2002 Subaru Forester

21 city / 27 hwy

Overall

What a SUV

by Epi117 from Portland, Oregon | July 19, 2014

We purchased a used 2002 Forester with 135k miles, had a pre-inspection done all the service records were available, timing belt and seals had been done. Amazing SUV, she runs great, lots room for stuff, love the moonroof and all leather interior of the S model. Cant wait till winter, this is our first AWD and our first Subaru and I'm happy. Do you home and make sure timing belt and seals have been done and you will be happy.

Test drove this car earlier (July 09, 2014)

by Test drove this car earlier (July 09, 2014) from | July 9, 2014

So, I test drove the car on this Ad. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON. Took it to the mechanic to have it checked out and found out that I have to change the catalytic converter and the front exhaust pipe and all the gaskets. Total repair cost would be $1200. The light for when a door is open is always too, even if all doors are closed (minor issue). Everything works except for that. Exterior and interior looks good. I didn't check all the instruments but most of them works. Engine worked fine and acceleration was good. Steering was good and so was the suspension, a little bumpy but not so bad and it didn't creek or make any suspicious noises. overall, it's a great car if everything is working.

A true die-hard!

by Drivin' my life away from Fairfield, PA | March 4, 2014

Am finally getting ready to put my 2002 Whoop-Dee-Doo to rest. Bought it new and it's at 286,700+ miles now. Clutch is slipping (original clutch, mind you), and the seals around the head gasket have just begun to leak. Those two issues plus a couple of little things (like the clock and CD player quitting over the past few months) finally made me decide to move forward. But it has been an extremely reliable car for a long time and a lot of miles. And by the way, you can turn that annoying honk of a beep off! Loved it so much that I just bought a 2010 Forester 2.5 X Premium with 44K miles on it. May it serve me as well! Some of the features have been improved upon (like the cupholders and the beep), but there are also a few things I miss from my old Whoop-Dee ...

Maintenance costs are too high

by SRJ from Redwood City, CA | July 31, 2013

I've had my 2002 subaru forester since it was brand new. My unhappiness with this vehicle is because of the maintenance costs and the unreliability of the vehicle. I have spent more money maintaining this vehicle than any other I've owned. 168,00 miles and I'm on my 3rd clutch, with the current one showing signs it needs replacing. There is always some wheel or bearing issue. The original catalytic converter needed replacing. The CV joints have been replaced 3 times. I've always maintained the vehicle as recommended on time, yet had to do an engine rebuild and head gasket at around 120K. In addition, the check engine light has been ON about 80% of the life of the car. As soon as I repair what the computer says needs repairing, the check engine light comes back on. Very frustrating. Not a car that I'd recommend.

SUBARUS RULE

by LUV MY SUBIE from BOTHELL, WA | January 16, 2012

THIS IS MY 3RD SUBARU...2ND FORESTER. THESE ARE GREAT CARS THAT KEEP ON GOING NO MATTER WHAT. WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE WHO WANTS A DEPENDABLE ALL WHEEL DRIVE CAR THAT LASTS

great car

by Fishermen from Bloomsburg Pa. | January 10, 2012

love the car subaru is very well built very reliable i will buy another subaru in the future the maintance on the car is min and the all wheel drive is great it has a lotof room and the roof rack is great to hull the kayak

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Customer Service deserves 2 thumb up!

by Artsy fartsy travellin kid from kansas City, MO | August 18, 2011

While a few kinks had been overlooked, the car salesmen ensured my satisfaction by guaranteeing me that he would do everything to replace anything that wasn't working properly. A job well done to both salemen and his mechanic.

Best Car I have owned

by Love my Buru from New Jersey | May 24, 2011

I have had Hondas, Fords, Nissans, Mazdas, and now a Subaru Forester. I have had this car for a year now, I have the S model, with the winter package, 5 speed manual transmission. I love how the car moves around corners while downshifting. Ride is smooth and quiet. I like driving it more then my wifes 2007 Forester...The manual responds better then her automatic. The only cons are the cup holders are in a poor spot and the back seat is a little snug when you put a car seat in. Besides for that, I love this car!

exactly what i wanted

by joey from mount pleasant ,sc | May 8, 2011

the stick is smooth as can be and quiet, i have to look at the gauge to remember to change gears. tons of hidden spots for glasses and cellphones and such. drives well on the highway with little correction. at 130,000 miles it still feels new. plenty of room for kids and dog, and my drums.

Great Utility Car

by Outdoor Driver from Pacific Northwest | December 25, 2010

I own a 2002 Forester S and am quite satisfied with it. The difference between a L and S are worth saving for the S. It has the best sun roof I have ever seen in a car, heated leather seats, heated mirrors, heated windshield wipers, a 6 CD player/radio that sounds quite good. The car has been quite reliable, and drives great. The view from the drivers seat is wide, helping with safety. The car handles great in all conditions, especially snow. It looks a little boxy, which turns some people off, but performs well. I don't want to sound negative, but buyers want to know: The biggest knock on the older Subarus are the seals. Expect to change some of the gaskets before 200,000 miles. The head gasket being most expensive. I have yet to do this on mine, but have recently done the valve gasket and oil seals. You can delay this issue by changing the oil and coolant on time, every time, using oil treatment, or synthetic oil. The good news though is once you are over this bump the car will likely last 300,000 miles before something else major goes wrong. Outside of the above, I've had only a spatter of tiny issues, such as headlight bulbs, wiper blades, or dash bulbs, that are common and easy to fix. - Overall, this is just a great car.