2006 Subaru Forester

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Love my Forester!

by Subaru Lover! from Silver Spring, MD | April 8, 2013

I had previously owned a 1998 Outback with 113,000 miles on it. I was planning to take it to at least 200,000 but someone ran a stop sign and ended my wonderful Outback's life. With the paltry insurance payment I wasn't able to get an Outback but someone suggested I look at the Forester. I thought it would be too small, but it's very roomy! It has a lot of pep, and since it's the LL Bean edition it has all the bells and whistles. I expect that I'll have as good an experience with longevity as I had in my Outback and I'm very satisfied.

Great Car - Hooray for CarTalk

by Trina from East Hampton, NY | January 17, 2010

I actually bought my Subaru BECAUSE of something I remembered from an old Cartalk radio show. The problem had to do with someone wanting to get a car that handled well in bad weather and was easy to get into and out of, for an elderly person with a hip replacement -- and for her lifting groeries in and out. I tucked that info away and decided, after 2 years of my beloved Toyota Camry sliding off the snowy back roads where I lived, that the Subaru might be a good change. After a lifetime of Toyotas (this was my 4th in 30-something years) I test drove and bought the Forrester and fell in love. Finally, I could see over my shoulder in all directions, because of the windows. It held well in ice and snow and rain. It was a cinch to put packages in the back and lift them out, without having to bend deep into a trunk. And still looks brand new, after 4 years ... I see the new Forresters look like true SUVs (mine looks like a "baby" SUV next to all the huge truck-like SUVs) so I don't know what I'll do, if I ever have to replace it...but with only 35,000 miles on it (driving it every day, mostly locally), I hope it lasts FOREVER.

It will do anything

by Auenv96 from Orlando, FL | May 4, 2009

Ive had my forester about 3 years. The only problem Ive had is with the gas door other than that the car has been flawless. Believe me when I say it will do anything. I've pulled an 18 ft pontoon boat out of a lake with out the benefit of a ramp...didn't spin at all; towed 1/2 pallets of sod; moved a 4 bedroom house; and I use it as a work vehicle taking it to constructions sites where I have to drive thru deep sand and ruts...the awd is a life saver. Who needs a gas guzzling truck?? Just get a Forester and an 8x4 utility trailer and go to it.

Practical yet lots of fun to drive.

by mrkevin from New Jersey | February 13, 2009

I've had my had my '06 Forester xt for 3 years and have loved every minute of it. Having a 2 year old it has been practical for hauling strollers and such, yet the 230 horses in the turbo make it pretty quick off the line. The all wheel drive is great for the curvy roads and the New Jersey winters. The biggest problem I have is it is still a small car, or suv I should say. The back seat leg room is quite tight for an adult. But not too bad to live with. But for the money, it is an all-around great car to have.

Great handling and reliability, not for families.

by Forester Driver from Columbus, Ohio | January 12, 2009

I've had my forester for a couple years now and have been very satisfied with the handling and reliability. The absolute best part about this car is the overall road handling. I don't really like driving bigger SUV's and this drives more like a car. The standard AWD and antilock breaks enables this car to tear it up even on snowy and wet roads. I usually find myself trying to manuever around other cars stuck on the road. I feel like this is truly a safe vehicle in any condition. Another selling point is that the gas milage is amazing. If I wanted to be picky, there are just a few things I don't care for: exterior still too box-like (but better than it used to be). Interior design seems thin and not durable. The seats stain too easily from water. Not a whole lot of features (my mazda has audio controls built into the wheel). Not confortable for long rides, very stiff. Unfortunetally, my wife is pregnant and I have to get rid of this car for a bigger SUV. I don't think there's enough room in the back for a child seat and everything else. A parent friend of mine who had this car also agreed and said that his son was too close to the back of the front seats. I with I could keep this car because of everything good I mentioned, but it's not big enough. My complaints are probably too cosmetic and you may not have a family. The things you really want in a car, like handling and reliability, are excellent in the forester.

I Love My Subaru

by I Love My Subaru from MI | November 21, 2008

It's the best car I ever owned! The AWD is fantastic! I didn't mind driving it in the snow because I knew I'd get where I wanted to go. I love my Subaru!

The best car I have every owned!

by Busy Mom from Fort Worth, TX | August 21, 2007

I have driven many different cars (Pontiac, VW, Honda, Kia, Mazda...), and hands down, this is the best car I have ever owned! I am completely sold on Subaru and will probably never own anything else. The 2006 Forrester is cute, spacious (enough for 2 parents, a preschooler, an infant and ALL of their stuff), comfortable, fuel efficient and, above all, safe. What more do you need? Trust me, there is a reason that Subaru is called the "best kept secret in the car industry!"

LOVE This Car!

by JAVA LOVER from Appalachian's, Virginia | August 8, 2007

My friends teased me for buying a "soccer mom's car." The exterior styling CAN be vamped with the optional accessories Subaru offers. As for quality, SECOND TO NONE! For years I drove JEEPs due to the harsh winters of this area. I must say the all-wheel-drive impresses me. The transition into this car was effortless, I love the comfort and handling! I recommended this car to a friend who purchased her own and loves it. This car does not feel like a typical "family wagon."

Amazing Car

by Subaru Enthusiast from Chico, CA | November 25, 2006

Amazing pick-up, pulls your guts back if you really give it gas, 5/5 handling, town car to off-road 4WD, high clearance as well, perfect car for anyone.

one for all uses with NO EXCEPTION

by dim from Athens Greece | November 23, 2006

with few words if the only thing u care of is show off dont buy it.if u care about a thrilling driving experience get the xt turbo.U will make a few porsche cayenne drivers run for cover while u will also be able to drive on almost every surface with maximum 4wd safety.i hated the car when i first saw it.i took it for a test drive and i bought it immediately!Speed?...breathtaking.Rain?...walk in the park.Tarmac?...Perfect!!!As for styling... ok it suffers big.Beleive me i used to own a mazda RX8!not only i havent regreted my choice i totally love it!!!