2006 Subaru Baja

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great Little Vehicle

by Ghosting from NE Oregon | May 10, 2014

I recently bought a 2003 5-speed with 74k miles. I had looked into the Baja when they came out, but with a large family, a vehicle that only seats four didn't make sense. Now with two kids through college, it was a logical choice. I looked at the Turbo as well, but ultimately decided I didn't need the extra power, and also read that those motors were less reliable. It is a rock solid vehicle that is zippy and grippy to drive. It allows you to haul small loads of garbage and recycling without having to worry about trashing the interior of your vehicle (as has happened in our old minivan). Since I bought this vehicle, I have had dozens of people ask me about it, and claim that they wish they could have one. It seems odd, as the reviews of the Baja when it came out panned it, and sales weren't great. This vehicle also holds its value. They regularly sell for over bluebook, and I imagine that trend will continue as they become more and more rare.

almost perfect

by Highlands Hovel from Florida and West Virginia | January 10, 2014

This car was bought as an errand runner and to go up the mountain road to the cabin in the snow. The driver's and passenger's seats are comfortable for long periods once you get in, getting in is tight for tall or heavy folks. The more aggressive may look for a turbo, but for my driving style the standard model is more than adequate for efficient driving. I tow a 54 inch X 96 inch aluminum trailer with ATV on it and the Baja pulls it just fine. I ordered an ARE topper for the bed so we can take stores and baggage on road trips as the folded down back seat belongs to the dog. Frankly this vehicle is as close to perfect for my needs as anything else out there.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

baja

by stubby from rock springs wy | May 26, 2013

this is the second one we have had she hit a bridge with the last one totaled it bought this one 2 months later and its just as good as the last one you can haul 4 people and a small amount of cargo nothing large or heavy remember to change timeing belt and radiator /water pump/t stat every 100,000 miles and it will go 300k or more the early ones had head gasket problems if you can see if it has been done if not have it done tune ups at 100k and if your year has the fuel filter under the hood change it twice a year

06 Subaru Baja

by fitzgeoff from Baton Rouge | July 16, 2012

This car is close to perfect. The open bed means you can do most the work that any pick-up can do but it hugely more comfortable whether it's commuter driving around town or cross country. It's also amazing where the AWD can get you without getting all scratched out like the big-beast pickup trucks would get. Also, highway is 28 mpg. My combined has been around 25mpg. Other than a limited towing capacity, a Subaru Baja is the best all round, do-anything truck there is. If you could have only one vehicle, this would be it. It is a 4door sedan, a truck, an all wheel drive go anywhere utility vehicle and it is one of the most reliable vehicles made, perhaps the most reliable vehicle made.

Reliable, Stylish and Safe

by Mssally from Kilgore, TX | January 3, 2012

All the above. It's a true Cruck. Good seating in car type cab for four and great little bed for hauling potting soil, dog food, etc. Bring Back the Baja!

How did these things not sell better?

by SubiConvert from St. Louis, MO | November 30, 2011

I've had my Baja for a few months now, and have fallen in love. I rarely haul anything too big, and I don't carry drywall or plywood, so the 44"x41" bed is a good fit for most of my hauling, and with the bed extender, I can carry most anything I need. I have the turbo version, so the performance is exceptional. It handles better than anything with over 9" of ground clearance should.

Very Nice!

by Vehicle to hold my style of driving :) from Lowman, NY | November 29, 2011

I love my Baja!!! This car handles so smooth, corners real nice - would recommend to anyone. The only complaint I have is that Subaru quit making these in 2006. I love this car!!!

Best for snowy roads

by Mountain Racer from WNC | August 8, 2011

I LOVE THIS 06 TURBO and would own no other. When my neighbors are snowed in, waiting for the roads to clear, I have freedom to explore the beautiful snowy countryside. This car/truck hugs the road like a sports car. Well...to me it is a sports car, it handles these mtn curves beautifully, with plenty of power to pass slow pokes on the road. I also love not having a huge gas bill like with a truck. Another big bonus is being able to haul things for the garden, lumber and other large items that would dirty up the interior or wouldn't fit in a regular car. I have had no problems with this car, I only have to do regular maintenance.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2006 Subaru Baja Sport

by Segundo from SW PA | August 2, 2011

I love this vehicle. My other vehicle was eating me alive on fuel for my daily commute so I was looking for something better. I selected the Baja because of the styling and the increased fuel economy and have not been sorry. It is a shame that Subaru decided to stop production on this vehicle since most of the people who see it are interested in it as well. Just wish the roof was a tad taller so I would not have to bend like a pretzel to enter.

So Far, So Good

by EADavis from Crawfordville, FL | May 7, 2011

I bought the vehicle used with 58K miles, so far, I'm pleased especially with the 27 mpg. The comfort is ok, a little tight for an older person, but easy to get in and out of. Performance suitable for me, but you will not win a race. Does not have great excelleration. Exterior is really cute, I get a lot of comments. Interior is a little tight for me and I'm 5"1" and the cup holders are a little odd for comfort. I do feel I got a good deal for the money. The reliability has been great. I've hauled a number of things now and that has been great unloading at waist high level and you can a suprising amount of "stuff" in the bed.

Featured Services for this Subaru Baja