2001 Subaru Forester

Available in 2 styles:  2001 Subaru Forester 4dr AWD shown

21 city / 28 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Excellent utility; too many problems though.

by Tom S. from California | June 23, 2014

We had over a decade of memorable family adventures in this car, and it never let us down in snow, desert off-roading, towing, and other moderately tough conditions. Great foul weather car too. It really gets the job done. But it also had what seems like too many issues: frequent catalytic converter problems, rear wheel bearing failures, and the final coup de grace was the dreaded head gasket failure. RIP 2001 Subaru. I wish I could bring myself to buy another one, but all the mechanical issues gives me cold feet.

Best Car Ever

by Multi Tasking Mom from Pocono Pennsyviana | January 16, 2014

I purchased this car used with low milage when it was two years old from dealership as a leased return. I have owned the car for thirteen years, putting 200,000 miles on it. My children have grown up in the car and it has been nothing but good to me. It has had little to know problems other that regular maintenance. Unfortunately the body has deteriorated around the rear wheel wells from the salt used here on the PA roadways. Now that the car is showing its age we are planning to retire it since the cost of maintenance is out weighing the value of the car. I am just heartbroken about the decision, and since it is paid for I did persuade my husband to garage it for winter days. That is how much I hate to let it go. The only complaint I can say is that there isn't enough room in the interior if you have a growing family. To anyone who is considering a Subaru Forester, don't hesitate and buy it!

Should have kept it

by 3rd Subaru from DC | November 26, 2013

I test drove this car with 142,000 miles on it. It was a dealer sale and they had just changed out the head gaskets and a rear axle bearing. It looked new inside and out and they only wanted $4500 for it. I banged around in it for several years until the mileage was 189,000. My kid needed a car so I gave it to him. It still looked like new inside and out. I informed him that it would need a timing belt at 220,000 miles. Several years later I asked him about the mileage and he told me it was 232,000 miles. I told him to take it to the dealer and I would pay to have the timing belt changed. Several years passed and he didn't do it. One day he called me and told me the car had stopped running. The first thing I asked him was how many miles are on it. His response was 259,000 miles. He got a mechanic to look at it and sure enough the timing belt broke. The mechanic gave him $500 for it and he was without a car for awhile. These cars are very reliable although the head gaskets leaking were a problem in certain model years.

Great Car, Great Experience!

by Silver from San Luis Obispo, CA | October 10, 2013

I bought this car having known that it was previously used by one owner who had owned it for 12 years, so I was expecting something with high mileage. To my pleasant surprise, it only had 60K miles on it and still runs great! Could be brand new, you'd never know unless someone told you it was used. Great experience with the dealership in making this vehicle mine. Was worth the trip out of town and well worth my money. I would recommend shopping around for the perfect Subaru because it is worth it 100%!

Great car for the $

by haba from Stafford Springs, CT | February 10, 2013

Great car for the money! Bought as my daughter's 1st car, due to the all wheel drive feature. So far it's been great on the snowy roads in northern CT.

I love mine!

by Nora Bryant from Cape Elizabeth, ME | March 13, 2012

I love my subaru forester! It's great off road and in snow and just on the pavement! It has a six disc cd player and heated seats and mirrors. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

Great car for young drivers!

by Safety minded from Fort Worth, TX | March 5, 2012

Subarus combine AWD with all of today's modern safety features like air bags, ABS and excellent crash testing to make this the safest used car for the money by far! Forester, in particular, adds the benefit of being classified an SUV (cute ute) and that gives it a low insurance risk rating. That's very important if you're insuring a young driver!

Pitfalls

by Educated Consumer from Ticonderoga, NY | January 9, 2012

Hello, Be warned that the 2.5 liter Subaru 4 cyl. engine was derived from the solid 2.2 liter engine. There are points where the gaskets don't have thick enough purchase due to the removal of metal necessitated by increasing the engine's displacement. The engine leaked coolant. That's inexcusable. The panderous car market always wants more. The drive train remains quite sound otherwise. The interior is comfortable and the car rides well. Check for leaks before you buy.

My Forester is a True, Reliable Friend

by OTL Himself from Collinsville, VA | November 29, 2011

I bought my '01 Forester in 2005, and it had 59,000 miles on it. Six years later, it's approaching 172,000 miles and has given me and my family outstanding service. I'm the type of driver who tends to run cars through the wringer, and this one runs as strong as it did when I bought it. It doesn't burn a drop of oil, and hasn't lost any fuel mileage. The only breakdown I ever experienced was due to the clutch failing, and the clutch that had failed was an aftermarket clutch I'd had installed two years prior, after the original clutch had gone for about 130,000 miles. During college, I commuted 40 minutes one-way over winding mountain roads for 2 years. Afterward, I commuted over an hour to work each day for seven months. NOT ONCE did this car let up on me during all of that. I've taken it on countless trips out of town for concerts, camping trips, and sporting events, and it NEVER fails to get the job done. Over the years, my "Silver Tank," as I call it, has become considered a longtime, trusted, valued friend to me.

most reliable car ive owned

by off rotar from | July 17, 2011

its great for handling off road terrain, reliable as ever. low maintenance & great on gas. whats not 2 love?

Featured Services for this Subaru Forester