See Also: 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

2002 Subaru Outback

2002 Subaru Outback

Available in 7 styles:  Outback 4dr AWD Sedan Ltd shown

Overall

Sturdy, reliable, a few issues

by Celtic Gardener from Atlanta, GA | December 2, 2013

Have owned my 2002 Impreza Outback Sport from new (12 years). Very reliable, solid ride, maybe a bit lacking in the looks department. Surprising amount of road noise for highway driving. Has required some more expensive maintenance over the last few years, despite only doing 90,000 miles (engine seals replaced, couple of AC overhauls, new catalytic converter). However, mainly in-city driving in the humid south, not its prime market! AWD makes it fabulous in rain or on mud (it also got used for trucking stuff around in my gardening business for a while). Came out well from a minor shunt. Regular trunk space a bit limited, but can get huge amounts in with back seats folded down. My gripes would be that the A/C has never been quick or particularly cold, fuel economy isn't great (about 21-2 mpg in the city, 25 highway), rust spots starting to appear on roof. Gray interior trim shows every mark, rear passenger space a bit tight. Despite this, great little car, and resale value still looks good.

It has Made Me Love Subarus

by Alex from Boulder, CO | September 5, 2013

I bought this car about a year ago from a private seller, and I am absolutely in love with it. Its a small car, so its not to good for tall people but since I'm short its a rather comfortable ride. The interior has a classic style to it, but rich in grey shades that give its a very stylish look. Its decently fast but can haul up a mountain like a beast! I use this thing to go hiking and camping all the time. (lives in Boulder Colorado.) Its safe, a good ride and has a beauty engine purr to it. (that sound me me love Subarus) Highly recommend, Mines going strong at 145,000K. Just need to re-charge the A.C.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Literally just saved my life

by aaronrweaver from Cullman, Alabama | September 10, 2012

About 2 hours ago i rolled this car 7 times on the interstate at 80 mph. The opinion of myself, the emts, and the state trooper that was part of the wreck said they have never seen a car this "whole" after an accident like that. And said that in twenty years have never ever seen someone get out and able to help traffic control after something like that. i am looking on website to buy the exact same car. i will let subaru save my life over and over.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

I loved this car

by Elle from Denver, CO | August 29, 2012

I was recently in a very bad accident i was hit in the side by an suv going 50 the car was totaled but the thing saved my life! The doctors said it would've been much worse if i hadn't been in such an amazing car! This car took the impact like a champ i mean this thing is a tank, this car took some serious impact. its so safe and it looks amazing so much room in the front seat and i loved this car i will be getting another one with the money i receive from my insurance! this car is amazing!

Outback H6:3.0 (LL Bean)

by Stein13 from Hermosa Beach | February 1, 2012

This is my second Soob. Had an '87 back in the day. Love the utility of this wagon. Just moved and it was a workhorse. The H6 is highly recommended. More guts and very smooth on road trips. My only gripe is gas mileage - which around town is surprisingly low.

Long lasting

by subiemike from desert hot springs,calif | October 25, 2011

Subarus are the most relaible cars i've owned. I have 2 outbacks, one with 206k and one with 148k, and the resale value is still high on both.

Subaru outback

by jg from Southern Indiana | June 1, 2011

Great car .Good handling great fuel economy.Superior product.Very fun to drive.Very comfortable.I would definitively recommend.

Worst Car I've Owned

by No More Subarus from Sacramento, CA | August 23, 2010

I got my 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Wagon in 2003 when it was 1 year old. From the day I drove it off the lot (and it wouldn't start again when I stopped), I've had nothing but problems with it. The amount of money I've had to pour into this car to keep it functioning is unbelievable and once I can afford to get a new car, I will. EVERYTHING has had to be replaced long before it normally would: the clutch, the brakes, every filter, the belts... literally everything. And I've had a Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord before this car (both of which I loved and should've stuck with). I got the Subaru b/c I lived in Colorado at the time and many of my friends liked theirs. Talking with many mechanics over the years, they're always surprised to hear how much I hate my car. When I come back the next day, more than one had said they looked into it and it seems like this was just a bad year/model for Subaru. Just my luck. Regardless, I'll never get another Subaru.

Highly recommend

by Crossford from Athens, Pa | July 17, 2006

I can't think of any negitives for this vehicle. I also have a 1996 Outback with 170k miles and it is still going strong. Wouldn't buy anything else for the money.