2014 Subaru Impreza

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Solid

by Bozo from Upstate New York | April 13, 2014

I too moved from a Mazda3 2.3L to the Impreza - but kept my Mazda. This car is a great value. There is lots of room inside, comfortable seating, and easy to use controls. The ride, road grip and brakes are outstanding. The drivetrain is a different story. The transmission feels a bit like a pick up truck, and absolutely needs a 6th gear. The engine seems totally disconnected from the gearbox - very bad throttle control. Loud past 40 mph. Everyone complains about the radio. Car stereos are cheap, so why the cost cutting? Overall, a very solid car, a perfect fit for someone who needs to get from here to there no matter what the weather - that's me.

Subaru Impreza Sport

by 1st Subaru from Denver, CO | April 4, 2014

Traded in my 2008 Mazda3 with 140k on it for a 2014 Subaru Impreza Sport with a 5-speed manual(as it should be). The Subaru is a confident hatchback with quite an array of features. I chose the Impreza Sport Premium for the upgraded interior, wheels and appearance. I think the entry Impreza is a little bare. The 2.0 liter 148 horsepower engine took a little while to get use to coming from a Mazda3 which is front-wheel and zippy. The Subaru is quicker with the manual, I think, and has given me 34 mpg highway on road trips. The heated seats are comfortable and there is plenty of legroom for all passengers. The fold-down seats provide a great amount of cargo room for bikes, snowboards, moving days and more. The Bluetooth connectivity for phone and music is a great feature and makes playing your tunes very easy. With it being my 1st Subaru, I am totally sold on the brand and love the car. I would recommend the Subaru Impreza Sport having looked at VWs, Mazdas, Hondas, and Toyotas. It is an economical, affordable, and safe car. The all wheel drive standard also makes it the best all season vehicle. Being in Colorado, this car, even with a 2.0 liter 148 horsepower engine, can climb the Rocky Mountains.

Practical car that is great for commuting

by mossman11 from South Salem, NY | March 9, 2014

Have the Limited 4-door, and the styling makes for a practical car that is easy to drive with good outward visibility. It will not become dated, as some of today's over styled models. As others have said, the radio is under powered and the speakers poorly isolated from the door mechanism. I fixed this by installing my own after market radio with Infinity speakers mounted on masonite isolators (available online at the Impreza owner's club) and the sound is much better. As for road noise, the stock Yokohama tires are to blame, as I installed Continental Winter Contact tires in December and road noise went way down. For those that want one set of tires, the Pirelli P7 All-Season Plus are available in the stock 16- and 17-inch sizes as replacements as the stock Yokos probably won't last long. With the radio and tires replaced, the car is super: quiet, safe, comfortable.

Impreza Wagon AKA "The Snow Cat"

by Robert from Southeast Pennsylvania | February 17, 2014

This winter SE Pennsylvania has been brutal, especially with consistent significant (6+ inches) snowfalls. But hey, what a better test for the Subaru Impreza wagon? We live in a township that does not always get to the side roads to quickly when it becomes time to plow, so you're on your own for a day or two. We had a GMC Envoy 4x4 that met the last of it's days. Nice truck but horrible on gas and was like driving a bull in a China shop when trying to navigate the inner city. Parallel parking it was also a chore too, especially for the wife. Our Impreza has been a great, practical replacement! Yeah, we don't have as much interior space as the SUV, but the majority of time it was hauling around cubic feet of air. With the money we saved on gas and the price of the vehicle, we could rent a U haul van or Lowes truck 30 times to move a very large item. For everday use, the Impreza has been fine. Last night, I had ten 2x4x8 pieces of lumber in the back with the hatch closed (and passenger seat empty). Not bad. Now for the snow...phenomenal. Did not get stuck once in heavy, unplowed snows. The stock tires are okay but I will upgrade to Continental DWS when the time comes. That should make it even better. Oh, and yes, AWD is far superior to FWD or RWD. I saw many cars with FWD spinning their wheels to get moving, and some even stuck, on roads that were plowed, but still had a hard packed snow surface. The Subaru rolled along without any struggle at all. Some caveats: you still have to know how to drive in snow (AWD helps alot, but does not totally compensate for a lack of experience, bad tires, or common sense), the car will plow through deeper snow, but make sure it is not hard packed ice because of the lower ground clearance, you still have to steer and stop...AWD will get you going and will help in a turn, but only so much. Speed kills (or at least contributes to crashes in slippery conditions). As for the rest of the car, it is nice. The CVT takes some getting used to, but I like it because I'm not a speed junkie anymore. Gas mileage has been very good but not quite what is advertised, but then is it ever? Interior quality is good except the seat fabric seems cheap, so we got seat covers. The car is surprisingly roomy for both passengers and cargo (I'm 6'3 235 lbs with long legs). Outward visibility is great. The radio sounds cheap. The bluetooth can be frustrating.The paint quality seems kind of cheap and seems to chip easily. Overall, we bought this to serve as our SUV replacement and my primary commuter car into the city. City commuting is hard on a vehicle between the commute itself and parking. A vehicle tends to get beat-up badly throught its life. A pricier model like the Outback was out because I did not want to subject it to inner city commuting conditions, so the Impreza became the workhorse. So far, it It serves it's purpose admirably! We are true Subaru fans now.