2012 Subaru Forester

Available in 6 styles:  2012 Subaru Forester 4dr AWD shown

Overall

2012 Subaru Pleasure

by Ruben from GardenRoute from Western Cape, South Africa | June 14, 2014

Recently bought a 2nd hand 2012 Subaru Forester XS Premium with 15000km. Had it for 6 months and enjoy it immensely. Like styling and it is very comfortable and enjoy luxury and equipment. Performance is quite brisk and ride is very comfortable - all wheel drive is very impressive. 4 speed automatic bit disappointing in cruise mode hunting for optimal gears especially up hills, but in manual it has enough torque to drive comfortably. Fuel consumption bit on high side if driven hard. Has few minor rattles but can live with it. So far it is a real pleasure to drive, will definitely look at the new version in future. New Subaru supporter .........

Quite underwhelming (2012 PZEV Premium)

by brianguy from Irvine, CA | March 17, 2014

Car has impressive cargo storage but few other redeeming qualities, besides AWD and a sport shifter. Suspension is quite spongy / bouncy and 2.5L 4cyl engine is suprisingly wimpy. If it has 170hp, you've got to show me where they are because it seems about 20 less when driving this car with any regularity, even when new or following all the scheduled service. Just don't plan on taking it up any significant hills (a strain) or over 60mph (starts to drink gas). Interior design and overall comfort are average and lacks modern touches or design including poor/old design of radio, heating and cooling system (no backseat vents). Front seats are OK but could use a little more support, while the back seat is a bit thin but relatively comfortable. Front legroom and headroom are typical. Seats fold down 60/40 which is beneficial, and fairly easy to engage/disengage.. Full time AWD powertrain is the redeeming mechanical feature of this vehicle, at least in the non-turbo model. It grips well and provides good handling around corners and steady footing over wet roads, snow, mud, etc. Safety rating is pretty good and has many airbags but the seatbelts have strange designs and the rear middle seat dangling in your rearview mirror the entire time you're driving is a hindrance. Visibility out of the rear is OK but nothing great. Extremely limited gears (4 speed transmission, no overdrive) does not allow the car to achieve above 25mpg at highway speeds, even on flat roads and with careful driving - which is far below usual in this classification, smallish crossover / family car built in only the last few years. Additional annoyances: Rear cargo area DC power port requires the car ignition to be in the Acc position with the key engaged which basically defeats the purpose of having one. Standard moonroof on all trim models (why????) is pointless and for the first 20,000 miles the thing had more rattles than a tin can. Finally subsided somewhat after the outer seals aged a bit. Do not recommend. Pros: Full time AWD, good tires, long cargo area, sport shifter available on automatic. Cons: Wimpy standard engine and 4-speed automatic transmission, no standard foglights, backup sensor or camera even on the "Premium" level trim (just below Limited). actual real-world mileage well below listed fuel ratings.

So far so good

by Love my Forester from South Dakota | January 24, 2014

Just bought our 1st Subaru Forester a week ago. So far we love it. We've had our eyes on either an Outback or Forester for a few months. It seemed that every time a dealership would get them in they would be gone just as fast. We jumped on ours right away when we saw it. The vehicle looks sporty and has gotten a lot of attention from co workers and friends. It isn't loaded with Luxury items, but that's not what we we're looking for. Living in South Dakota the winters are pretty extreme and this has handled all conditions great so far. Cold starts and stability in imperfect driving conditions. The interior is spacious and comfy. Being 6 foot tall I had plenty of room in both the front seats and the back and would feel confident riding anywhere for long road trips in this vehicle. The AWD has a great feel to it. It really hugs the road with precision and grace. No buyers remorse on my part. Love my Sub!

