2013 Subaru Impreza

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Well-built as a real Subaru

by Foreigner from Long Island NY | February 26, 2014

In my 16th month and 16,000 miles, I have only one complaint - the front loudspeaker vibrates terrible and loud, especially over some road bumps and holes -and there are so many in NYC... I had a Subaru Legacy Wagon, which i was stupid enough not to move before Sandy...it got totally flooded. The greatest car ever had. This one is also very good, but a bit lighter - on some long bridges the wind can push you around in the lane! But it has great mileage compared to the old one. Don't fall for the "PZEV"(what's the sense for a 2.0l car when the monsters with the 5.7l don't have it?!) - get rid of the additional charcoal air filter (just break and remove it, no other way) and replace the original with a K&N filter. I can't describe the difference! The car accelerates much faster, you feel the power and on top of that - 3-5 mpg more, especially on the hwy! Had a 900 miles trip to Champaign-IL, averaged 38 mpg on a 65 mph average-how's that for the 36 mpg at 55 mph official data!? Absolutely no problems with the computer, if this is your next question. Interior is much better then the previous Impreza, 4 adults and lots of luggage sit very comfortable (well, we're all less than 6 ft!), same problems with the bluetooth as all others though. I also miss the horizontal reels-come only with the most expensive model- and the cruise control. Have a "comfort" package w/o cruise control?! nonsense. The tranny has some high-pitched noise over 60 mph but it goes away at 70 so no complains. Overall great car as a Subaru should be. Next time will buy a low-milage totally loaded Sports package with all extras...

2013 Impreza Premium Wagon

by Woodsman from Central PA | January 28, 2014

Had the car over a year now with 14,000 miles. SUV's and trucks were killing me on gas $$, Overall, the car is very practical SUV alternative and a good value if you don't splurge on the options. Easy to whip around in traffic and park! The engine is no rocket, but it gets you where you want to go. The gas mileage has been good but not as great as advertised. I average about 26-30 mpg in mixed driving. The AWD works very well. I had the car out on an unplowed road with about 10 inces of snow and it handled very well. However, the sedan-like 5.7" of ground clearance could become an issue on hard packed high snow and backwoods roads leading to camp grounds. The cargo capacity with the rear seats down is VERY good-like most people I wish it were a bit wider, but for a car this size, it's not bad, although I wish it was boxier like my old 2001 Forester. The seat fabric could be better. In fact, I wish they copied the Honda Element's seats. . The bluetooth can be a PITA and the radio sound quality reminds me of one I had in a 1979 Buick Regal. All in all, a good car but I think I may upgrade to a Forester or Outback for the extra ground clearance...maybe.

Impreza (and Subaru) have gone downhill

by Zed from Houston, TX | January 22, 2014

I had a 1997 Subaru Impreza Outback, and I LOVED it. It was comfortable, small (I like small), sporty, and reliable. Probably the only reason I'm not still driving it is because I wrecked it. Oops. So I decided to buy a 2013 Impreza. Oops again. Since 1997, the car itself has grown significantly larger. It appears to be as large as the 90s Foresters. I don't know why Subaru keeps inflating it's cars, but the ride shows it. The handling is NOTHING like in 1997. I don't trust the car around turns or over bumps. While I described my old Impreza as a "little tank," my new one is more like a hot air balloon. This is in part thanks to the weakling of an engine they stuck inside it. Making the car larger, and the engine less powerful is a winning combination for gas mileage (even though only a couple miles per gallon), and a pathetic combination for performance. The owners manual recommends shifting to 5th gear at 45mph for the best combination of mileage and performance, and I'm here to tell you that if you're in 5th at 45 and want to accelerate to 60 to, say, merge onto the highway, you have to floor the accelerator. Boh-oh-oh-gus! Furthermore, if someone in the passenger seat has sweaty shorts, like if they've been running, or cycling, or to the gym recently, it shorts out the airbag sensor and turns BOTH airbags off. I have another great idea, let's take our overgrown, under-powered car that's (theoretically) targeted towards outdoorsy and active people and design it such that the airbags won't work whenever said people have recently been outdoorsy and/or active. The dealer assured me this is normal operation. The engine noise on the highway is something like an airplane. It's LOUD-louder than any other car I've been in, other than a Wrangler. It's even louder than my friend's MiniCooper S Convertible. How is that even possible? And good luck using the BlueTooth--no one has even been able to hear me, even if I yell. I don't know why they bothered. I loved my old Subaru because it was practical AND fun. I got to own the car I wanted to drive, and also thought I should own. My new Subaru is neither. In an effort to go more mainstream and gain a larger market share, Subaru has destroyed everything I liked about them

Very solid and reliable car

by PS from | January 15, 2014

We bought a 2013 Impreza hatchback to be a steady performer in nasty Midwestern weather and it's performed admirably: careful handling, reliability, and decent MPG. It's a nice size for a young family and gets the job done without any hassle. There can be some road noise and I know lots of reviewers hate the Bluetooth/internal entertainment setup but these are low priorities for us and so largely irrelevant to the car achieving its main function.

