2009 smart fortwo

See Photos & Videos

Overall

RED

by lana cheryl from NASHVILLE,TN | May 13, 2014

I HAVE THE 2009 SMART FORTWO, RED, & THE CLEARCOAT WAS GOING BAD, HAD TO HAVE CAR PAINTED, I THINK THE RED CARS HAVE A PAINT CLEARCOAT DEFECT, THEY REMOVED THE PANELS & PAINT JUST THE RED PANELS, $1200 CASH. SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THE RED CARS

50mpg, more looks than a Ferrari, go-cart handling

by martylink from Annapolis, MD | September 17, 2013

Can't go wrong with this car if you want a super fun, economical, great looking, great handling, easy to drive and park anywhere, attention getter. Always a conversation piece. The 2009 Smart Four Two, Brabus Edition, Cabriolet has got to be one of the most under rated vehicles on the road today. Designed and built by Mercedes, it is extremely safe and always brings a smile and laughs wherever you go. We purchased the car from Manhattan Land-Rover, Jaguar of Bethesda, MD. Their customer service and friendliness was icing on the cake. The entire experience was nothing short of excellent.

Good little Car

by Clown from New Port Richey, Fl. | August 17, 2013

Good handling car. lacks luggace space. Rides a little rough Has a lot of safety features but still is small and if you have an accident, you are going to come out on the short end. Not many garages can work on it, must betaken to Mercedes dealer. It does have a lot of visability to see all around you. I wish I was able to talk to previous owner to know its history and maintenance record

I've downsized and have no regrets!

by Former Truck Enthusiast from Elizabethtown, KY | August 12, 2013

I've recently purchased a 2009 Smart ForTwo Passion. I have downsized after having several trucks, most recently a Bronco. I shopped around for comparable small cars, but felt this fit my needs the best. There's very adequate legroom and the seats are pretty comfortable. Though the acceleration isn't that of an average car, it gets up and goes once it's moving. I was hesitant about the auto-manual transmission as this is a big stink with some. For me, it's easy to adjust. The trick is to let off the accelerator when the gears are changing, similar to a manual. The fuel economy is fantastic compared to what I've been driving -- going from 15 and less to 35+ is a Godsend. It's nimble and scoots around town very well. On the highway, it'll hold 70 with no issue and I haven't experienced too many issues with passing semis or wind more-so than any other similarly situated vehicles. I feel it's a vehicle you'll grow used to if you haven't driven one with a similar build before. Myself, I've driven several types of vehicles and think this one is just fine for its class. My only stink is no cruise control & the fact that many local mechanics (oil change when I purchased) don't know how to get to the motor...or past the back hatch, so I had to do that part of the work. It's inexpensive, easy to park, nimble and a conversation piece. I feel very safe in it after doing research and watching crash test videos. She's my sturdy little squeaker toy and I don't regret going from "I'm bigger than you, move" to "*squeak*".

Unbelievable little car

by Smart Car Oficianado from North Georgia | June 4, 2013

This is the second one I've owned and it is a real blast to drive. Handles like a rally car and gets economy like a moped...that's right, a moped. It's build by Mercedes and acts like it. level of equipment actually follows the "C" class of Mercedes, so driving it is very safe (5* crash test). I use it as my primary car since I drive a BIG TRUCK for a living. If you want fun and economy with safety build in, the Smart for two Passion Plus is the perfect car. I take long trips with it so economy is important. As long as I keep my foot out of it and drive it sensibly, 50 MPG is normal. That's right...50 Miles per gallon at highway speeds of 65. Go much faster and the mileage drops off, but still very impressive in the mid to high 40's. The only drawback might be it only seats TWO. Enjoy the Smart For Two. It might just be "SMART" for you.

best car

by kim from boaz,al | April 22, 2013

i want to say that russell sconyers was awesome, he knew his product and was good at what he does. he asked great questions and listned , who does that anymore

Smart car is a gold mine

by Smart Car Buyer from Ft. Myers, FL | January 18, 2013

The Smart line is due for a new body style in 2014 utilizing a body made of carbon fiber and solar cell film in the roof. No idea what it will cost. 2009 Smart convertibles can now be purchased for less than $10,000 with 5000-20000 miles on them. This car is safe. It gets over 50mpg. The sticker says 41 but that was done to appease regulators after test vehicles in very hot climates with the air on full got 41 or higher. Insurance is $300-500/year full coverage. This car is a bargain and never needs maintenance.

City Car

by smartone from Boston | January 13, 2013

The smart car is an amazing little car for city living/driving/parking. It gets about 40MPG and zips in and out of traffic easily. Mine is a convertible with heated leather seats, a GPS, electric windows, etc. The smart is a bit challenging to drive on the highway on a windy day because it "sits" somewhat tall. I use it as a second car so I have access to a lower, more stable car under these circumstances. I'd recommend the smart as a perfect second vehicle. I love it!

What a fun car!

by Smart in Kansas from Kansas | October 20, 2012

We bought our Smartie with 10 miles on the odometer in 2009, and it's getting ready to turn 70,000 miles soon. We drive it everywhere and it's been one of the most reliable cars we've ever owned. I've had many people tell me all about the "other cars" I could have bought, but I tell them that I didn't want any of them. The Smart is a niche car for sure, but one that anybody could love! We've had only one mechanical issue, and that one was easily fixed with the replacement of a pump of some sort. It was an inexpensive fix. I change the oil myself every 10,000 miles and it's very easy to do. When I suggested to my wife that we look at the Fiat 500's and consider trading in the Smart, I was informed that was out of the question. So, looks like we'll be trading in the Mazda 6!

Super fun to drive.

by Smart 1 from Washington, DC | February 14, 2012

I drive a few miles to work each day. The gas economy is excellent. I have the cabrio an I like that I can drop the top when I am moving down the road. Very fun car to drive. The wind will blow it around on the highway if it is a windy day and you have to watch following a semi truck because you will be blown around by the wind coming off the truck. But for city driving it is a lot of fun. The cargo area is plenty big enough for groceries and light shopping.