | January 30, 2012

It handles well and is fun to drive, easy to parallel park with. Purchased and love the Scion xD thanks Mike!

Another Great Cars that I've Owned

by Green Car Enthusiast from Independence, MO | July 28, 2011

Earlier this year I traded my Scion XD for another car. I wanted to let other people know what a great car my Scion was. I bought it used in great condition with about 16,000 miles on it. It was a speacial Release Series 1.0, 1,996 of 2,000 made. It was a burnt orange color called "Hot Lava" with matching color accents on the interior - dash, doors, seats, steering wheel, etc. The basic interior color was black. I never had any problems with my Scion XD. I just performed the regular maintainence required - oil changes, alignments, balancing and rotating tires, checking fluids, etc. I only owned it for a little over a year, but it was a great car. I drove it to Dallas and back (aprox. 1,000 miles) without any problems at all. I think I got around 30-33 mpg on the trip. My only complaint was that I was only getting about 20-22 mpg around town. That could have just been because I only drove it short distances most of the time though. I may have just happened to get lucky, but based on my exerience with my Scion XD - I would definately recommend one. My previous car was also made by Toyota and I loved it!

Great Urban Runabout

by Mosquito from St Paul | February 26, 2011

The Scion xD was our affordable option to find a small, four-door, manual transmission vehicle that's good for running errands around town. It holds five people, gets good gas mileage, is fun to drive, and fits into the tiniest of parking spaces. The interior feels roomy for a small car (I'm 6'2) and we can haul three kids in the back seat with no problem. Our only criticism is the awkward placement of the cup holders, but it's a minor flaw. Overall, we've been very pleased with the Scion.

This is a zippy car with great fuel economy

by Trevor from Memphis, TN | February 20, 2011

I had been looking at getting one of these vehicle for a long time and what do you know one shows up with low miles and not for a bad price. Even though I had to drive 2 hours to get it. Wish it had a center console but hey handling is great and so is the stereo system. Now I have to see how it holds up.

Love it!!

by First Time Buyer from Minneapolis, MN | July 1, 2010

Great little car, handles beautifully, wouldn't trade it for anything! We got the manual transmission, and it shifts easily. Will be perfect for our small little family!

Best Car I've Ever Owned In A Big City

by City Dude from Chicago, IL | March 9, 2010

I've lived in one of the nation's largest metropolises for several years now and have gone through a few cars...and I must say, the Scion xD suits my needs far better than any other vehicle I could think of. As an artist, I occasionally need to haul large, bulky items such as wood beams or bicycles or costume racks. The interior space of this little car has, astoundingly, always been enough. As a city-dweller, I need good city mileage, which the xD provides, as well as good initial pick-up to make driving from stop sign to stop sign fun, which it also comes through on. And despite its interior size, it's technically a sub-compact car, so tight parallel parking is not a problem. I love the iPod hookup that comes standard, and the sound inside is quite nice. Also - I never thought I'd be one of those people who'd use the steering-wheel audio controls, but I was wrong. Steering-wheel audio controls are awesome. I've never had a mechanical problem with it, not even in snow, and it rides high enough that I don't get stuck in snow banks by the curb after a storm. I would most definitely recommend this car to anyone who lives in a crowded city.

Nice Vehicle. Poor Cargo Area.

by C.J. from NY | September 14, 2009

I've owned my Scion XD for almost two years. No problems. It gives me 35 MPG and plenty of power to climb steep hills in the southern tier of NYS. It steers and handles with ease. Nice radio and CD player. The extra cargo space is nice, but there's an annoying 2-inch plastic hump running the length of the inside edge of the trunk. All cargo must be lifted up and over that hump. It's difficult to load/unload anything heavy without placing a strain on my back. Since the hump is made of plastic it's going to crack the first time I drop anything heavy on it. Campers beware! You cannot just slide your gear in and out of this vehicle. Everything has to be lifted over that hump. For a vehicle made to accommodate extra cargo, the design is very poor. There are plenty of cubby holes and drink holders, as well as two glove compartments. The front seats could be more comfortable. The padding doesn't feel adequate. Long rides could become a bit uncomfortable for anyone weighting 170 or more. This is a very nice car for the money, but the poor cargo design (hump) might prevent this camper from purchasing another one.

Great Value/Nice zippy car

by musiclady from NJ | August 29, 2009

Only had my 2008 XD a few weeks but love it so far. Terrific mileage, good acceleration. I thought that I would feel uncomfortable or unsafe in such a small car but I don't at all. Front seats are very supportive. I love the styling of the car although I've heard some describe it as ugly! It holds MANY bags of groceries in the trunk and if I need more room the seats go down easily. I thought I would buy a Honda Fit but this XD won my heart. I do hope it lives up to Toyota's durability history.

An amazing well loved car...

by Eli-Ray from OXFORD, NY | August 17, 2008

After many hours of research looking for a vehicle with safety and economy as the two main objectives I decided to test drive the Scion XD. I was so amazed at the power and road response along with the design and room inside this car that I purchased this car. My family loves this car from the great stereo to the design. The side and curtain airbags w/ a 5 star side crash rating makes me feel better having my 2 kids and wife in the car. As far as economy, we average 40 mpg. We are very happy with this car and would recommend this car to all....I really can't believe there is not more of these on the road. We had to go out of state to find one w/ 3 Toyota dealers in the area. A great bargain for the price..

Featured Services for this Scion xD