Great car if you don't smoke...

by NY Commuter from Long Island, NY | January 9, 2014

I purchased this car in June '13 and have put 13,500 miles on it already, mostly commuting through NYC. The gas mileage has been very good (approx 30) considering the stop and go traffic I deal with everyday. Get closer to 34 on open highway. I spend a lot of time in this car and find interior comfortable and controls convenient. The CVT takes some getting use to and it definitely lacks a quick pick up on merges. BluTooth and audio technology is about a generation behind similar models for 2013 but sufficient for calls or listening to music. I have the hatch back and the storage is great, perfect compromise between a small SUV and a sedan. Clings to turns and rides smooth, if a little noisy.Just had our first snow storm and this car handled like a champ. Big complaint as a smoker is that due to the door design if you open the window even a crack in rain be prepared for a steady stream of water soaking your arm and door. Guess I will quit because otherwise I am very pleased with this car.

2014 Impreza 2.0i base hatch 5mt

by driver from | December 12, 2013

I really enjoy my subaru, bought it last month after my 4runner broke down for the final time. Totally worth it. The blue tooth works well, although i did give up on putting the numbers in by voice, and instead started doing it manually by using the audio control knobs, literally cut the time to enter a number in half. Seat are very comfortable, my only gripes are that first gear is almost useless, and i wish cruise control came on the base model. audio is not that bad, have yet to hear a crackle or distortion, even by listening to it pretty high. Paint is pretty thin, have already got a couple dings, but oh well. Brakes work well, as does steering, although i wish the spring were a bit more firm! I like to take corners fast and there is a fair amoung of body roll with this car in the base model. I have achieved 39.9 mpg on highway, but that was right after a fill and only highway driving. my average is around 32 mpg with 50/50 driving. All in all, a great car for the money, but if you have the extra cash spring for the cruise control!

I despise this car.

by LCS154 from Manassas, Virginia | December 10, 2013

I find it comforting to see that other 2013 Impreza owners are experiencing problems similar to mine. Other Subaru owner rave about their cars, not me, I HATE this vehicle. First of all, the interior technology is terrible. I have the upgraded nav system and the maps are outdated, and the touch screen delay is irritating. Also, you can't make changes to your settings while driving- even if there is a passenger setting off the seatbelt sensor! The bluetooth will make you want to pull your hair out. I can hear the other party perfectly clearly, but my voice comes across as if I'm yelling from inside an underwater cave. I end up holding my phone most of the time- which I'm pretty sure is illegal. The dealership told me "it works fine with our phones, must be your service plan." No. No it is not my cell service. Don't even bother trying to accelerate to merge with traffic. The engine sounds like a dying giraffe when you try to speed up quickly. It's almost painful to listen to. The cheap plastic grill on the front cracked within the first six months and costs $450 to repair. Let's see, what else... the gas mileage is ok, but nothing to write home about. It handles ok in the snow with the AWD, but my front wheel drive Corolla was just as reliable. It was totally not worth the price. Get a Mazda 3 instead.

Another good car

by Subaru sold from Durango, CO | October 22, 2013

Second new Impreza for us. My only complaints are the transmission seems a little loud/strange when speeding up quickly (I may just need time to get used to new style of tranny or get a standard next time) & it doesn't hug the road as well as the 2002 I had. Lots of changes since then but seems to be another good car so far. Great fuel economy & maneuverability! Wish it had a darker interior but white is what was left in stock. White interior in Colorado- Really??

Can't go wrong

by Didas42 from Lebanon, PA | October 5, 2013

This is the 3rd impreza I've owned. Dating back to 2001. Still daily driving my 2002. If anyone buys 3 of the same kind of car I think that's saying it all right there. Was leery of the CVT, so far it's been great. My wife loves the car. It is hers. Averaging 30mpg with only 2,000 miles on it. Expect to see better as mileage increases. For just is and the dog, it's perfect size.

Not Impressed with the Subaru imprenza

by Buy another brand car North Carolina from Raleigh NC | September 30, 2013

I bought this car and am not impressed. I noticed the seats were stiff and hard. You can feel every bump on the road. The head rests are stiff and hit you if you turn you head too much. If you have an older cell phone, even 2 years old, it will no sync with the blue tooth no matter what you do. The plastic hoops behind the steering wheel are stupid and unattractive and useless. The stereo has poor quality sound as well as the blue tooth sound quality. I have to yell to talk because of all the road noise and static. I would not suggest this as a great car. I plan to get rid of it as soon as I can. The visibility out the front and back windows when pulling in and out of parking you cannot see.