2000 Subaru Outback

See Photos & Videos

Overall

12 years and going strong

by Subaru Owner from Rhode Island - Ohio | April 28, 2012

I bought this car new and it has been great. I chose it for the look, handling and the AWD for New England winters when I was commuting quite a distance to work. It never failed me. I have had to do some minor repairs on the exhaust system and a torn CV boot and replaced the brakes and the hydraulic hatch opener thingies, but other than those smallish issues it has been smooth sailing. Complaints: the interior has way too few cupholders (yeah I know, that's crazy to focus on but it actually has been an issue); the driver's side mirror basically fell off pretty early on so there are some issues with the quality of the interior construction; the car holds on to moisture (it can fog up *on the inside* sometimes, which is weird- but it's only happened a few times), but on the whole the car has been everything I wanted. It drives through deep snow like it's nothing; it can haul a ton of stuff; passengers have loads of legroom; I can parallel park it with ease. It's actually a really big (roomy inside) vehicle but it drives like a much smaller one - very manageable. The minimal (almost lack of ) "blind spot" is also great. I love my Subaru and will hate to sell it...hope that day doesn't come for a while!

Best In SNOW

by PamAtHome from Traverse City, MI | January 31, 2012

This is my second Subaru, I owned a 1991 sedan, which was very small. I live in the Michigan snow belt and NEVER got stuck in snow with either vehicle. Repairs are a little high, but this car is worth it.

Cost me thousands of $$$ for head gasket repairs

by Disgruntled Subaru owner from Vancouver, WA | August 15, 2011

This was my first new car, and I enjoyed the driving experience-- until the head gasket started leaking and needed replacement at around 60K. After that, the replacement seals leaked and needed replacement every other year to the tune of around $600 per replacement. This occurred three times until the gasket blew and wasn't noticed until the block had cracked-- after the original + 3 replacements = four gaskets. It died at 120K, which is "fair" for any car but I had certainly expected a much longer lifespan for the vehicle, which was otherwise running and was maintained fine. The only other criticism was the placement of the drink holders: the dual holders pop out above the climate and radio controls: When you have a drink being held, it is impossible to access either of these.

Good used car to buy

by Family man from Framingham, MA | August 5, 2010

I have had it for about 2 mos. and have no complaints. It drives smooth. Not too shabby mileage for the age of the car. It gives me around 23 in city. Haven't driven much on highway. Looking forward to another decade on this vehicle.

Great for a doctor on the go

by subielover from nicholasville, ky | April 21, 2010

this car has been through everything with me! i bought it new in january of 2000 and had to part with it in january of 2010. they're awesome in the snow, offroad, wet roads and ice...you name it! mine has seen it all. it handles the interstate like a pro and drove me up my long driveway during snowy winters. it survived 3 kids and 2 dogs. great car that i hated to part with, so i traded it for a 2010 model.

DO NOT BUY A 2000 SUBARU....OTHER YEARS ARE GREAT!

by jslice5454 from Denver, CO | December 16, 2009

TWO WORDS: HEAD GASKET....yes subarus are awesome cars, and all I even wanted was a subaru becuase all my buddies had one and all of them made it close to 300,000 miles or more...BUT BEWARE!!! the 2000 model was redesinged and the HEAD GASKET were designed poorly and they rupture and this repair job is almost 2,000 dollars and it will rupture again right around 50,000 miles after the first 2,000 grand leaves your pocket...THIS IS NOT JOKE! SUBARUS ARE AWESOME CARS JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE year 2000 model and you will be safe. Done belive me...type in Google, "Head Gasket blown in my 2000 subaru" and then talk to me. I have had the worst experience with this car and I am not alone. Google it and see.

Excellent car, great in snow, read the MANUAL!

by Outback Driver from Rochester, NY | October 28, 2009

My vehicle is now 10 years old. I keep up with the scheduled maintenance listed in the manual and to date, this vehicle has out-performed and out-lasted any vehicle I've ever owned. I live in upstate NY and weather is a serious consideration here. This vehicle, especially when coupled with good snow tires, is just AMAZING! I'll take this over our 4x4 SUV ANY DAY...it puts 4x4 to shame and the low profile and low center-of-gravity provided by the boxer engine is incredible when dealing with horrible driving conditions. The bells and whistles on this vehicle are ALSO second to none. Most times, the electronics tend to give out on vehicles, usually the power windows and mirrors are first to go. My car STILL has every bell and whistle in full operation!! The ONLY thing that I could complain about is the comfort of the seats. It has fantastic lumbar controls and contorts in just about any way possible using a simple power lever, however they just aren't that comfortable. In Subaru's defense, I have been in newer Outbacks (after 2004 or 2005, I believe?) and they have finally addressed this problem. However, the new Imprezas and Foresters are still pretty uncomfy as far as I'm concerned. I can't WAIT to purchase my next one and will most likely be an Outback driver for life!

I like my Subaru

by Subaru-driving student from Portland, OR | March 25, 2009

Subarus are pretty durable little monsters. When my little brother jumped out of my car and I jumped out after him, forgetting to put my subaru in park, it took out a 2x2x4ft cement pillar with only a paint scrape on its plastic bumper (don't worry, the neighbor's juniper bush got it to stop). And then a tree fell on it, I dunno if I'll ever be able to use the roof rack now, but other than the dented roof rack and shattered windshield, it barely took any damage. I bought it used at less than it's blue book value because it has a ton (or like, 190,000) of miles on it, but it still runs fine. Tons of trunk space, fits all my siblings, the dog loves it, I love it, it sure is a keeper.

does AMAZING in unpredictably weather

by subiedriver from danville, ky | December 15, 2008

i love my outback. ive had it nine years and it has never failed me! the transmission needs replacing but i drive aggressively and it has 170,000 miles on it.

Maybe mine's a lemon?

by Anne from Washington | February 6, 2008

I bought this Subaru (the limited--fully loaded version) in 04 for its reliability. After three and a half years, I've put more than $4000 of repairs into it with another $1200+ needed. I've replaced head gaskets . . . twice. My catalytic converter is going out and the speedometer stopped working last week for awhile. Brakes & windshields I've expected, but every time the sensitive check engine light comes on (which is ALL the time), it seems to promise another $1000 repair. I shall never buy another Subaru.

Featured Services for this Subaru Outback