1998 Subaru Legacy

Information Coming Soon

Overall

A cautionary tale

by snowboy from Stevens Point Wisconsin | May 14, 2014

A cautionaly tale...keep in mind I like Subaru's. This Legacy Outback is the second one we have owned. Unfortunately we got burned on this car by buying from a non-Subaru (Chevrolet) dealer used. The car supposedly had 98,000 on it, a trifle for a Subaru but... The first week we discovered the brake calipers were locking up and the discs worn beyond repair. It all had to be replaced. The next thing that happened was it kept eating O2 sensors. We found out in the process that that someone had installed a 2.2 liter engine. The last 2.2 model year was 1996. Oh, did I mention the windshield was leaking? Good money after bad we just kept coaxing money out of our wallets. The final straw was the timing belt self-destructed with a symphony of metal slamming into metal inside the hapless engine. The bottom line is Carfax doesn't disclose much that is useful. In Wisconsin lemon laws only apply to new not used cars and yes and the dealer disclosure is effectively useless. Moral of the story. Have YOUR mechanic check the vehicle BEFORE you take ANY dealers word and if they even blink WALK AWAY! Even a trusty reliable tough Subaru has the potential to be a nasty surprise. Never ever repeat EVER neglect to have that timing belt changed after 60,000 miles. At $600 it is a lot cheaper than $4500+ for a "new" engine. If it fails your engine is toast right then and there. The good part? Even in the throes of agony this beast still made it from point A to point B in a winter of record snow without blinking and until the final death rattle started like a shot at -30 below.

205,000 miles and still like new.

by hooked on Subaru from Phila., Pa. | December 1, 2011

I love the way it looks. Real GT LIMITED. Nothing stops it.. I had it since 2002 w/ 98.000 routine maintenance. 2 timing belts,head gaskets, catalytic converters,2 CV joints, 1 rear wheel baring and a couple of other things. And I will continue to replace whatever it needs. Body is white and very shiny, tinted windows, High power stereo system All leather and the best thing is I don't have a car note. Thank You.

Great Car !!

by V70Cub from Delaware | September 19, 2010

Owned a 97 Subaru Legacy GT2.5. Awesome looking car, Great gas mileage avg 24 MPG combined highway and city driving. Love this car during the snow day. So easy to drive making a deep snow road an easy task to do :) Cheap maintenance but beware of the Blown Head in 2.5 Engine thru 98 or perhaps 99. New Model was out for 00 Model. Check the car for excessive oil leaks in engine compartment as well as if there s any coolant leak into the engine ... Big $$$ Replaced it with a volvo v70 ..i miss how cheap Subaru can be :(

Solid, Reliable Car

by KJMCLark from Ann Arbor, MI | August 12, 2010

We bought our '98 Legacy used in 2004. It's the Brighton model, the cheapest model, but it's almost exactly what we wanted. Fuel economy has always been great, it's easily roomy enough for our family of four, and it's been rock solid reliable. We regularly haul a trailer with it, load up the roof rack with two tandem bikes, it has tremendous traction in all conditions, and we took it from Michigan to Fargo ND last year with no problems. Terrific car.

love is not cheap

by Saint from Cleve Oh | July 30, 2010

I recently bought this year and model for my son for winter driving. It is extremely great for snow, but the joy did not last long. The car lasted 6 months, It is now heading to the scrap yard. DO NOT BUY any 97-98 subaru w/ out knowing for sure that the head gasket has been replaced w/ the newer style gasket. The overheating from the blown gasket has warped the heads and sprung oil leaks all over. My only option is a new motor, radiator and more... Shame, my 16 year old really loved this car a lot I only wish I did my homework better and the dealer had a heart. I suspect they will occupy the chair next to lawyers in the afterlife...

The most reliable car I have ever had

by Car lover from | May 21, 2010

Subaru is a very safe and dependable car. When you keep it well maintained, she will serve you forever.

Favorite Car

by Tennesse Tom from | March 4, 2009

MOST RELIABLE CAR I'VE EVER HAD. FINALLY NEARLY KILLED ME WHEN I HIT SOME TREES IN THE ROAD ONE WINTER. DESPITE THAT THE CAR SAVED MY LIFE. I'VE BOUGHT ANOTHER OF THE SAME MAKE YEAR AND MODEL. HOWEVER I HAVE ALWAYS MODIFIED THIS CAR WITH A NEW ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ETC. WITH THE STI EJ20T SWAP IN ORDER FOR THIS CAR TO REACH ITS PEAK PERFORMANCE. AND I'M GOING TO DO IT AGAIN

Safe yet stylish

by 3 Burus Owned from Topeka, KS | January 6, 2009

Late-90s Legacies brought luxury to a spartan AWD mountain climber. Look for well-maintained GT LTDs.

WARNING! This model is notorious!

by Head gasket victim from Woodbury, CT | December 4, 2008

"Subaru Warner" puts it best: Google Subaru head gasket. The 98 models had a serious problem with the 2.5L dual overhead cam engines. There is a good chance this year/model's head gasket will blow. Because of the dual head setup, this is an extremely expensive repair. I don't know what year subaru fixed this problem, but these cars, the legacy and outback models in particular, are known for eating through brakes quickly, rotors included. Wheel bearing issues are also frequent, and repairs for these things are expensive. I have a 98 legacy and in the three years that I've owned it, replaced all four rotors, twice in the front, all four wheel bearings, an alternator and the head gaskets. In fact, three months after the head job, they blew again, this time frying my motor. If I were to replace the motor (around 1500), this car will in three years have cost me 4600 in repairs. It's been a nightmare and I'm not the only one with this story. The big thing to keep in mind is there's really a good chance to blow a head gasket. Most dealers are aware of this problem but will not be forthcoming about it. Avoid this car like the plague.

The best winter car out there!

by Anne from Wisconsin | November 29, 2008

This is my 3rd Subaru and I'll buy a 4th when this one goes. Handles very comfortably in snow / ice / sleet conditions. Great performance all-around.

Featured Services for this Subaru Legacy