1998 Subaru Legacy

Est. MPG

Information Coming Soon

See Photos & Videos

Overall

205,000 miles and still like new.

by hooked on Subaru from Phila., Pa. | December 1, 2011

I love the way it looks. Real GT LIMITED. Nothing stops it.. I had it since 2002 w/ 98.000 routine maintenance. 2 timing belts,head gaskets, catalytic converters,2 CV joints, 1 rear wheel baring and a couple of other things. And I will continue to replace whatever it needs. Body is white and very shiny, tinted windows, High power stereo system All leather and the best thing is I don't have a car note. Thank You.

Great Car !!

by V70Cub from Delaware | September 19, 2010

Owned a 97 Subaru Legacy GT2.5. Awesome looking car, Great gas mileage avg 24 MPG combined highway and city driving. Love this car during the snow day. So easy to drive making a deep snow road an easy task to do :) Cheap maintenance but beware of the Blown Head in 2.5 Engine thru 98 or perhaps 99. New Model was out for 00 Model. Check the car for excessive oil leaks in engine compartment as well as if there s any coolant leak into the engine ... Big $$$ Replaced it with a volvo v70 ..i miss how cheap Subaru can be :(

Solid, Reliable Car

by KJMCLark from Ann Arbor, MI | August 12, 2010

We bought our '98 Legacy used in 2004. It's the Brighton model, the cheapest model, but it's almost exactly what we wanted. Fuel economy has always been great, it's easily roomy enough for our family of four, and it's been rock solid reliable. We regularly haul a trailer with it, load up the roof rack with two tandem bikes, it has tremendous traction in all conditions, and we took it from Michigan to Fargo ND last year with no problems. Terrific car.

love is not cheap

by Saint from Cleve Oh | July 30, 2010

I recently bought this year and model for my son for winter driving. It is extremely great for snow, but the joy did not last long. The car lasted 6 months, It is now heading to the scrap yard. DO NOT BUY any 97-98 subaru w/ out knowing for sure that the head gasket has been replaced w/ the newer style gasket. The overheating from the blown gasket has warped the heads and sprung oil leaks all over. My only option is a new motor, radiator and more... Shame, my 16 year old really loved this car a lot I only wish I did my homework better and the dealer had a heart. I suspect they will occupy the chair next to lawyers in the afterlife...

The most reliable car I have ever had

by Car lover from | May 21, 2010

Subaru is a very safe and dependable car. When you keep it well maintained, she will serve you forever.

Favorite Car

by Tennesse Tom from | March 4, 2009

MOST RELIABLE CAR I'VE EVER HAD. FINALLY NEARLY KILLED ME WHEN I HIT SOME TREES IN THE ROAD ONE WINTER. DESPITE THAT THE CAR SAVED MY LIFE. I'VE BOUGHT ANOTHER OF THE SAME MAKE YEAR AND MODEL. HOWEVER I HAVE ALWAYS MODIFIED THIS CAR WITH A NEW ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ETC. WITH THE STI EJ20T SWAP IN ORDER FOR THIS CAR TO REACH ITS PEAK PERFORMANCE. AND I'M GOING TO DO IT AGAIN

Safe yet stylish

by 3 Burus Owned from Topeka, KS | January 6, 2009

Late-90s Legacies brought luxury to a spartan AWD mountain climber. Look for well-maintained GT LTDs.

WARNING! This model is notorious!

by Head gasket victim from Woodbury, CT | December 4, 2008

"Subaru Warner" puts it best: Google Subaru head gasket. The 98 models had a serious problem with the 2.5L dual overhead cam engines. There is a good chance this year/model's head gasket will blow. Because of the dual head setup, this is an extremely expensive repair. I don't know what year subaru fixed this problem, but these cars, the legacy and outback models in particular, are known for eating through brakes quickly, rotors included. Wheel bearing issues are also frequent, and repairs for these things are expensive. I have a 98 legacy and in the three years that I've owned it, replaced all four rotors, twice in the front, all four wheel bearings, an alternator and the head gaskets. In fact, three months after the head job, they blew again, this time frying my motor. If I were to replace the motor (around 1500), this car will in three years have cost me 4600 in repairs. It's been a nightmare and I'm not the only one with this story. The big thing to keep in mind is there's really a good chance to blow a head gasket. Most dealers are aware of this problem but will not be forthcoming about it. Avoid this car like the plague.

The best winter car out there!

by Anne from Wisconsin | November 29, 2008

This is my 3rd Subaru and I'll buy a 4th when this one goes. Handles very comfortably in snow / ice / sleet conditions. Great performance all-around.

So stable in snow

by Subluva from Denver,CO | April 21, 2008

I think the look of this year's GT are very unique. It handles nicely in mtn. corners and always starts up. It digs in and grips when you need to accelerate. Great on Gas to

Featured Services for this Subaru Legacy