2012 Subaru Impreza

Available in 14 styles:  2012 Subaru Impreza 4dr Hatchback shown

Overall

Overall happy

by buzzliteyearone from Ohio | September 8, 2014

I have 20000 miles on the premium sedan and have not had the oil consumption issues. I have had issue with the Yokohama tires that are bad in the rain and snow. Worst of all they are so loud that I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. The car does scratch and dent easily. I do have some rattles when going over not so smooth roads. But I average 30 MPG combined driving. I like the CVT transmission except for the downshifting when going downhill. I wish Subaru would fix that with new firmware. I like the sound system except for the radio. My family has 3 Subarus and my dad got a 2013 Legacy. For the most part I would buy another Subaru and will for my son.

Excited owner to dismayed owner

by my first subaru buy from Quakertown,PA | August 30, 2014

I bought my 2012 Subaru Sport Premium in April 2012. I was super excited to be buying my first car. My close friend had a 2005 Legacy and he was having no problems after 100k+ miles. So with that knowledge I gave Subaru its consideration. I ended up getting a manual sports premium Impreza. For the first few months I had loved it. Lots of space. Fold down back seats, and the awd saved me through harse winter snow. But as time passed the quality of by the car started to drop. Oil consumption issues to start. I have to keep a 5qt jug of oil in my trunk just in case my oil light comes on. How is that normal with a car with less than 25k miles. Almost a new engine eating this much oil makes me doubt the longevity of this car. Also the paint work on this car is poor. Scratches and dents seem to magically appear from no where. Paint peeling on the hood. Definitely expected more with the price tag of the car. Back to old reliable, Toyota/Honda.

jumped from Subaru fan to disappointed

by Mr Moon from san Jose CA | July 31, 2014

I got my impreza 2012 in April 2012 and had driven it for 53000 miles. I like the car overall and felt proud of owning it. As many others, I've also experienced excessive oil consumption. I have to add a quarter of oil between oil changes and by then the low oil lamp is on again . This is something I didn't expect for a new car. Subaru says its normal but I really don't think so. I i also noticed little dents around the car and thought I was just unlucky for hitting rocks on the highway. Actually my dad's car (Chrysler 200) has none and he drives more highway than I do. Once I read that Subaru used a thinner metal on this car I stopped thinking its bad luck in fact. I started feeling insecure in the car. The aspect that motivated me to write this review is the premature tire wear. All four OEM Yokohamas have excessive inner wear and have to replace all four although they are plenty of thread. I don't think this is normal for a 2 years old car. This was so sudden that i was warned of abnormal tire wear 2 months ago and today the tires are showing their white threads. To summarize, my concept about the car jumped from proud and trust to disapointment and headaches. Bad experience for my first new car. I just want to tradeit in and get a Honda.

Poor quality

by Christine from Detroit, mi | July 7, 2014

While this car grips the road and handles corners and snow well, it lacks in ways you would not expect a Subaru car to. I bought this car brand new in 2012. The day i drove it home i noticed a small dent on the door. Since then the paint has scratches all over the doors and front. I had a 2002 focus and the paint on that car was impeccable compared to my Subaru. Right after buying the car I noticed when I would start it, the engine would rev up super fast and loud and then calm down after a few minutes. The car is overall very loud. Road noise is easily heard and its hard to hear music over it especially on a bumpy road. And you will feel every bump with this car. Test drive it on the expressway and you will really notice the noise. The interior is made of cheap plastic and rattles as it is not fully secured to the dash. The air is loud. The biggest problem of all is the oil consumption. I have to refill the oil every 2000 miles. This all started after about 10,000 being on the car ( after 2 oil changes.). It has gotten worse over time. Ive talked to the dealership and Subaru of America who say they can do nothing for me and that it is within Acceptable levels/specifications. After doing research on the internet i hAve found this is a very common issue with this car, and ive noticed it in several posts here. This was my first Subaru and sadly will be my last, especially with the poor customer service i have received over this issue. Buyers beware!

Time to move on...

by callanja from New Hampshire | May 19, 2014

I purchased my 2012 Impreza for the awd and mpg. The car has been great in incliment weather. However, the bad issues out weight the good. The car uses synthetic oil which is very expensive. Over $70 each oil change. The engine consumes an additional 3-4 quarts of oil between each oil change. I have never had to add oil to my multiple Hondas. When running the AC or defroster, the car shudders at idle and feels like it will stall. Other times the car will race at idle over 2000 rpm. The dealer has not been able to fix any of these issues. The windshield cracked at 13k miles when running the defroster. The car has many rattles. The headlights blew in the first year. Unless you are a mechanic, you can't change the headlighs yourself. The entire front bumper and grill need to be dissassembled...plan on paying the dealer for 2 hours labor plus parts. The list goes on, but I'm getting bummed out typing this. Time to go back to Honda...or any other car for that matter!

