1998 Subaru Forester

1998 Subaru Forester

Available in 3 styles:  Forester shown

21 city / 29.4 hwy

Overall

My first car, and still going strong four years.

by Treue from Waverly, PA | June 23, 2014

I bought this car for $4500 four years ago, and it was the best investment I ever made. This car has saved my life in multiple scenarios, whether they be driving through some of the worst winter conditions ever after being stuck in a flash winter storm, or truckers trying to run me off the road for one reason or another. The handling on this car is so advanced for its age. I have grown so attached to my Forester that I want to give it to my children when I have them. I got this car around the same time I started dating my girlfriend, and it has safely got her to and from anywhere we have ever needed to go; for this I consider the car invaluable. I would recommend that anyone that is considering getting this car for the safety factor picks it up immediately. I deducted a star in Interior for the lack of leg room for passengers, and a star on Exterior Styling for the fact that there are really no parts made for this year such as grill guards, tail light guards, or much else for that matter. It is very hard to find aftermarket parts that fit the car. Other than this, the car has been perfect, and has only just recently been showing signs of age. Every car gets old, but this one aged finer than any car I have driven.

Bought the Forester for my wife.

by Sarge from Western N.C. | July 29, 2013

My wife needed a newer car after researching the AWD Forester I knew this was to car for her. In 1967 I bought a Volvo 145 over the years we have had 11 Volvos. So it was time for a change. The Styling was a big plus, The ratings reflect the only two drawbacks. This is my wife's car, She is 5'1", I am 6"2". I fit in it fine but I drive a RAM Van 2500 Conversion Van. And there is quite a difference in comfort. The Performance is fine for a small engine. Again I have the 360 ci in my van. All in all it's a great car and she loves it. No more Volvos for her.

Great Car

by Forrester Love from baltimore, md | January 12, 2012

I bought this car used but it has been very reliable and fun to drive. It has lot of head room and cargo room. The back seat leg room is average, but the seats are comfortable. It has a lot of pep for a 4 cylinder car, and handles great in poor weather.

Expensive repairs needed

by BoldDreamer from Rochester, NY | December 5, 2011

Head gasket replacement mandatory. Arcing ignition coil fixed. Gas tank and fuel lines replaced. Rear wheel bearings replaced several times. CV boots and axles replaced. Rear window defroster not working. No leg room for back seat passengers. AWD great going up icy hills. Side mirror defrosters and heat seaters worth the expense. Gas mileage only fair. Next car will be hybrid.

Awesome All-around, Safe and Fun

by Pinchpenny Off-roading Family Man from South Dakota | December 4, 2010

'98 Forester L: still love it (Dec '10). It's a beautiful thing. So fun, safe, good w gas, reliable.

Extremely reliable, roomy, and stylish

by Subaru Driver For Life from New England | June 21, 2009

I have owned many Subaru models of different years and models, but my 98 Forrester has be my favorite. There is a ton of room for my dog and I. All-wheel drive is essential where I live and the car's wide tire base asserts control over any conditions. The vehicle is great on gas which was a Godsend when prices were sky high. Ask anyone you know who has a Forrester from around this year, and they'll all tell you the same thing: "I LOVE IT!"

lots of miles --- reliable

by whirlwind from blue ridge mountains, Virginia | July 31, 2008

This vehicle now has 231,000 miles on it and is still going strong. It has lived in the high deserts of the southwest and in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia and has been driven from Baja to Quebec and a lot of other places in between. Upkeep has been minimal. I've had the timing belt replaced twice, regular oil changes, new tires, cv joints... not that much considering all the miles it has carried me without a problem! Am about to get another, newer one. There are known issues with the 2.5 liter engine --head gasket problems, but so far it has been OK. (added some Barr's a while ago).

Pretty Sturdy

by Jake in Issaquah from Issaquah, WA | March 10, 2008

This Forester will be 10 years old next July and it is approaching 200,000 miles. It blew a head gasket at about 93,00--pretty early for something like that--but other than that, routine maintenance has kept it going pretty well. It's at the point where I had to put in a new clutch about 6 months ago and the heater coil and water pump just had to be replaced but it has been reliable and sturdy.

Very reliable car

by German Car Enthusiast from Los Angeles, CA | January 22, 2007

Never had a problem until a sharp metal debri punctured the radiator causing the engine to overheat and crack the engine block. Other than the one incident, this vehicle requires minimal maintenance and repair aside from oil changes and tune-up. Low cost to operate and maintain. Great for hauling and trips to Home Depot. Preppy engine and good gas mileage for an AWD vehicle. Better than a gas guzzling SUV and gets the job done.

Ugly but awesome

by Bob from Chicago, IL | May 25, 2006

I have to admit that the Subaru Forester is an ugly vehicle. BUT, it gets the job done. I took a chance and bought this car in its first year. The payoff has been great. 142K miles later, I have had minimal problems and nothing but overall satisfaction from its ability to take a pounding and keep on moving. Even as a wedding DJ, I can fit more gear in my car than most guys can in their small SUVs. I even bought my wife a 2002 Forester and convinced my buddy (and his dad) to get a Outback. Everyone has been thrilled. Ugly but awesome. U R a Bus when you drive a Sub a r U.

Featured Services for this Subaru Forester