2005 Subaru Forester

Available in 4 styles:  2005 Subaru Forester 4dr AWD shown

Overall

So far, so good

by HereinNJ from Budd Lake, NJ | March 23, 2014

I've only had this car a few weeks, but so far I like it. My only negative is that it's too low, and that's just me. I have been driving either mini vans or larger SUVs for so long, I'm used to riding up higher & having a better view of everything; especially with the high piles of snow we still have here. Going from an 8 cyl. Ford Explorer (2 of them) to this 4 cyl. smaller car, I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised at the power, especially for an automatic. The smaller cars I used to drive were 5 speeds. It has a decent amount of interior storage compartments also. I did buy a narrow pillow to put between the 2 front seats because I'm used to having a higher console to rest my elbow on, which this doesn't have.

Favorite Car, Ever

by Alex from Brooklyn, NY | November 15, 2013

In my lifetime, I've own 5 different cars. This is, by far, my favorite. We bought our '05 Forester in early 2011 with 76,000 miles and it's been a dream. It's extremely roomy inside and very comfortable. It has tons of cargo space for such a small SUV. It preforms very well, especially with our manual transmission and gets pretty good mileage at around 28mpg on the highway. It's also be extremely reliable with just a few relatively minor wear-and-tear repairs. This is the ultimate multi-use vehicle as it balances just the right size and fuel efficiency with interior space and comfort. I'm actually disappointed the newer model Foresters are bigger. You can't beat this generation of the Forester.

Disappointed

by Jersey Girl from Brick, NJ | September 18, 2012

We bought our 2005 Subaru Forester LL Bean edition brand new. We changed the oil every 4000 miles and had all necessary maintenance performed as required. The car is now 7 years old and has less than 140,000 miles and with no warning what so ever the car just died on the road. The mechanic diagnosed it as a blown motor. It siezed up and he said he has never run across anything like it. I have spoken to Subaru and due to it being out of warrenty there is nothing they can do for us. Our last 4 vehicles were Hondas and got well over 250,000 miles on each of them with no major problems. We currently have a 1997 Honda Odessey Van with 260,000 miles on it. If you are looking for a reliable vehicle that you will have for a long time Subaru is not the vehicle to buy.

it's amazing

by justbloom from Santa Rosa, CA | October 12, 2011

i was forced to buy another car after my much older, 96 jeep cherokee was totaled. I needed a 4X4 because of where I live, but I was concerned about gas mileage. I settled on a Subaru Forester, which I bought in June. It is an 05, and it had 80k miles on it. It has given me no trouble and is relatively comfortable. The city gas mileage is 23 and I have not taken a trip with it yet, so I don't know what it will get, but I have heard the upper 20's. I am VERY happy with it in every way. Being a wagon, it has plenty of storage, and there is a cover for the back, so I don't have to let everyone know what I have. It has all power controls, plus a good CD player. All in all, I am perfectly satisfied, and I highly recommend it!

XT Ecstacy

by XT Fan from York PA | May 1, 2011

I have a 2005 Forester XT Premium that is absolutely amazing in all respects. It certainly helps, in the performance aspect, that the engine is none other than the WRX XTI engine, though with a smaller intercooler, the WRX turbocharger, a less aggressive exhaust, and milder ECU programming. Nonetheless, it turns 0-60 mph in well under 6 seconds, and will never force you to struggle to merge into fast traffic on the interstate on-ramp. It is comforting to know the power is there--in abundance--if needed. Fuel economy for the turbo models suffers a little from the normally aspirated versions, though I can still squeeze nearly 30 mpg on the interstate if I resist the temptation to have a little fun. The seating is supportive and roomy, the visibility second to none in all directions, the interior well-appointed, and the sound system absolutely amazing. In terms of reliability, I've had zero issues, and maintenance has been limited to normal wear items. The National Institute of Highway Safety (or whatever they're called these days) has crash-tested the Forester and found this vehicle to be very safe. I might add that it is the ONLY SUV that does not require a roll-over safety warning label on the visors, because it is so resistant to such things (under normal road conditions, of course). In summary, I do not hesitate to recommend any model of the Forester to anyone who is looking for a sporty, all-wheel drive, compact SUV.

