2009 Scion xD

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Bad Dealership Beware to All

by Rickyram from Miami | October 9, 2013

This dealer is a ripoff and should be avoided...the price on any car listed here is not the actual price because they claim is the cash price and when asked to see the finance price they said until the finance manager shows you the numbers they don't know the finance price.. This method of selling cars is unethical because how can they not know the price of the car weather it's finance or cash before you actually fill out all the paper work.. The dealership could easily raise the price of the car once they decide what you can afford as a way to rip you off..

Unlike any others

by Ragin Cajun from Lafayette, LA | January 8, 2013

I bought my '09 Scion xD in September of '08, and, 70,000 miles later, have absolutely loved it so far. I was worried about the size at first since I'm a pretty big dude, but there is plenty of leg room (would hate for a similarly big guy to sit behind me in the back seat, but once my wife drives, there's plenty of room in the back)! I am a salesman for a large distribtor, and once in a while I need to deliver some orders a few hundred miles. The CARGO SPACE is a dream - I have time & time again surprized myself by just how much I can fit AND get great gas mileage at the same time! 20 50lb boxes hauled 150 miles? At the end I had an average of 33 MPG! At the same time, my wife and I have 2 wee ones - so handling, safety, smoothness, and comfort are important, and the xD delivers on all (plus fitting all the baby stuff that comes with hauling babies)! One complaint is the road noise - I'm normally not too worried about this factor, but my 2-year-old holds his ears on the interstate sometimes. The rear window is itty-bitty, with large pillars on each side, so driving certainly took some getting used to. FEATURES: I am a musician, so sound was important, but due to finances I got the "lower end" radio. I don't regret it - music sounds great (if I have it faded to the front speakers only - once the power is split from front to back, the audio quality diminishes quickly). I love the cruise control - much more responsive than others I have used. I see so much potential in the add-ons, but that'll have to take a back seat to other life priorities - looks pretty easy to modify (and it's encouraged)! All things considered, I'll be reeeeally sad to see it go (when we need a VAN for the next kids a-comin')! Highly recommended.

Best of everything

by azblue from Portland, OR | October 3, 2011

I've have about 20,000 on my scion and if I had to choose all over again I'd still go with this car. I went with the manual transmission as it has a higher mpg and provides better control for snow driving, acceleration, and cornering. Pros: MPG: City driving is usually around 27 while on the highways I can get it as high as 40 averaged. Recently I've noticed that I can get an even better fuel average with good driving techniques. Transmission: comes in manual or auto depending on your preference. Air conditioning controls: easy to use and reach and requires minimal attention to change while driving. Space: the hatchback provides ample cargo space. Seating is comfortable for even my largest, tallest friend. Small compartments in the back provide nice storage and hiding spots. Handling: turns sharply enough and is responsive, short nose makes getting in and out of tight spots easier Cons: I find that the design of the frame blocks some of my view on the front left which takes some getting used to. With standard stereo: when your ipod is connected it's not very easy to interact with it. It's easier to unplug the ipod and change music that way than muddle through the stereo interface. Other mp3 players (used through the other jack) seem to only come from one speaker side. You may have better luck if you opt for the upgraded version or a different setup. Road noise can be loud at times, though the engine itself is generally quite (a passenger once commented that they couldn't tell if the car was on or not when we were at a stop light) Cup holders don't seem to be quite big enough for some cup sizes (off my millimeters sometimes)

Great Car - Great Value

by Pville Skier from Placerville, CA | January 4, 2011

I've got 31,000 mile on my '09 Xd now and I can report that the car is living up to its promise. I have the manual transmission - and the care is fuel efficient (35 mpg hwy) and fun to drive. What really impressed me is that after I hit about 28k miles, it is like the care gained an extra 20 horsepower - I can power up hills in 5th gear that required me to drop to 4th gear to stay at 65 mph before. I guess it is finally broken in. The value for the money in this car is outstanding. Combine that with the expected longevity (200k miles), the efficiency, the practicality and the 'fun' factor, and you have a great package. I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing this car brand new. Oh - I bought some Spike Spiders (Swiss made easy-on and off snow traction devices) and this car is now a snow machine, too. Love it.

