2012 Subaru Legacy

Available in 7 styles:  2012 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Love this car

by Ken from Atlanta, GA | April 22, 2014

Bought this new- it has been perfectly reliable. Always runs great. This is my first Subaru and surely won't be my last.

Performance, practicality, value

by Primetime from Milwaukee, WI | January 22, 2014

Review is for a 3.6R Limited. Best family sedan I've ever driven. Traded in my 5 series BMW for the Subaru in March of 2012. This car is very practical, great in the snow, easy to get my 2 yr old in and out, and an absolute beast in overall performance. I don't get the "wow" factor anymore but who really cares and I can always take my 911 Porsche for that.

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 6-speed *Great Value!*

by JohnnyB from Bellevue, WA | November 12, 2013

We purchased the 2.5i with the 6 speed manual, which felt lighter and faster compared to the CVT option. We also opted for the cold weather package (heated mirrors & seats) driving lights, rubber mats and alloy wheels. For the 20 months we've owned it now, we haven't had a single mechanical issue. Being 6'5" tall, I found this vehicle to be one of the more roomier sedans on the market in this price range and still have plenty of room for long legged kids in the back seat. It drives great in the snow with the stock M+S tires. We also appreciate the simplicity of the knobs and buttons on the instrument panel. For the money, you can't beat Subaru for their low $20k base price. It's also a lot of fun to drive.

Great car

by Jasper from Scranton PA | July 19, 2013

Had my 2012 Legacy for 21 months now, no issues at all. Great fuel mileage 30-33 hyw ,28 local,lots of interior room. Local dealer is fantastic.

Used car review

by AWD Fan from Prescott Valley, AZ | May 6, 2013

Bought the base model with 16k miles. Pros: AWD, comfortable riding car on long trips, large gas tank, great fuel mileage, sporty feel compared to the Outback, well built sun visors, gas shocks on trunk and hood, good exterior visibility. Cons: small trunk and trunk opening, engine vibration during cold starts and sometimes at a stop light, wrong placement front cup holders, numerous under dash noises, cheap Bridgestone stock tires, CVT groaning noises, sluggish 4-cyl engine.

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

by J from Bismarck, ND | April 30, 2013

I bought this car after conducting a ton of research on this model, vs a GT, 3.6, etc. I wanted a GT but was looking for the gas mileage the non-turbo'ed model offered, due to if I had the power available, I would use it :) First of all, I was slightly impressed with the power of the 2.5 matched up with CVT transmission. With the sport paddle shift, you can keep the 4 cylinder in its power range for zippy driving. I bought my vehicle from plano subaru in TX. I have to say they were AMAZING!!! I am from ND and flew down to get the vehicle. There was a minor hiccup with the vehicle after I got there, but they COMPLETELY took care of me. I will be flying down there again to get a vehicle. SO...if you aren't sure where to look, maybe start there. They had the cheapest prices I found online and anywhere else. I spent a month looking also, at a number of different years and models (3.6, 2.5i, GT's, etc). I purchased the 2.5i limited because the seats are AMAZINGLY comfortable. They are definitely more comfortable than the premium's cloth seats. No comparison. The interior is beautiful. The display of the cd player is a ok, but if I wanted a better display I guess I could have stepped up to Navigation. The gas mileage coming back from TX was ok. I got 30 mpg with a tail wind only!!! Other than that this car cruises nicely on the highway (70-80) and gets 28-29. HILLS....if you are traversing any hills or a headwind, look for 26 mpg at best. In town driving it stays around the 25 mark, so hope this helps for you people looking for realtime gas mileage. I am 6'4", so I need leg room!!! This thing has it :) I can sit in the back seat when the front seat is almost all the way back. Gives you plenty room for carseats and such as we have a 11 month old. Also, the speakers are much niceer and give you the ability to control mid, bass, and treble quite nicely with the limited package vs. the premium. Body roll, yeah, there is a little, but the comfort of this vehicle FAR surpasses what you lose in handling (which isn't much!!!). This car can still hug tight corners and stick to the road beautifully without leaving you feeling like you are sitting next to your passenger, or vice versa!!! All in all, I LOVE this car!!! I downgraded from a 6 cylinder, but haven't missed the fewer ponies yet! Being in North Dakota, we get a lot of snow, and this vehicle gets around great! Still plenty power to zip your AWD through snow and mud. The controls on the steering column are simple, but functional as to what you really need. Dual climate control is awesome as well. Really great buy for your buck! Try to pick up an AWD in another make or model that offers everything subaru does....you won't! If you are on the fence between the premium and limited, don't scoff at the extra money. What you get is worth it!!!! AMAZING VEHICLE....and did I mention Subaru of Plano ;)

