2006 Subaru Legacy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Avoid Subaru junk and buy Honda, Toyota or Nissan

by SubaruJUnk from N.H. | February 25, 2014

78k and now I need a 2-3k repair of head gasket (pull entire engine from car). This problem is well documented (now) on numerous forums on-line. Many people complain that even after this 2-3k repair they blow the entire engine. These failures occur at higher and lower mileage. Dealership admitted it is not uncommon. This affects the 2.5i engines in numerous models. Car is otherwise mediocre in every respect and my 1992 Camry with 210k did everything better, with only maintenance type repairs (never should have sold it). True also of 2 Nissan trucks that went over 250k with no issues! 1979 Chevy Chevettes are expected to have this issue. Not a 2006 Subaru with 78k. JUNK!!!! Back to Honda, Toyota and Nissan (and I love my Mitsubishi Montero Limited...no issues with my Montero ever!) Legacy is only good in snow with studded snows, otherwise it's only marginally better than a front drive vehicle with 4 snow tires. Subaru is overrated JUNK!

Great engineering, subpar interior fit and finish

by Jude from colorado | January 16, 2014

I'm the original owner, I have 74,000 miles on the car, and I'm looking to replace it this year. That's about 25,000 miles sooner than I'd planned. What I've enjoyed about the car: the handling is great, the feel is precise and rock-solid. LIke one magazine review I read said, it handles like an entry-level luxury car. The all-wheel drive is nice in the snow, but not essential. I'm looking to trade it in because of un-fixable rattles in the air duct system that have been going on for three years, and a strange noise that's developed that sounds like knocking but the mechanics tell me it's nothing they can figure, probably a typcial sound for a Subaru boxer engine. But it sounds like a jalopy. The driver's side seat cover wore a hole in it after four years--I've never had a car where the fabric's been so thin that it wore through. I haven't had to do a lot of maintenance on it, except that the power steering belt shredded up at 65,000 miles, which surprised the mechanic. I had a Mazda and the belts were still going strong at 98,000 miles. The car's going to need some major maintenance soon--new valve cover gaskets--and I might have considered putting the money into to it to keep it going but then I'd still have a car with a deteriorating interior, rattles in the dash, and weird engine noise. So I'm going to look into a new car, probably something besides a Subaru.

Subaru disappointing

by toyota forever from Western Wyoming | December 6, 2012

I drive 1000 miles per week and I do four mountain passes in that 1000 miles. In winter it is extremely nerve wracking at times. I had a Toyota Camry hybrid and it got totaled. I wanted to try an all wheel drive and I need some decent gas mileage. Let me cut to the chase. The Subaru legacy all wheel drive doesn't handle snowy roads any better than the front wheel drive Camry. the Camry gets at least ten miles per gallon over the Legacy. At 95k miles, the subaru had a cylinder go egg shape and loose compression, according to the mechanic, causing me to have to spend $9000 dollars for an engine rebuild. It was a bad decision to get the subaru. I bought another Camry. the whole design of the car is just better.

Best car I have ever owned

by Jd68 from Pennsylvania | February 27, 2012

My 2006 legacy gt is the best car I have ever owned. Still going strong at 155,000 miles with very few maintenance issues.

One of the worst cars short of a Land Rover

by Legacy GT owner from San Francisco, CA | February 10, 2012

I have had this car as an original owner. Just today, 2 months outside of the 5 year warranty I find out the Turbo has gone out. I have 46,000 miles on the car and have adhered to the factory maintenance schedule to a fault. What car, has an engine or turbo that lasts under 50,000 miles? Additionally, there have been no engine warning lights that have lit up. Just a strange noise that has slowly been increasing over the last month. Disgraceful. Don't buy this car.

Two Problems

by Crispy Gorilla from Missouri | January 20, 2012

I bought a 2006 2.5i GT and there are only two things I can find that I don't like about the car. One: poor gas mileage"18.886 AVG". Two: Price. Other then that I love her!!!

Don't buy a SUBARU

by Trish from New York | July 20, 2011

2001 Subaru the engine blew at 82,000 miles. 2006 Subaru has leaking head gasket at 87,000 miles. Constant problems with car and now head gasket. According to garage Subaru is notorious for defective engines. Will never buy a Subaru again!

Overall very good car

by Car Crazy dude guy from NJ | July 6, 2011

I inherited this car from a family member a couple months ago. Now it's legally mine but i have been around this car since my family bought it brand new. I love this car alot since it has a lot of sentimental value to me. It has great looks a pretty decent acceleration for a small 4 cylinder engine. it's not a turbo i wish it was but still good acceleration. I like the color alot its atlatic pearl blue. It's roomy, spaciuos, quiet and an overall blast to drive. It's a 2006 and it only has 10k miles on it. i love it, it's basically a new car. Mileage is awesome im getting 23mpg all city which is 200 miles on a half tank. That's ridicuolous. Again i love this car and stronglely encourage anyone else considering to buy this car to buy it.

First car (of my own), I love it!

by Ian R. from Gillette, WY | April 18, 2011

Let me start off by saying you get a lot of looks when you drive around in one of these. Mine is black, and the windows are tinted, and the body of the car just has that sharp awesome look when you drive by. Overall, I love my Subaru! Comfort: Don't get me wrong, its comfortable, but it starts to get uncomfortable when you drive 600 miles from the dealership back home. It has lumbar on both the driver's seat and passenger's seat. Performance: 250 HP, 250 Ft lbs of torque, turbo charged 4 cyl Subaru boxer engine. Like i have seen in some other reviews, before you know it you will be going 90 if you haven't driven one of these before. Exterior styling: This is one of the main reasons i bought this car, for its looks. Mine has a stock spoiler on it so it adds that extra awesomeness to the profile of the car to make it stand out. Interior Design: Well its leather, and it has heated seats. What much more could i say? Oil Change time: When it became time to change oil on it, i found that it is probably one of the easiest vehicles to change oil on, convenient placement of the drain plug, and oil filter. Its not placed so that it makes a huge mess. I change my own oil because I cant trust oil change places. Love the placement. Features: There are alot of nifty things that come with it, heated mirrors, auto dim rear view mirror, compass, garage door buttons on the rear view mirror, windshield wiper warmers, power outlet in the console, cruise control (most cars have this- still love it though), AWD. These are probably some of the main features that stand out. Something else i thought was nifty is when you pull the handbrake, it will shut your running lights off. There is also a display beside the clock that will inform you about gas mileage, and statistics. For my first car, i think i did pretty well, to sum it up.

Love this car

by Ian from Milwaukee, WI | February 22, 2011

First off let me say I love almost everything about this car. I've owned it for 3 months now, and I still love it as much as the day I bought it. Pros: 250hp turbo is very nice, especially on the highway Don't get people looking to race AWD is excellent in the snow I haven't had to replace anything on this car yet *knock on wood* Interior is very ergonomic and everything is within reach. Nothing seems out of place It's one of the few cars I can comfortably fit in (I'm 6'3") You don't see very many of them, which makes your car unique Cons: Rear seats leave much to be desired in terms of leg room It's not as nice as a BMW 335xi or an Audi S4, but for half the price I'll gladly drive my Subaru Gas mileage is subpar in winter (currently getting 18.5 average) All in all, if i had to do it again, I would buy this car in a heartbeat

Featured Services for this Subaru Legacy