2014 Subaru Forester

Starting MSRP

Overall

Quality Vechicle

by al pal from hadley , ma | September 23, 2014

first subura. drove hondas. Drove 8000 miles in 10 months. just over 28 miles per gallon. no issues with oil level. Seats comfortable for 3 hour drive. so far reliable car. SUV won't break speed records or slalom course. wish suv had engine temperature guage. my wife and i knew what we were buying. currently own odyssey with 167k miles and accord with 120k miles. reliability and value for the money will determined at 120k miles.

Needs some minor improvement to get five stars.

by Dex from San Antonio | September 16, 2014

I've owned my 2015 Forester for two months now. Minor niggles are as follows, the center armrest slides back and forth when you rest your arm on it. I would like to see a positive stop on it to prevent this happening. The seats could do with a little more in width and length in the cushion...not much would make it so much more comfortable. The CVT is a bit jerky at low speeds/slight throttle openings. I have read that this is just a normality of these CVT's in Subarus. The Forester that I test drove did not exhibit this jerkiness! This vehicle is happier on the back roads than out on the highway which suits my use fine. It feels a little vague on the highway and does not like cross winds. Maybe the steering could do with less power assistance at higher speeds? I am impressed by the fuel economy, 28.8 mpg average to date. This is driving 50 miles a day on mainly urban/back roads, mostly with little or no gradients with about twenty traffic lights....so 50 % will stop you by the law of averages, at which point you get 0 mpg. I have seen the posts about oil burning on the engines. Mine is slightly overfilled and was delivered this way. It does not appear to have dropped any in two months and 2400 miles. Ambient temperatures have been over 100 degF on a number of days. Once I start the engine, it runs for 45 minutes at a time during my commute. Maybe shorter runs are a cause for excess oil consumption? Or the 0w/20 viscosity oil that is used to get better fuel economy? Some posters have mentioned the tailgate not opening high enough. Myself, being 6 feet tall have to agree...just another two inches of opening height would solve the head bumping problem! Some have mentioned a road noise problem. I think this vehicle has very low road noise on most surfaces and only becomes noticeable on those ridged concrete surfaces. Engine noise is well muted and only becomes noticeable above 4000 rpm.....which is a good thing as the CVT will run to this engine speed when accelerating on the highway after a slow down or going up a gradient. I have yet to fully experience the AWD system in action on a really slippery surface. On one wet day, I accelerated away hard from a turn and the car remained totally stable and planted. My old RWD only Explorer would have wiggled it's tail and need some corrective steering action. My girlfriends FWD Jetta Diesel would have just spun its wheels and not gone anywhere! Would I buy another? Yes, I would. For the money, this is a good car and if it lasts as long as my Explorer (turns 15 this year) I will be happy. Advice to Subaru....keep making AWD cars and keep the Boxer engine....bring us a Diesel like my friends across the pond have....it's a good match for the Forester and Outback. Thanks for reading.

Good Experience

by Jeff from Kansas City | August 27, 2014

I walked in to Van Subaru in Kansas City , just looking at SUV's - The Salesman who helped me was Great, Sam Miller was comfortable to work with and truthfully answered all my questions. He really appreciates the Subaru quality and value. I bought my Forester and recommend Sam and Van Subaru to anyone looking for a new or used car.

Subaru Boo Hoo

by Kboy111 from Columbus, Ohio | July 30, 2014

I purchased this vehicle for my Mother because that was what she wanted. It got great reviews and Consumer Reports drooled all over it. I drove one, and for a little 4 cylinder with great mileage, it was very peppy. The CVT I, I think, gives it the mileage and acceleration it has relative to its size. It has substantial road noise on the highway(why don't companies put noise-dampening material in the wheel wells?). Overall, I quite liked it. Now the bad.; after purchasing, I find out there is a law suit against Subaru complaining of excessive oil-burning in the engine. Oil is getting past the rings and can cause damage to the o2 sensors and catalytic converter.Because of this I cannot recommend this vehicle.

Best purchase I've ever made!

by The Best! from Webster, NY | July 18, 2014

I've only had my Subaru Forester a month and I'm so happy with it! It is a very peppy car. Very smooth riding. Love all the features. Lots of storage space. I've been looking for a year for this car. They are in high demand. Found it on cars.com. It's great to have the fog lights for night time driving. Sun roof for sunny days is a great feature. Totally love it!

Almost Perfect

by BillPosters from Cleveland OH | July 7, 2014

I've had my 2014 Forester for almost a year now. Subaru has gotten most of the basics right: peppy performance, fun and safe to drive (especially in winter), great gas mileage, fantastic visibility, and an upgraded transmission (now CVT vs a 4-speed automatic in previous versions). Unlike some other Subaru models, the Forester has a manual rather than an electronic parking brake - - a big plus, in my opinion. Biggest disappointment: the navigation and backup camera screens are so tiny they are nearly unusable. Combined with a navigation system that is cumbersome and difficult to use, I generally use my iPhone for navigation. Also, the voice commands for using the bluetooth phone are non-intuitive and finicky, and the speed dial is unnecessarily difficult to access. If Subaru would increase the size of the navigation and backup screens, upgrade and simplify the navigation and bluetooth systems, and get rid of the power rear lift gate (mine has failed several times), this car gets five stars.

Great Car

by East Coast Mike from Omaha, NE | June 26, 2014

I bought a 2014 Forester Limited with Eye Sight and Navagation. Everything I wanted in a car, this has, and then some. Comfortable, roomy, tight fit and finish, and just a fun car to drive. Had it for over a year, the the only issue was a small bracket lever on the sunroof decided to stop working and raise the air dam. No big deal, it was winter anyway! Good gas mileage when you keep it at 55-60mph, but where do you find those road? Get around 29mpg on the interstate doing 70mph. Just a really nice car!

I'm doggone sure, Subaru paid for this to be rated

by 350 miles a day from Texas | June 19, 2014

I bought my 2014 in late January of this year. It is by far, bar none the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven on highways, country roads and brand new just got redone roads. It hates curves. I live in an area with hills and snake curves. Never understood how people hit guard rails before this vehicle, now I get it.. I know how to drive into a curve, been doing it for years. This thing slides almost like it's hydroplaning. Comfort, I haven't found a seat position in this vehicle that doesn't make my back hurt within 20 miles. Is it safe, yes. I have a great deal with my insurance company because of it's safety rating. Is Subaru helpful, pretty much NO! The dealership finally listened to me about my hood flapping around. Turns out it really did need to be tightened. Customer service with Subaru through their 800 number is laughable. My dealership isn't much better. Would I recommend this car to anyone? Not on your life.

Heating and A/C problems

by Back to the Dealer from Westchester, NY | June 3, 2014

Purchased the car in the fall of 2013. When the cold weather came there was mediocre heat and limited defrosting. Returned to the dealer several times before they contacted SOA. SOA stated that there was a replacement thermostat to solve the problem. Now its warm and the A/C doesn't work in traffic or at idle while in gear. Several visits to the dealer has now resulted in the dealer replacing the compressor. We will see if this works. The quality of the interior is unremarkable with unfinished areas. This is my 5th Subaru and 4th purchased new. It will, most likely, be my last.

Most Reliable Car We've Owned

by Fran from Beverly, MA | May 29, 2014

Bought this car from IRA Danvers and Maria S. was our salesperson. We were interested in the Subaru Forester due to it's consumer reports rating of safety and reliability. It is everything that has been written about it. Maria was great as was the entire IRA Subaru staff. For once it was a pleasure buying experience. The entire staff was truly excited for us, including Mike, the finance guru. So happy with our purchase.