absolutely love the car

by John88 from Pittsburgh, PA | May 9, 2014

I bought the car in 2012 and I'm not disappointed. The car is more powerful that the dodge caliber R/T I had before. Because of its AWD he is perfect in the winter as long one remember it is a 4 wheel drive it breaks just like all the other car in the snow. The car has now 18000 miles and is not using Oil. The I average about 31 mpg in mixed driving and can get up to 42 mpg on the highway as long I don't floor it. If I floor it I do get around 34 mpg on the freeway if I stay below 80 miles. What I don't like is the Way the CVT works when the car is driven down hill. As soon as I take the foot of the gas the CVT is shifting down. This is very annoying if one try to coast along on a slope. It also lowers the gas mileage because there is no momentum left to go up the hill. Because of this behavior from the CVT I normally drive the car in "manual mode/sport mode" on the freeway. This forces the car to stay in six gear. Would be nice if Subaru would fix this flaw in the program of the CVT program. the The radio and its speakers really need an improvement.

My First Subaru

by Event Horizon from Bozeman, Montana | May 9, 2014

This is my First Subaru and I really like the car. I chose the Impreza Premium when I purchased the car new. I opted for a standard transmission because of how much I dislike the CVT automatic on the car. And to be honest I dislike the CVT automatic for any car brand. I know the car has less power than the previous model but I average 31 mpg in town so I can live with a little less power. I bought the car before moving to Montana where the car is much more expensive than I paid out of state. I also put 10,000 miles on the car before the first 6 months of ownership from driving across parts of the U.S. I now have about 26,000 miles on the car after about 2 years of ownership and I plan on keeping the car at least 10 years. No car is perfect but I am very satisfied with the purchase.

Cheap sheet metal and excessive oil consumption

by Nick273 from Detroit, MI | May 8, 2014

This is my first and last Subaru. Prior to buying this car I heard nothing but good things about Subaru but this car has changed my mind. During my first few months of ownership there was hail damage from a hail storm. None of my other vehicles were damaged even though they experienced the same storm. After fixing the hail came fall (acorn season). The body of the car is now riddled with little dents from acorns. Yet again, all of my other vehicles have had acorns falling on them for years and none of my other cars were ever damaged by an acorn. From my understanding Subaru moved to a thinner sheet metal for this car. Big mistake and drop in quality. During my first winter I started having oil problems. I am now just over two years into owning this car and I need to add oil every couple thousand miles. Subaru seems to think there is nothing wrong with this. I have owned other cars that were properly maintained to well above 200k miles and they did not consume as much oil as this car does. I am well past the break-in period for the car so there is no reason it should be consuming this much oil.

Sadly disappointed

by Hebick from Atlanta, GA | April 23, 2014

I owned a 2001 Forester, which I sold after 11 years and 250K miles. I loved every nut and bolt of it, so I was excited to see the redesigned Impreza with improved MPG. No way. The gas mileage averages 25-26 city and 28-29 highway; this is barely improved over the Forester. The car burns oil between oil changes, not as bad as some owners have reported, but about 1 quart between each change. The car is so shabbily and cheaply made, Subaru should be embarrassed--road noise, rattles and squeaks; one of the screws that holds the license tag has come loose since the day I bought the car, and the headlamp assembly has fallen off twice. The radio is awful--the volume goes to zero whenever it's turned off--and the headrest had to be removed because it hits the back of my head and pitches my head forward. I can't wait to be rid of it.

Good overall car but very slow get up and go

by PA Subaru Driver from Reading, PA | December 8, 2013

I bought the 2012 Impreza Premium with the all weather package with the 5 speed manual transmission brand new. Overall it is a quality car with a very comfortable ride/seats, no mechanical issues with 42k miles driven, the AWD is rock solid, and the gas mileage is great! The safety features are very good and the 12's A-pillar has been moved over a few inches to allow greater driver visibility. I the price is very affordable too. However, I do have a few complaints. First, the car has the get up and go of a slug going through a jar of molasses in January. Granted, it isn't a performance car like the WRX, but the acceleration is an issue if I'm trying to merge onto a highway going up hill and meeting the traffic (often going 80+). This is the reason why I'm now shopping around for a different car, its my biggest complaint and a possible safety issue dealing with some of today's bozo drivers. Maybe they could put a in a small turbo (similar to what the Chevy Cruze does) for some extra power. Second, the car needs a 6 speed manual transmission (Subaru: get with the times!). A 5 speed isn't doing anyone any favors and is outdated. Third, the stock speakers are just awful! I think you can jam out harder using the elevator speakers at Sears as compared to the stock ones in this car... Be prepared to upgrade both this and the stereo head unit! Third, the A/C is woefully under-powered. My Subaru dealer says its due to the 2.0L engine not having much oomph behind it as compared to the 2.5L the 2011 Impreza had. This does not bode well on a hot PA summer day as I now have to destroy my MPG to crank the A/C on max blast. The interior/exterior style is very blah, not much going for it, but then again I don't really consider a cars 'style' a make or break factor. Overall it is a very safe, reliable car that gets good MPG (I average 33 for mostly highway driving). But Subaru needs to address the performance issue and make the driving experience (stereo and A/C) better in the standard Impreza before I consider buying another one. I did look at the WRX but they were too pricey for my budget.