1999 Subaru Legacy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

1999 30th Anniversary L Sedan

by Ner in Pennsylvania from Lancaster, Pa | March 7, 2013

My wife and I bought this car new in April of 1999. We also owned at the time, and still have a 1997 Legacy Brighton wagon. We loved the styling, features, and AWD at the time, and still do. Even after 14 years it is still a sharp looking car. The car currently has 106k miles on it, and we still own it. It has not been quite as reliable as the 97, but is still a good car. Issues over the years have included: an oil leak at a cam shaft seal at 6 years/55k miles. Cost $500 to repair, including replacing the timing belt which became oil soaked as a result of the leak. About two years later an intermittent starting problem surfaced. Had the starter replaced at a cost of about $300. About the same time as the starter issue one of the electric motors controlling the sliding moon roof went bad. Most recently, (late 2012) the check engine light would periodically come on then go off. Local mechanic diagnosed it as a timing issue and corrected it at a cost of $300. Other than these few issues, which really is not much over a 14 year period, we have been very satisfied with the car. Our current plans are to have the moon roof fixed and give the car to our oldest daughter who will be sixteen in a couple of years.

my third subaru

by Matteo from Indianapolis, IN | August 13, 2012

This car has been reliable and relatively maintenance free. You have to keep up with the regular maintenance, and things do wear out over time, but if you keep up with the car it will provide years of service.

Great all around car

by 99 Limited GT from Pine Grove, PA | January 24, 2012

I presently have a 99 2.5gt limited 30th aniversary and despite having the previous owner poorly take care of it after some TLC from my own pocket the car runs great, the 2.5 DOHC engines are reliable for the most part though you need to watch out for the headgaskets and if that temp gauge starts going up then pull over and call a tow truck it rarely happens though so long as you take care of the car with regular maintaince and it runs great in snow and off road all around a great car despite a few rough edges here and there

Vary reliable

by Hank from Ithaca, NY | October 29, 2011

Great car/only costly repair @ 90000 miles-replaced rusted out fuel feeder pipe. Brakes excellent. Could stand a bit more HP to prevent numerous downshifts on long hill climbs(automatic). Have always felt comparatively safe in this car. I replaced my original tires at 60000 miles(most driving is around town ). I am 86 years old.

Outback SUS a great all around car!

by westu37 from New Jersey | January 1, 2011

This vehicle has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I never had a car tht could go just about anywhere and do just about anything I wanted to do. My only concern was the lack of driver seat adjustability. I found the seat to be uncomfortable on the back of the knees after long trips.

best and most reliable car for the money

by subaruian from Morris County, NJ | July 15, 2010

Purchased new and through the years has been dependable and cost efficient to maintain. Only problem encountered was corrected at no charge under warrentee. I've owned BMWs, GM cars, Ford Motors cars (also Jaguars), but this was the workhorse. Best in rain and good in snow. I'd buy another.

Terrific First Car

by 997 Turbo Kid from LaGrangeville, NY | January 22, 2010

I bought the car a little less than a year ago with about 83, 000 miles on it. So far it has run flawlessly. I'm able to throw all my hockey and lacrosse gear in the back and still have room for a friends hockey bag or two. The car is spectacular when the weather is not. On numerous occasions I have used the car in the snow and every time it has impressed me. I have even taken the car offroad in shallow mud and it has performed beautifully. The car is truly best when the driving conditions are dismal. It is a very comfortable car, but unfortunately the comfortable ride means a rather soft suspension so the handling is not terrific although there is a fair amount of grip through the turns. The performance is not terrible. I found the 0-60 time to be around 9 seconds and it is quite fun when your on a back road as long as you're not driving too fast. The brakes are very soft and fade quickly. Stopping short is not one of the cars strong points. When all cleaned up the car looks pretty good. I have the automatic transmission which is average for a 99 wagon, nothing special. The car overall has been a joy to have as well as reliable and accommodating. If you're looking for a car that you can drive in the winter and be reliable, then this is the car for you; but if you're looking for something fun and sporty, then I'd opt for the legacy 2.5 GT.

great car!

by just a driver from Oakland, California | January 1, 2010

I purchased it with 32,000 miles, in 2001. It now has 140, 000 miles. There was a major head gasket repair 4 years ago. No major repairs since then, only maintenance. I've driven it up and down the west coast of North America, from San Francisco to Vancouver, BC, in winter and summer and not had any problems. It is very comfortable and handles well. I definitely would buy another Subaru.

Snowballs into a Nightmare

by Loved it....At First from Sutton, MA | November 5, 2009

When I first saw this car, I loved it. I bought it used with about 110,000 miles on it, after getting a clean bill of health from my mechanic and a CarFax report. I love the way it handled - especially in tough weather. That being said, a car cannot handle well in any condition if it continues to break down...which mine does. In the past two years, I have had break work done, both axles replaced, a new fuel pump, and now it's having engine problems. Minor issues include having to replace wipers more often than normal, and lights going out on the interior sporadically. It's cost me well over $1500 bucks in such a short time, and I am not going to even take the time to pay for this new engine problem. Be warned.

Very safe car

by Legacy Owner from CT | January 1, 2009

I bought this car with about 100,000 miles on it, and it's still running strong. I live in CT, and the weather here can get pretty bad at times, I feel safe with the Legacy since it has AWD and anti-lock brakes. The styling is pretty nice especially for an older car. I have the 30th Anniversary Edition L model, which as upgrades such as alloy wheels and a power sunroof. The interior is comfortable for long trips, very supportive and doesn't strain my back. There is a pretty large trunk, larger than the new 2009 Legacy's. Power is adequate, but a little bit lacking. I think this engine should be atleast 165 horsepower (as found in the 2.5GT), but without the problems the 2.5L H4 engine had. All in all, this is a great car, I've had very little maintenance to it. Just the normal oil changes, brakes, timing belt, the only problem I faced which did cost me a lot was the catalytic converter which went at around 135,000 miles. I would recommend this car though to anyone who just wants to a safe and reliable car for all weather conditions.

Featured Services for this Subaru Legacy