1999 Subaru Forester

21 city / 27 hwy

Overall

Long time owner

by K. from Portland, OR | April 26, 2014

I purchased my 1999 Forester new in late August 1999. It was very reliable the first 100 thousand miles but since then I have had to replace 2 axels and the transmission (automatic) It has never leaked oil. I take the car for regular "check-ups" with my Subaru mechanic and have the oil changed about every 4000 miles. I have driven it 165 thousand miles and am about to get new front brakes - it will be great not to hear them squeal when the weather warms up. Other than the above repairs, the large turning radius and the lack of cup holders, I have enjoyed driving my red subie. There is plenty of cargo room and I haven't worried about taking it on some back country roads. I just replaced it with a 2015 Subaru Forester Limited and will give the older car to my daughter.

Accessible car

by SoberCitizen from Prince Edward Island | February 4, 2014

In 2003 we bought our second hand 1999 Subaru on the recommendation of a Red Seal mechanic who also demonstrated its all wheel drive capabilities on inclines of rutted ice and slush. It had to be reliable, safe, be easy for the nurses to assist a wheelchair patient into and out of the front seat and have room for the wheelchair, nurse and other medical gear. (The previous 4wd we had proved difficult for the patients and nurses to maneuver into and out of). The vehicle has given us no problems. We are thoroughly amazed that we have not had to replace any part of the exhaust system (unlike previous vehicles' histories!) or anything under the hood other than filters and fluids.

AK is Subaru Country

by AK is Subaru Country from Anchorage, AK | February 23, 2013

I had a great experience working with the internet sales and used car sales teams at Continental Subaru. Ricki, my sales person, worked very diligently to make sure I was the first person to view (and subsequential buy) this vehicle. I would highly recommend you go see Ricki. The Subura is an older model but she runs great. I replaced a few things that are common with age (dash board lights and center console lights, the battery, and repaired the clock). I also had a remote start and new stereo system installed in the vehicle and both work great. This will be a great first car for my niece.

239K and going

by SuBarific Car from Holland MI | January 26, 2013

Never heard of a Forrester when I bought this rig. 70k on it and a blown head gasket -which the dealer repaired for free- and I am still driving it. No major work on this car. Yes it drips oil...All 99's do. Yes, the motor is clanky but dependable. I would drive it CA tomorrow (slowly) but it would get me there. I am buying a newer one for my daughter.

Before you buy 1999 FORRESTER

by 1999 Subaru Forrester - MUST DO BEFORE BUYING from Carmel Valley | October 18, 2012

People selling cars can be great people. YOU MUST Have a mechanic check out ANY used care. I went to this website, saw the 1999 Subaru in Carmel Valley with 167,000 miles. I drove 200 miles one way after owner said in great condition. He did a video tour. Looked great. He said "okay to have engine checked out". So I paid $100 to 3rd party mechanic...thank goodness! Found out "COMMON" for Subarus over100K to need new gaskets. Valves. etc. The owner of the car said car was fine. SO WRONG. Car needed $2500 - $4000 in engine work. BUYER BE AWARE. Nice people should know more about their engines before they sell them. Subarus great, but used...Have a mechanic check.

Tough, loving and reliable, like a family pet

by Adrenalinesaint from Lower, OH | December 6, 2011

Long lasting and practical. Really tough to beat on a tight budget. Probably the highest space verse practicality (mpg, interior room, and capible AWD) on the market. A vehicle that is a jack of all trades but master of none. Repair cost can be high and is the only downfall I can find with this vehicle.

1999 Subaru Forester-manual transmission

by SubaruOwner from Lansing MI | October 24, 2011

Had 100k miles when we bought it 3 months ago, performing flawlessly since then. I had forgotten how much I like a manual transmission. A worthy substitute for our 2002 Forester that was totalled. Enough interior room for the three 6-footers of our family and lots of cargo space.

99 Subaru Just as safe as they say

by Just me from Redmond WA | February 13, 2011

I bought my 1999 Subaru Forester in September 1998 - brand new off the lot. I was the only owner. I had 187K on the car all my miles - combination of highway and city. The car averaged 25MPH up to the end. The end for this car was February 10, 2011 - when my car was rear-ended by a semi-tractor trailer rig on I405 - jack-knifing big rig that couldn't stop. I have to say that while I don't feel well and that I'm injured from the accident - this Forester probably saved me from much more serious injuries. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this brand this car again. My 99 Forester is totaled, otherwise I would still be driving it. Okay, this car is a little loud on the highway. I did have the valves replaced around 89K - I also did the free oil changes every 3K - and followed the major maintenance that is recommended by Subaru. I had the -S- model heated seats, moon roof, and we did make some changes to the sound system with the way that audio changes - but all in all everything was original. This is a great little SUV and for the price and reliability I wouldn't hesitate if this your budget - I know it's hard to consider a car this old and this price point - but they are reliable - and to be honest? I'm truly going to miss my trusty 'lil Red. RIP and thanks for saving my life.

The best car Ive ever owned

by Subaru Junkie from Liberty, NY | March 4, 2010

I own 3 Subarus A forester, an imprezza wagon and an imprezza sedan. All 1999. Change the timing belt & water pump at every 100k and they will go forever. My forester is a rock. Reliable, it has never let me down! Engine gets a little nosier as it ages but doesnt affect anything. I hate to give it up but now I need a Van. I wish Subaru would make a full sized Van !!!!

Ugly, slow and sounds like a thrashing machine.

by JJ123 from Berkshire Hills | November 28, 2008

This car has ended up costing far too much so I'm NOT happy anymore. The gas fill pipe rusted out, this caused the engine light to come on. It cost $583.70 to replace! Next the head gasket blew, this cost $1400. Subaru parts are out of this world. Headlight, my fault $423.00 The car was good up to around 70k but down hill after this. My other car is an Audi A4, it has 136,000 miles and a MUCH better car.

Featured Services for this Subaru Forester