2011 smart fortwo

33 city / 41 hwy

Overall

2011 Smart Car

by Glaser from Cookeville, Tennessee | September 1, 2012

I use my Fortwo as my primary transportation. I like the car and would get another when needed. My Fortwo is great on back roads and on the hwy. my 2nd car is a Hyundai Elantra, I prefer driving my Smart Car over the Hyundai

The Most Efficient Conventional Car; Smart fortwo

by Road Scholar from NJ | March 30, 2012

After 4 years since the smart's came to the US I decided to give it a try, and what better time than now with gas prices. I average mid-40's easily on my long commute to work everyday (70+ miles one way). Now that the temps are rising (it's March) I've gone as high as 50MPG's on a trip. This is according to the computer in the dash, which concurs with my math at fill-ups. Buying the required premium fuel is a no-brainer, when you see what it does for you. The engine is high-compression which requires premium gas, this is a GOOD thing, not a negative. The car drives fine on the highway. Everyone blasts it in articles, I don't see a problem. It's smooth and quiet, and does not "feel" as small as it really is. Potholes and rough roads, you feel more than a larger car of course. Mine is a loaded Passion, the glass roof is great, as are the heated leather seats. I have the cruise as part of a comfort package that I recommend. The steering and brakes are excellent. The cruise control works very well. The car is very well made, fit and finish/paint are very good. The car is very tight and solid. I feel safe driving it, and knowing that MB designed it and manufactures it. I already have 6000 miles in 2 months with no issues. Low maintenance, LOW insurance rates, 10,000 oil changes. The transmission takes getting used to, it's not bad though, as is often stated. It's a manual, that has the ability to shift itself. It is NOT an automatic, it does not have any parts or fluids of an automatic. That must be understood. Perhaps this car is not for everyone. But neither is a bulbous SUV or F150. I would buy another one. And I think you get a lot of features, especially safety ones, for the money. And, I forgot all about the back seat (or not having one), I don't even miss it :-)

Love the smart

by smart owner from Chicago | January 16, 2012

This is our second smart, our first one was a gray market European model that we were very happy with. The new one is much nicer in many respects, better AC, nicer interior, better seats. We do miss the turbo-charged Mercedes engine our old smart had, but performance with the Mitsubishi engine is acceptable. The five speed semi-automatic transmission, while still not up to US standards, is smoother shifting than the earlier model's six speed. Our old smart was totaled in an accident, but we were very pleased with the safety of the passengers, no injury whatsoever. The car did it's job superbly.

I've owned my Smart Passion for 3 months

by OC Smartie from Orange County | December 5, 2011

I purchased a 2011 ForTwo Passion Coupe. After waiting 5 months for delivery, I have been very satisfied with my purchase so far. I use this car for work and for fun. I drove the Smart ForTwo (450) in Italy in 08'. I had decided then if the ForTwo came to the U.S. I would purchase one. When they finally arrived here in California where I live the prices became over inflated and ended up waiting until now to buy. I am very glad I did. The 11' Passion has minor upgrades and my Smart has benefited from a more extensive list of options like storage console, arm rest, and cruise controls with trip computer. I often am asked if I am afraid to drive on the freeway. My previous work vehicle was a motorcycle, so my answer is always "no". The trition safety cell surrounds the occupants. The Clear roof, upscale (red) interior and two color exterior appearance impressed me and my friends. I must mention too that my friends are mostly car club members from muscle car and luxury car makes and all of them have made favorable comments on the cuteness of the car. I wanted to stop shifting since my drive was a city commute involving many stops and go's thru town. The transmission is fine once you learn how it works. Slow shifting can be a problem as has been reported in other reviews. The auto-shifter is similar to VW bugs auto-stick shifts from the past. The Smart transmission is reliable and efficient. Perfect for this application. If you have the optional tach (which I do), you can anticipate the shifts, allowing for a slight lift of the the throttle and quickening the shift of gears. Way Fun!. Good handling with no torque steer like so many front wheel drive competitors. It is true the passion has a stiff ride thanks to the European safety roll-over test. but we benefit from a solid handler with adequate anti-lock brakes for the road or hi-way.

Economical and Fun

by Dubie the Clown from La | October 10, 2011

I purchased a smart car as my 3rd vehicle. I drive 60 miles a day for work and my Ford F 150 milks the gas. My Smart car is getting approximately 40 mpg and handles the road extremely well. It is not the smoothest ride but I have all the performance I need. The Interstate riding is fine, especially knowing I will pay far less at the pump. You just gotta get one.

Awesome car, Awesome gas milage

by iheartmysmart from | October 10, 2011

I love my smart car, it's tiny on the outside, but roomy on the inside. Easy to maneuver and I love all of the attention and the gas milage that it gets!