Great Value

by Working Mom from Hickory, NC | February 18, 2013

Love the full time all wheel drive. Good gas mileage. Versatile style for travel. Enjoy driving this car every day.

Pleasantly Surprised

by 3rd Legacy Owner from Holden, MA | January 21, 2013

Ok all you car researchers, here is the review of the 2012 legacy from a repeat legacy owner. Quick back story, I have owned a 06 2.5GT, a 07 2.5i limited and now a 12 2.5i limited. While the 12 still cannot hold a flame to the power of the GT, the CVT transmission matched to the 2.5 power plant provides plenty of go go power. I did a lot of research before buying the 12, specifically about the handling capabilities. Most people said "if you hate body roll, don't buy the new body style". Well, they are not all wrong. The new body style does not take corners like my 06 and 7,but the 12 still provides a solid performance on the tight turns and off ramps. It took a few days getting used to the larger hood and reduced sight lines. What I noticed most in the turns was the movement in the seat. The larger body allows for more seat, which in turn leads to more lateral movement of the driver in the seat. The older seats really held you in place, but the new seats are much more comfortable, especially on long rides. Overall interior style is very nice. Fit and finish is good and the upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo is nice. Rear leg and head room is caverness in comparison to the 07 which makes it much easier trying to strap in the kids than before, which used to require a class in contorsionism. I drive 100 miles per day commuting, so i get a pretty real MPG of 29.3. I have yet to see anything over 30 even thought 90% of my mileage is highway. Get into the throttle a bit more and work the CVT and you are down around 28.2. The paddle shift is nice in traffic, and even nicer when you break free. It is a bit strange getting used to the sound of the engine as it matches the transmission, but once you get passed that, you can really make this non-turbo move along. Overall I am very pleased with the purchase of the 2012. If you want road hugging, rocket-ship performance, look at the WRX. If you want spacious comfort with a solid power plant at a great value, take the Legacy for a ride.

Poor Engineering, even worse execution

by Thought it would be better from Lexington, KY | December 23, 2012

Had an older Subaru years ago and loved it, so I thought I'd buy a new one. Biggest mistake I've made in a long time. Engineers are designing the car as cheap as possible, and the build quality reflects it. I've had my new '12 Legacy for 8 months and it's been in the shop 6 times already trying to get the drivers seat to stay still when driving. I have a manual seat and the track system is very poor quality. Seat squeaks and moves around on the road. Had a loaner with an electric seat and that one was fine. I've also had engine idle problems. Cars almost dies out when sitting at a stoplight. Very aggravating. No low end power in my car at all. It's a 6 speed manual and it is S L O W. Overall, VERY disappointed in the car as a whole. Dealer isn't much help. Sure wish Subaru would buy it back so I could go get a real car.

My Fifth Subaru

by Subaru Fan from Fernandina Beach, FL | October 17, 2012

Bought my 2012 Legacy in July. This is my 5th Subaru since 1980. Great car so far - getting 35mpg hwy. Very comfortable. Before buying, read reviews that the radio was poor quality. Not so - radio/sound system is great. Looked at the Honda CR-V and Camry, but after my wife sat in the Legacy, she said this was the car. Rides great, and has excellent acceleration when passing on 2-lane hwy. Punch it and it takes off. Only down side - I miss the hatch back opening of my former Impreza.