2009 Subaru Forester

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Beast of the East

by Forester from Ithaca, NY | March 29, 2014

I enjoy the versatility of this car. Decent gas mileage, lots of interior space, plenty of attachments available such as luggage racks. This car is great in the snow, with a relatively large ground clearance and the AWD you need to work at it if your going to get it stuck. One thin i dislike about this car is the stock center console armrest. the the fake leather is cheap and is super easy to poke holes in, but I found a replacement armrest cover that is more durable and better looking than the stock material.

First Forigen Vehicled I considered buying

by Frankp48094 from Washington, Mi. | March 8, 2014

I am very pleased with my 2009 Subaru Forester.. I only had it for 1 month, but I know I will buy another when the time comes.. Plenty of Cargo Room in the back with the seats folded down.. I was able to buy and pick up 2 La-Z-Boy Recliners in the back and bring them home in 1 trip ( disassembled of course ). Great value.. I would recommend..

Engine rebuild at 95,000 miles

by Forester Owner from Detroit, MI | January 10, 2014

This is my second Subaru. It was decent , if somewhat tempermental, until about 95,000 miles, when a crankshaft bearing spun and necessitated a new short block, despite regular maintenance. I'll consider a Subaru in the future, especially since my first one (a 2003 Legacy wagon) was so trouble free, but I'll do a lot more research next time and not buy the first year of a new model.

Subaru Forester 4 wheel drive = less mpg

by Jellie from Houston, Texas | June 26, 2013

Car has a nice smooth ride. The back seat space is tight if the person in front has the seat back. Car is noisy. I can barely hear the radio. The mpg is a lot less that I thought it would be because of the 4WD.

Best Snow Vehicle Ever.

by Subaru Skier from Brighton, Co. | February 10, 2013

The day I bought this car was the day my idea of the perfect all around vehicle changed forever. Comfortable, easy on fuel, the PZEV motor is environmentally sound, and it's behavior on ice and snow is amazing.

Excellent Choice

by Ringing Rock Farm from Pottstown, PA | August 4, 2012

We're very happy with our new-to-us Forester. It's fun to drive and I like that it's got a higher clearance than most smaller cars. We've had Subaru's in the past and have always been pleased with them, even over the long haul. This one could use a bit more padding in the seat, as it's not super comfortable for long drives, but that's the only thing negative I can think of. Really happy with our choice!

My 2nd Subaru Forester

by Rock from Central PA | June 18, 2012

My 2003 Forester has been good to me: over 180,000 miles with routine maintenance! So when my wife & I decided to trade in our old sedan- we agreed that another Forester was the logical choice! The 2009 model is bigger & more comfortable than our 2003! I was supposed to keep driving the 2003, but I convinced my wife to let me use it for my 75 mile round-trip travel to work! (I'm a schoolteacher; she'll get to drive it during the summer months!) There's plenty of room for hauling our vacation luggage- or whatever supplies we need for our weeeknd projects. We both appreciate the the security of Subaru's all-wheel drive and other safety innovations!

worst car ever

by good driver from Lawrence, KS | April 24, 2012

This is absolutely the worst car I have ever owned. And I've owned cars for 40 years. Before this car I had four Legacy wagons in a row. I sold each of them when they were at about 120k miles, except my last one which, with only one major bit of work around 130k, had 260k on it when I sold it to buy this new piece of junk, the 2009 Sub Forester. This Forester has been nothing but trouble and expense. It had a leaky head gasket at 30k which I had fixed under warranty. At 70k (and only 2 1/2 years old) it required replacing the coil tower, the lines to the spark plugs, and all of the plugs for $750. Last week at 86k miles and one car payment from being mine it apparently was burning oil (bad rings? Shouldn't have been happening on an engine that has 86k highway miles) and burned it all up and threw a rod. So now it needs a new engine. $4-5k. I had all routine maintenance done on this car regularly except that I had missed my last oil change. But it shouldn't have burned it all up. I've heard so many nightmare Forester stories since this happened. I will never buy a Subaru again after having this lemon.

First suburu and used car

by sports enthusiast from Westchester County, Ny | April 16, 2012

I just bought my first used car and first Subaru 2 months ago. So far I am very pleased with my purchase. I had wanted AWD for a long time as the winters can be very rough where I live. I got a limited edition and love the fancy features which I never could have afforded in a new car. It gives a very tight, smooth ride and handles very well around curves. A friend of mine who drives a Mercedes found it very comfortable and was surprised by how well it drove. I recommend it.

Forester 2009

by Forestergirl from Plaistow, NH | January 27, 2012

Traded a 2003 Honda CR-V for a 2009 Subaru Forester. The Subaru is quieter, has better visibility and aerodynamics The only thing I do not care for in the Subaru is the position of the cup holders, as they are situated too far back in the middle column. Other than that, I love the Forester.