Fun and an Excellent Value

by Daily Commuter from Placerville, CA | October 28, 2010

I've been driving my '09 xD for two years - I have about 30,000 mile on it now. I have had no problems with the car. I get 34-35 mpg on the highway, about 30 overall. The car is fun to drive. When I hit about 25,000 miles there was a noticeable increase in power - it took a while to break in. The car is an excellent value at about $14,500 with a bunch of standard features. I looked at the Honda Fit, but I liked the feel of the Scion better, especially on the highway. The only negative I can think of is the blindspot caused by the larger pillars in the back. Overall, it is a great car - especially for the money. I plan to have it a long time.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Car Enthusiast from Annapolis,MD | October 11, 2010

I have purchased mine in 2010 Scion XD in aug of 09 and 14 months and 14 000 miles later is 100%.I drove it cross country to Yellowstone National Park from Maryland.I went through floods in the south,fires in the midwest and eventually snow storm/blizzard in and around Yellowstone in begining of may 2010.Was a 6000 miles and change around trip,with 1165 miles in the single day DRIVEN more like 17 hours straight.The car is well beyond avarage,it's also build in Japan go figure!!!!!!!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Affordable and reliable

by Sai- on from | February 9, 2010

I've had this car for 10 months. It's been great, reliable, very fun to drive. I still look forward to driving it. I went with the manual transmission and get an about 36 miles/gallon with mostly highway miles. The stereo is amazing with ipod and aux hookups. The rear seats fold down very easily to move stuff. The price was great, especially if you can't afford a hybrid but want to get good gas mileage. Negative things: -Dark interior in the South makes it hard to cool off the car in the middle of summer. Go with a lighter interior if you live in hot weather. -There's no center console, so on long trips you have to rest your arm on the door. -I've started to hear a rattle inside the dash. I've heard others have had this problem, so I'm gonna bring it in before the warranty goes out. -There also was a buzz on the door, but that went away. Great car overall though.

Very economical, fun car to drive.

by Wasabi from Lancaster, Pa | December 31, 2009

I purchased my xD during "Cash-For-Clunkers"; (Thank you tax payers. I'm making used car payments for a new car.) I selected the Wasabi Green Release Series 2. Nice package and Great color. Very peppy and easy to maneuver in traffic. Very roomy inside despite deceptive outside appearance. Better than expected standard features though a few expected ones are curiously missing. No floor mats (dealer price was $200. Are they kidding?), no aluminum wheels and no fold down arm rests. Auto dim rearview mirror is available (about $290 installed), but no heated side mirrors or daytime running lights are available. I'm getting 36 mpg at speeds between 60-70; no reason to complain there. Overall, a great purchase for the money (under$16K). I briefly looked at the Honda Fit but thought better than to become another one of Honda’s blindly loyal flock of Sheep.

Great Car

by Toyota Girl from Cincinnati, OH | October 31, 2009

I purchased the 2.0 release edition of the Scion XD over the summer, as soon as it arrived at my local dealership. It looks great, drives great and the sound system is the envy of all who ride in it! The seats are not uncomfortable, but they aren't exactly comfortable for long distance driving either. I have had one problem with the headlights but it was promptly fixed under warranty and have had no further issues since. The "special" hub caps are kind of lame (especially for a special edition car), I think I will just have to get some rims eventually to complete the package... but they do offer many upgrades so I have plenty of options. Love it!

Common Sense and Reliability

by The Car Critic from Sacramento, California | August 12, 2009

I have been a Toyota enthusiast since 1974. All my other cars prior to this have been Chevrolet. My first experience with an American Economy Car was the 1972 Chevy Vega..BUT That's another story. I had never considered buying an import, and in fact the first import I ever owned was a 1975 Toyota Corolla Deluxe Sedan. Was it something I bought? Nope, by pure chance, I won it. That's all it took. The dependability, reliability, craftsmanship, and service all came with this packet. 22 Toyota's later, I bought the SCION Xd. A basic car, but nonetheless well made. Solid in feel. Clean lines. No rattles, shakes, or overlapping seams. In one word, "Quality". The SCION Experience was wonderful. A new SCION does not come with a radio, until after your purchase. You choose your likings. The drive is smooth, a little loud on the inside, but it gives you the feeling of a sports car. Handles smoothly and brakes quite well for a Disc/Drum setup. Unlike the Drum/Drum of a Corvair. The economy is remarkable. An 11.2 Gallon Gas tank seems like it lasts forever. About 24-28 in the city, and 32-44 on the highway. The cruise control is great. The Air Conditioner is cold, the gauge(s) are in good positions and there is alot of front leg room for adults. The back seat, not really quite made for 3, but 2 will feel more relaxed. This car is great as a primary vehicle, but works Excellent as a secondary vehicle. Would I recommend it? Definitely. Take a test drive and see for yourself!