newsub

by just me from florida | June 19, 2013

My first. Have had other mid size suv's, but wanted all wheel drive and fond the Forrester to be the cheapest, much less than Honda, Hyundai and Ford products. I do not evern consider GM products. I have driven 4K miles in 4 months and love the car. My radio is actually qujite good (a 2013 model. the bluetooth picks up my phone music and sounds great.) However, the radio receiver is not much to brag about, but I just listen to news on terrestial radio anyway. I feel this car fits me to a t. It hugs the road. Cruises easily at 70 with minimal road noise. I had back up cam and fog lights added which help. Visibility all aroundis great. No so with some of the suvs going for the style element. Has good safety rating. My insurance dropped because of that, and it has excellent resell value. All very important.

so many rattle

by ben from montreal | May 28, 2013

I bauth this car almost a year ago and so regret it. This car as pour millage, lacks of power even with the manual transmission , but the worst of all are the rattle in the cocpit. The lack of quality materiel and the quality of assembly is so obvious. i Hate my car!!! and will never buy a Subaru again!

Seat belt alarms

by commuter from dallas, TX | May 11, 2013

Between our own cars & rent cars here & there, I have driven a number of cars..... In terms of the seat belt alert chimes, the Forrester is absolutely the WORST, most irritating I tested it during a 45 minute drive, and the machine kept chiming at me for the WHOLE time..... I immensely dislike machines trying to dictate my life..... I wear a seat belt belt because I think it's a good idea. of all he cars I have driven, this was the one that tried to FORCE me to put on my seat belt I wear my seat belt - when someone is not trying to FORCE me to..... I wear my seat belt the LEAST in the Forrester..... otherwise, a good vehicle.....

Very Happy after 13 Months

by Subaru Owner in the Snowbelt from Finger Lakes, NY | February 17, 2013

This is our 1st Subaru. We traded our 2006 Jeep Liberty for a 2012 Forester 2.5X automatic in Jan 2012 after the Jeep racked up thousands in repair costs with less than 60k in mileage. Our primary criteria for a new vehicle was 4WD or AWD as we live in a rural community in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. After 13 months and ~ 12k miles with the Forestor we are very happy. I will start out by saying that we are pretty utilitarian owners and were most concerned with handling - not bells, buzzers, navigation, and electronics. We have plenty of tools for these already and didn't look for them in a vehicle where you are more or less stuck with technology once it is installed. A stand alone nav unit can readily be upgraded, and even better, can come with you when you are NOT driving! Key Observations: 1) It handles really well in all kinds of weather on all kinds of roads. 2) Braking system is awesome. When you need to stop, it stops with confidence. 3) Interior is comfortable and well designed. 4) The vehicle is well made, feels very solid. 5) Mileage is suprisingly good. Average 27 mpg in warm weather with a mixed 20 mile commute (some hilly rural roads, some stop and go suburbs, some highway). Winter drops to about 25 mpg. 6) Excellent visibility and cargo space. 7) Absolutely no problems with vehicle so far. 8) GREAT VALUE for what the Forester offers. Nothing else in the small SUV/crossover market can touch the price point. 9) Sound system is not impressive, but plan to upgrade to aftermarket system anyway. I've read lots of reviews and am really puzzled by the comments that this vehicle lacks power. How the heck are these folks driving???? This thing can MOVE and has plenty of low end torque. I would buy this vehicle again!

You can't go wrong with a Subaru

by Forester Fan from Knoxville, TN | February 15, 2013

This is my second Forester. I've been driving a 2004 and loved it so much that I decided to upgrade to a 2012. However, we are hanging onto the 2004 because we can't let go of it. This car grabs the road, making you feel as though you are always in control in all weather conditions. Give a try, you won't be disappointed!

Love my SUV

by Mountain Lovers from Tyro, VA | January 2, 2013

We noticed the Subaru was prevalent at the Farmer's Market we went to on Saturdays and now we know why. Absolutely love the ground clearance and comfort on the road!!

Superior all wheel drive car

by My first Subaru from Harrisburg, PA | November 14, 2012

The all wheel drive easily tames adverse weather and road conditions with confidence. Good overall handling and corners excellent, braking is firm and predictable. The engine is a bit noisy but produces adequate power with good gas mileage. Overall fit and finish are OK but low marks go to the rather bland and plastic interior. Seating is also OK but driver vision is excellent.