2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca

18 city / 23 hwy

Overall

Be different

by Road Trip Family from Tacoma, Washington | February 5, 2013

Be prepared to have people disagree with your cars appearance. We love the styling, the interior looks and feels great and having the flexability to seat seven is great. If you don't need that extra capacity then look for the five seater, as the back is tight when all seats are up. Its a little down on power but it handles very well and stays nice and flat in the corners.

Bleck

by Hilo from Miami, FL | June 29, 2012

Terrible looks, terrible reliability, terrible performance. What IS to love? Sure subarus are good in the snow, and very safe, but at the price of your own dignity? Methinks it isn't work it.

Perfect for my family

by Elijah from Washington | June 9, 2012

This is my first Subaru, and I purchased it with 9k mi on it and it was less than a year old. It now has 75,000 and I have enjoyed this SUV for 5.5yrs of owning it. I plan to keep it for many more years. When I was shopping around for a family medium size SUV, I was looking for safe AWD vehicle, the option of 3rd row seating and best fuel economy. Subaru came on top for my needs and I am glad I made the choice to get the Tribeca. Performance of this sport/luxury SUV is very good, and handling on dry, wet and snow is awesome for its size. My original tires lasted for 64k mi and they were pretty good overall but lacked a little grip on snowy/icy roads. I replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (in original size-255/55/18) and it performs much better in wet/snow/icy conditions. Subaru Symmetrical AWD system is one of the best on the market and they have been improving it for over 20yrs now. Tribeca’s AWD system is set up to deliver power to: 55% rear/45% front, that is for a little sportier feel. It will instantly send power to any wheel/wheels that has traction. It is one of very few true AWD systems that can send power to only one wheel. (see videos on Youtube for Subaru AWD vs. others) Unlike Toyota and Honda, front based awd system that send about 10% to rear wheels and is unable to send all power to one wheel if needed. I like the 3-rd row seat and it works great for my children when needed. A little more room in the cargo area behind 3-rd row wouldn’t hurt, but I have seen the my friends New/larger Toyota Highlander and Hyundai Veracruz and they both equal or less cargo room behind 3-rd row. (they have a little more leg-room between rows, but that’s not an issue for my family) If you are planning to use the 3rd row for older kids or adults, you might want to look elsewhere until Subaru redesigns the Tribeca As far as for MPG, I have been averaging 20-21 mpg. On highway only have gotten over 25mpg when speeds are 55mph and 23mpg when going 75mph. I am very satisfied with this Subaru and hope this review helps.

not as good as I thhought

by andrew from wisconsin | March 29, 2011

Bad handeling,even worse gas milege,surprisely not as much cargo room,everyone who thinks about buying it better of with outpek or forester.

Ive got a ford Edge now

by Patrick to the edge from Endwell New York | June 21, 2010

The tribeca is a very nice SUV. it does defy style both on the interior and exterior. As with any subaru, youll not get stuck in the snow.

Decent car

by Too-tall from Wisconsin | February 10, 2010

I bought my Tribeca used a year ago with 38000 miles. Its the 3 row seating model with the navigation system and fully loaded. I live in Wisconsin where having a vehicle that gets around in the snow is a must. To this end, I was disappointed in the Tribeca. The problem lies with the tires and wheels. The low profile, wide tires make it handle poorly in snow. After sliding around in 3 inches of snow, I bought Blizzak LM-22 snow tires to compensate. It did help, but still doesn't handle anywhere near as well as a truck or our other vehicle, Merc. Milan v6 premier AWD (also with snow tires). The rear tires tend to break loose far easier than the fronts, which is good and bad, depending on your driving preference. In short, if you live in a snowy region, invest in snow tires, you'll need them. Other than in snow, the vehicle handles well. The power is a little lacking, but, it isn't exactly designed to be a sports car either. Gas mileage is around 21 mpg City/HWY combined. The ride is very comfortable and quiet. The stereo has poor sound quality, but has good display and functionality. The vehicle has had no mechanical problems yet, which is good because repairs are expensive for this vehicle. Even a basic oil change will cost you about 50% more ($33 for Tribeca vs $22 for Ford Edge). Fit and finish is also good, no rattles yet. Overall the vehicle is very reliable, comfortable, and well mannered. It could use a bit more power, which the new models have, and perhaps narrower wheels/tires for better snow handling.

review

by Joe from | November 13, 2008

I had my Tribeca for 3 years, but recently gave it up for a vehicle with more towing capacity. This was our third Subaru, but I found it to be somewhat pricey for what you get. Performance was lackluster, and I was constantly wishing I had more horsepower. It tends to hunt for an appropriate gear when accelerating, but using the sport feature helps to mitigate this problem. The navigation system worked well. Service tended to be expensive. Although the seats were infinitely adjustable, they made my back hurt on long road trips.

Transmission Problem

by Subie not me from Toronto ON | June 22, 2007

Within a few months I noticed a shutter when the transmission shifted between 2nd and 3rd. The dealer replaced the transmission and the problem returned. The dealer then replaced the computer and the shift between 2nd and 3rd continues to sputter.

Once a Subaru owner, always a Subaru owner

by Sierra Moutains we call Home from Tahoe Paradise, CA. | January 24, 2007

The B9 Tribeca is our second Subaru, our first was a Loyal wagon and that little wagon could go where my big american 4x4 couldn't after a big snow storm. We looked at all of the SUV's on the market and it didn't take us long to decide on another Subaru. Safety, reliabilty and it's performance in the snow and ice far out do those fancy suv's costing thousands more. The B9 Tribeca gives you more bang for the buck than any other SUV out on the market today. For myself I just had to get past the looks of the head light design... they were different, but the wife loved them, the interior is stylish and user friendly. Next time you find yourself in a mountain community were it can snow up to forty feet a year, just look around and see what the local folks are driving...Subaru's! Does that answer your question?

The most reliable SUV I have ever owned

by JR from SC | December 9, 2006

I have owned several different SUV'S ranging from domestics to foreign made but the Tribeca is the best one in areas of comfort, safety and reliability that I have ever owned. I have only taken it back to the dealership for regular maintenance. I have owned it now for 14 month and am very pleased and will purchase another one when it's time.