Small but tough

by subaru owner from Fort Myers, FL | February 25, 2011

I traded a noisy but nice 2006 Corolla for a super low mileage 2005 Subaru Forester. Had the money for a new one but did not like the smaller windows and larger size of the new model, which still only holds 4 people in comfort. The Forester has the best visibility of any car I've owned with upright windshield and giant rear window. Guess I will not need a $500 rear TV to back out of the supermarket lot! Car is perfect height for getting in and out of. Averages 25 mpg which means the AWD is free compared to newer mini SUVs with 2WD. Finish of the car is impeccable and the 2.5 liter engine has plenty of ooomph when you need it. With seats down you can carry almost any HDTV Wal-Mart sells.

Our Second '05 Forester

by Caritb from Potomac Falls, VA | February 22, 2011

My daughter totaled our first '05 Forester, which was bought new. She rear-ended a commercial van, but didn't get a scratch herself. In a less well-constructed car, she could have been severely injured. So I bought another '05 Forester. These cars retain their value! I put a few extra bucks into the "new" one to get one with lower mileage. It drives just like the first one - sure-footed, all-wheel drive handling, plenty of power to get out of a bad situation, but not too much for a young driver to get into one. Plenty of cargo space. Our first Forester never had a problem, and I don't expect any with this one. It's a great car!

Subaru, makes snow cry.

by JohnPA2006 from Milford PA | May 5, 2010

My wife and I bought a used 2004 Subaru Forester XS with 38k miles on it. Used to have a 2 door Honda Civic, but with a baby on the way we needed a bigger car and needed to be 4 door. We also moved from Central NJ to the norther "snow belt" of Pike County Pennsylvania. We get snow everytime their is any chance for it because were at a higher elevation. I didnt realize when they tout the commercials saying "symmetrical AWD" and "Boxer engines" I didnt know what any of that meant. Well to sum it up, it means you have a car/suv that gets pretty good MPG, Gets 5 star crash test ratings all around (side and frontal), you get great handling without feeling like your going to roll the vehicle over. and you get REAL awd unlike all the others out there. Full power, to all wheels, all the time. Not the "AWD 60front/40rear" jokes that these other SUV"s have. I look for reasons to take this car out in the snow because its such a pleasure to drive in bad weather. And in good weather its just as good too. We have been able to fill it up with cargo, even with long shopping trips, AND still have the kids car seat still in the back and still have room. The Forester is a great all around car, you dont have to live in the snowy places or even be an off-roader type to own one. Its just a great all around car, that gets you wherever you need to go, IN ANY WEATHER. The AWD makes it feel like its slow, but when you look at the speedometer you realize your going 65mph. It drives like its on rails and is very stable at high speeds.

4 Years Later...

by Tomato1 from Buffalo, NY | March 9, 2009

After four years and 55000 miles, this car is about to leave my fleet. This has been a really good car overall. Maintenance costs have been practically nil, except for a new set of tires and the recommended services. There has been once recurring problem with faulty iginition coils, I'm on my third one! With one covered under the factory warranty, I'm only out $250 or so on mechanical repairs. It also seems to be a problem with these vehicles (according to CarTalk and the dealer) that spiders have a habit of weaving webs in the gas tank vent causing fuel fill problems. Easily fixed, though. This car has received more than an average amount of use off-road and in crazy weather conditions and has held up well. I managed to get stuck in a deep, icy rut on the side of the road once but in fairness I was really pushing my luck with that parking space. This car has performed as well as expected. This car has been improved greatly in the 2009 model, with reduced interior noise, four wheel disc brakes all the way around, and (thank goodness) a bigger fuel tank. The 2009 had better have a better windshield defroster, too. Every car is going to have its quirks, so I reaffirm my thumbs up and look forward to my shiny new 2009.

wouldn't drive anything else!

by coskibum from Edwards, Co | January 15, 2009

I live up in the mountains in colorado and that is a true test of a car's durability. The temperatures range from -20 F to 98 F where I live. Most of the people in my neighborhood drive a subaru because they last the longest, preform the best in the snow/rain/ice with the full time AWD, and are very reliable cars. They hold their value very well and are well built both inside and out. Every winter I use my forrester to tow at least two people out of snow banks on the side of the road. Living up here is my dream come true, but when it comes to a vehicle I need something I know will start and that will run for years under these harsh conditions. The sheer number of Subarus in the rocky mountains is a testament to how great these cars really are!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)