Great car for the money

by Bubba from Aklahoma City, OK | September 27, 2011

I bought my 2011 Pure with A/C and stereo ready . Still, even at today's prices at the SMART store, there is no competition. It gets along well with others in traffic both on the highway and around town. For it's purpose as a good commuter car for two, I love it.

Commuter car

by FTyer from AZ | July 12, 2011

I have had my Smart for 3 years and nearly 30K mile and I can say I am one happy camper. My only regret is that I paid the initial price not the current market price. It runs great worst mileage I have measured is 32 MPG best is in the mid to upper 40’s. I live in Phoenix so the AC gets a serious workout. Car is comfortable as I am a big guy and haul a lot of odd stuff around. Put the passenger seat down and there is a LOT of room. Quick steering, good handling, and reasonable acceleration has made it a joy to drive in my daily short commute. Only problem so far has been a issue with the fuel tank which the dealer resolved quickly early on.

A great car for every day use!

by roseynose from Saint Louis, MO | May 14, 2011

If you want a luxury car, you buy a Mercedes, but if you need good gas mileage at a low price, then you get a Smart car. As a two seater, the car is definitely not made for soccer moms or as a touring car, but made directly for the lone commuter and/or someone who has to run errands around town. There are some good points and bad points of the Smart car. One, the automatic transmission is often jumpy and shifts at inappropriate times. I've tried the manual mode as most Smart car owners do, but I wish that I had added the tachometer option and completely ignore the up and down arrow that indicates when to shift. I believe that the computer will switch gears automatically in manual mode if you don't react in time, but I am unable to confirm it as of yet. The gas mileage is wonderful! Despite the combined EPA mpg of 36, I was able to average about 44 mpg combined, but have gone as high as 54 mpg. MPG will change daily depending on the road conditions, how much electrical equipment you use, climate control usage, whether you have an open window or not, and the driver's behavior. I can easily drive 350 to 400 miles off of the 8 gallon tank. Oil and filter can be changed every 10,000 miles or once a year with a measly 3 quarts. You can't drive aggressively in this vehicle, but you can easily pass any slow moving vehicles. These cars hate going under 60 mph. Keep in mind that people will always want to pass you while you're traveling, even if you are driving well over the speed limit (I am told the top speed is 93 mph). When driving in the wind, the car handles very well and the heavy winds can be conquered with ease. It does not go over pot holes very well, but what car can go over some of these deep pot holes (I've known several people who have broken axles on SUVs because of deep pot holes)? Other than the pot holes, the car runs smoothly on rough roads . The trunk area is large! So far, I have been able to fit two weeks worth of groceries and still had space leftover! If you decide to get the car, I highly recommend getting a cargo net since most items have a tendency to move around and fall behind the seats. You may be able to fit a large dog like a Labrador or a Golden Retriever in the trunk , but that would be pushing it, so if you prefer to put dogs in the trunk, you can fit one medium size dog or 3 small dogs comfortably. Just remember to put a blanket down on the trunk floor since the engine can be very uncomfortably warm. Since I bought the base model (Pure), I did have to purchase the car without a radio and cruise control. It does have other nice features such a central locking system, alarm system, that you were not standard, but it is. So far, I am able to live without the cruise control and if I want add it later, it can as easy easy as "plug and play" (anything you add to the car be easily installed and the computer in the car will recognize it). I couldn't live without the radio, so I went to a large conglomerate store that sold radio decks and purchased one, installed it easily by just plugging it into the provided harness, speakers, and antenna (no re-wiring needed to be done). Overall, the Smart car is easy to drive. If you are not into the extra features, but if you truly need extra features that you thought you can't live without, they can be easily upgraded when you need them.

I've been "Smart" for 2 weeks.

by Terrible Terry from Albuquerque, N.M. | May 10, 2011

I bought a 2011 Smart Pure 2 weeks ago. Just went on a 300 mile trip, and it was successful. Must say those hills seemed bigger in this car. I drive in the manual mode all the time, and do plan on adding some more horsepower to this car. It was the first time I had completed this trip on one tank of gas, and I did between 70-80 mph round trip. When you're going up a steep grade in manual mode, say around 70 mph, and you press the accelerator all the way to the floor, it downshifts itself into 4th gear. Overall, I'm happy with it; it's a great city car. I think it looks pretty cool; not for everybody. I'm just someone who doesn't like American cars. I got it "plain Jane; it only has A/C, and AM/FM radio. But I'm going to add a bunch of upgrades in the near future: intake and exhaust, larger wheels and tires, body kit, gauges, better radio, etc. Then I will really like it!!

Featured Services for this smart fortwo